The online racing simulator
Overrated Games
(118 posts, started )
Quote from Thunderhead :The story? Combined with interesting, non-repetitive gameplay?

For me, "RPG" already means repetitive gameplay. I finished the original FO but quite a bit of it was fighting+looting for leveling up. If I were to look for story I'd play games like BioShock, which I did, and felt that these told stories much better than RPG's due to the concentrated pacing. Same with JediKnight, MaxPayne, Mafia and most recently, Mirror's Edge!

Since it's more FPS-like this time... Maybe I should give FO3 a try?
If Bioshock was a little more polished in the weapons/combat department I think that would have really lifted it over the top. I thought the feel of the pistol and machine guns was very off... on the other hand the grenade launcher and chemical thrower were lots of fun. The wrench would actually cause me some discomfort, I would actually grimace a bit when laying into enemies with the wrench, it was really brutal!

A good game overall but certainly not the revolution it was made out to be.
Quote from yoyoML :For me, "RPG" already means repetitive gameplay. I finished the original FO but quite a bit of it was fighting+looting for leveling up. If I were to look for story I'd play games like BioShock, which I did, and felt that these told stories much better than RPG's due to the concentrated pacing. Same with JediKnight, MaxPayne, Mafia and most recently, Mirror's Edge!

Since it's more FPS-like this time... Maybe I should give FO3 a try?

FO3 is not exactly an FPS. The statement "Oblivion with guns" holds true, so think about that.
definetly GTA games.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Loved Bioshock, never played SS1 or SS2, Hated Fallout 3, never played Fallout 1 or Fallout 2....

Bioshock I loved becuase it immersed me, and it wasn't so much the story, it was the environment, it made me want to see more, explore, look at details. It has to be the first FPS game that I beat from start to finish without cheats, and enjoyed the whole way.

Fallout 3.. I just.. I can't get into it for some reason.. Bores me to death no matter how hard I try to get into it.

Yeah i love bioshock i just boight it a week ago and slowly playing it to enjoy it more
Operation Flashpoint 2, anyone (not released though.)? Seems overhyped. I saw the leaked gameplay footages and they look like Call of Duty clones instead of an OFP game. Guess I'll stick with ArmA.
I have to say both Bioshock and Fallout 3 (Xbox360) captivated me completely and made me forget about any other game I recently bought.
Thing is though, I never finished those exact games while I have finished pretty much any other game I've bought.
They're beautifully designed games, but for me, they are the type of games you forget when you play something else halfway through.
They're not overrated, but just really taste-sensitive games. (Which is why they're the hottest topic of this thread...)

All Simbin games and rFactor, now THAT's overrated. Especially in terms of realism. iRacing and LFS are the only ones that get the closest, yet they are still miles away of what's inevitably possible through computer simulation.
Gran Turismo 4... I still don't understand how the hell I spent 60 € for this crap.
Quote from squidhead :There are several reasons it's not "the best game ever", but I must say, it does create quite a few stories you can tell to another gamer... (I recently found Andale... who has been there, knows why it's so special)

Yep, Good ol' Andale :hide:
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Gran Turismo 4... I still don't understand how the hell I spent 60 € for this crap.

Driving a car in gt4 with a g25 over the nordschleife doesnt feel that bad honestly.
Quote from Stefani24 :Driving a car in gt4 with a g25 over the nordschleife doesnt feel that bad honestly.

Yes, you're right I had some nice fun on the Nordschleife in fact... On Cita di Adria too... Mainly with the Lotus Elise... But that's all. The rest of the game is really bad.
Quote from pb32000 :Most single-player RPGs aren't necessarily over-rated, they bore me. Just what's the point? What are you playing towards? MMOs are where its at.

A game, with no storyline (only the base setting) that has a sole purpose of making a player repetitevly pump his character for eternity... is better than stuff like KotOR or Mass Effect? I must say you should go to the sadness ratings with no postcount check

Quote from yoyoML :If I were to look for story I'd play games like BioShock, which I did, and felt that these told stories much better than RPG's due to the concentrated pacing. Same with JediKnight, MaxPayne, Mafia and most recently, Mirror's Edge!

Mafia's story was...well excuse me but it was PATHETIC. I installed it recently to see how it's aged, and it turned out to be massively predictable game with bad voice acting, flat characters and a surprising touch in the end. And Mirror's Edge has NO story, it's based on it's gameplay... there's no story (Politicians bad, your sister framed, make things right is a poor setting not a story).

The only games with interesting storyline recently for me were
F.E.A.R since I couldn't figure out WHAT was going on untill the final chapters
Mass Effect, but it's the same story as in KotOR, but I figured that out when I actually found out Sovereign is a reaper
Quote from squidhead :
Mafia's story was...well excuse me but it was PATHETIC. I installed it recently to see how it's aged, and it turned out to be massively predictable game with bad voice acting, flat characters and a surprising touch in the end. And Mirror's Edge has NO story, it's based on it's gameplay... there's no story (Politicians bad, your sister framed, make things right is a poor setting not a story).

Mafia was mostly predictable like all the mafia movies before and after it. But I was thinking about "telling" the stories. It has a very solid storyline without incoherences. Its development coupled with the actual action part gives really good pacing and never bores the player with too much routine. (Even the "routine" mission turned into a surprise.) That, I'd rate as a good story to tell in a game, and told well.

Same with ME. Its story, although small, goes with the action very well, giving it purpose. That the gameplay mechanic can be independently enjoyable is another thing.
I can't believe I didn't say this yet, but the Need For Speed's are so overrated!
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :I can't believe I didn't say this yet, but the Need For Speed's are so overrated!

Wow Dude, You were the one saying:
I WANT NFS BODYKITS AND MODABLE ENGINES AAAAA NOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from squidhead :A game, with no storyline (only the base setting) that has a sole purpose of making a player repetitevly pump his character for eternity... is better than stuff like KotOR or Mass Effect? I must say you should go to the sadness ratings with no postcount check

KotOR was actually one RPG that I couldn't put down. But it's just stuff like Fable, or Oblivion that get boring very quickly for me.

MMOs you play with human interaction, and you play to be the best. Sure 99% of it is grinding, but the 1% is far more fun than single player to me at least.
Quote from pb32000 :MMOs you play with human interaction, and you play to be the best. Sure 99% of it is grinding, but the 1% is far more fun than single player to me at least.

Still, can't agree with you... I just can't see the fun in MMORPG... Though after the preview I read on the next Old Republic, in which the developers promised to add a storyline with an end to it to a MMORPG, I think I might be interested in that one... Other than that, I doubt any other MMO would interest me
Quote from squidhead :Still, can't agree with you... I just can't see the fun in MMORPG... Though after the preview I read on the next Old Republic, in which the developers promised to add a storyline with an end to it to a MMORPG, I think I might be interested in that one... Other than that, I doubt any other MMO would interest me

The fun is in the social interaction. You meet people, makes friends, form bonds and work together towards a common goal. The storyline itself is secondary, although in some MMOs, like WoW, the story is actually a pretty good yarn.
MOTORM4X
it may look fun and be fun, but the competitions are soooooooo freakkkiiinnnnnngggg HARDDDD!!!!!!!!!!! i get last by a few minutes even though i go "fast"...
You are doing sometghing wrong then (just try harder :razz. I've finished MotorM4x in two days.

And a game isn't necessairly "overrated" just because it's hard.
Motormax seems to be more underrated, because Ive never heard of it.
Up until about 2 hours ago I thought that Call of Duty 5 (W a W) was a bit overrated...then I played it for the first time with the new patch....
got as far as the "Catalina" mission in SP, and I must say that was some bloody intensive gameplay! So much going on around ya that you forget that you are supposed to be shooting stuff. I got deaded on the first run-through just because I was admiring all the action/eye-candy... even forgot to hit the screenshot/video (xfire, of course! ) hotkeys to record it all!
So, for that mission alone..it gets a "WIN" !
Quote from jibber :You are doing sometghing wrong then (just try harder :razz. I've finished MotorM4x in two days.

And a game isn't necessairly "overrated" just because it's hard.

i havnt gotten anywreer...
Lfs
LFS is overrated . Flame me as much you do like , but i dont give a ****.
Quote from go sideways :LFS is overrated . Flame me as much you do like , but i dont give a ****.

Sig material!

Lol, I think your on the wrong forums. rFactor ones are a loooooong way away.

Overrated Games
(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG