The online racing simulator
How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DeKo :absolutely no chance was 120 indicated actually 116, no idea where you pulled that figure from, would be closer to about 100 - 110

Huh? Do you have calibration data on any and every speedometer ever produced?

I was basing on what the specs of top end was, which is why I stated I was guessing. I was somewhere around 120 to 125 on the speedometer. It is a little tough to know accurately by looking what the needle was at on a standard type bike at that speed.. It was about all she had though.
Pointless topic but well what the heck.

I have no evidence, but it's "only" 180 km/h. That's when my car hits RPM limiter in fourth gear. It will go faster with the new 5-speed box.

Tho because of this reply don't grow a image of me being a stupid boy racer or something. Usually I respect the speed limit better than my mom. It's the rare short stints and overtaking moments when I go "too" fast.
Quote from T.J. :I did go this fast Hope you don`t mind a thread like this, but it`s time to shut up the people that is bragging about driving fast and show some evidence!

The trees outside don't seem to be moving past very quickly. I think your speedo is extremely broken.

FWIW a friend of mine got caught doing 110mph on the M1 last night. That'll be an instant ban, then.
BlackPrince at Paris Ring (top speeds around 155 mph):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxMQW0rdHM&fmt=18

Suzuki Hayabusa speed run to about 185 mph:
http://jeffareid.net/real/busa185.wmv

Magazine speed run on a Hayabusa to about 185 mph before camera mount breaks loose:
http://jeffareid.net/real/busasr.wmv

Normally aspirated, souped up Hayabusa going GPS 211 mph (speedo shows over 220 mph):
http://jeffareid.net/real/busa211.wmv

2 mile runways may not be long enough. Corvette Z06 on 3 mile runway, runs out of room and has to slow at around 190 mph. 190 to 198 mph (the Z06's top speed) would probably take another mile.

http://jeffareid.net/real/z06190.wmv

Turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa reaches trap speed of 235 mph in less than a mile on a short test track:
http://jeffareid.net/real/busa235.wmv

On tracks I've gone 125mph in a car (short track), and 140mph on a motorcycle (larger track).
I found myself accidentally doing 105mph, years ago going down a big hill (down which you could see a good mile in front of you, don't worry ) in my mum's Orion. It really was *accidental*, I felt like I was only doing 70 or so until I looked at the speedo.
31km/h on my bycicle.
42mph on my mountain bike

EDIT: Speaking of going fast on a bicycle, when I was about 14, by mate's bike got stolen. It showed up back in his garden about a week later, still with it's electronic speedometer, which had recorded a top speed of *85mph* sometime since it disappeared.

I blamed aliens
Quote from mrodgers :Is the autobahn magic or something to where it is impossible to crash and hurt yourself or to crash and hurt someone else?

For one thing, most traffic on the autobahn is running around 200 kph or 124 mph, so less speed differential. The lanes are wider. There are also rules, the "slower" cars need to stay on the right, and getting rear-ended in the left lane will often be considered the slower drivers fault (unless the speed differntial was so high that the slower driver couldn't see the approaching car in time). There a courtesy rule about using turn signals when the slower cars do go into the left lane when passing slower still cars as a warning to any fast approaching cars. Short of a track, the autobahn is probably the safest place to go 300+ kph (186+ mph).

In Germany, you could also pay to run a few laps at the Norsdschleife, which has a couple of very high speed sections.

I live in California, although the speed limit is 70mph, there are a few highways, like the 5, in the isolated areas between San Franciso and Los Angeles where traffic speeds range from 80mph to 90mph, with occasional cars going 100mph.

Due to aerodynamics, many cars start getting "loose" from lift at speeds between 155 mph to 185 mph, depending on the car. A few are safe at 200 mph (if souped up), but this is a very small percentage of cars. Motorcycles don't suffer from this issue and bikes with modifed engines but stock body work have gone 235 mph without issues. Example of souped up RX7 at Bonneville, lifts the rear end, starts spinning then goes airborne (driver was ok).

http://jeffareid.net/real/rx7215.wmv

Then there's the Mercedes blowover from 1999 Lemans (driver was OK):
http://jeffareid.net/real/mercfly.wmv

Drag racing crash, near the end of 1/4 mile, runs now reduced to 1000 feet. Driver was OK and is racing again:
http://jeffareid.net/real/jfan.wmv

200 mph speed run? ... I'll take the bike please.
Quote from danthebangerboy :
Silly speeds and rural roads is a very bad thing, as is acting like a race car driver on the roads if you have passengers, i can literally lose count of mutual friends, plus three very good mates that i have lost due to excess speed on unsuitable roads and road conditions, and every one of them was either a passenger, or an innocent party involved in a collision with a rally wannabe or a drink driver.

Road rallying is about driving down rural roads fast. They're relatively safe, obviously the roads are by nature slow with a target speed of only 30mph being very difficult to keep up with (assuming you get lost). That's not to say that crashes aren't a common occurrence, just that the typical off in a road rally amounts to little more than panel damage and a tow out of a ditch. The speeds on well chosen properly rural roads are sufficiently low that when it all goes wrong you can normally loose most of the speed before you run out of the black stuff. Well chosen routes will be such that triple figures are not possible and running at night has several advantages, firstly there is almost no traffic or pedestrians about, secondly oncoming vehicles can be seen from a much further distance and thirdly when you can't see a lot on a road you don't know your never going to drive as fast.

Far more dangerous is the thrash down a somewhat wider, faster road you know very well in the middle of the day.

Quote from JeffR :
I live in California, although the speed limit is 70mph, there are a few highways, like the 5, in the isolated areas between San Franciso and Los Angeles where traffic speeds range from 80mph to 90mph, with occasional cars going 100mph.

You have amazing roads in Nevada and Death Valley that are just straight until the horizon with absolutely nothing along them, truly mind blowing and I think one can really drive as fast as they like down such roads without endangering anybody but themselves.

Quote :
Due to aerodynamics, many cars start getting "loose" from lift at speeds between 155 mph to 185 mph, depending on the car. A few are safe at 200 mph (if souped up), but this is a very small percentage of cars. Motorcycles don't suffer from this issue and bikes with modifed engines but stock body work have gone 235 mph without issues. Example of souped up RX7 at Bonneville, lifts the rear end, starts spinning then goes airborne (driver was ok).

No car should suffer from high speed aerodynamic instability unless they have either had huge design flaws (late 90s GT1 cars and current prototypes) or are operating well outside their design limits without any proper care and consideration being made to the effect (that RX7, the AC Cobra, lots of tuned American stuff...). A standard production car in good condition should remain safe and stable to its designed maximum speed with a significant safety margin.
Quote from JeffR :For one thing, most traffic on the autobahn is running around 200 kph or 124 mph, so less speed differential.....

You only quoted half of the statement. I did state that you wouldn't have a clue as to what road it was. So, what you are saying is that driving at an extreme rate of speed with other traffic also driving at high rates of speed is much safer than drivng at extreme rates of speed with absolutely no traffic? It would be much safer to drive down a local road near me at 200 mph with 0 traffic than it would be to drive down the autobahn at 100 mph + with other traffic at 100 mph +.

Quote from Kev :The trees outside don't seem to be moving past very quickly. I think your speedo is extremely broken.

I can't get his exif data on the laptop I'm using, nor usually from attached images but do search for what shutterspeed is with a camera. Just because trees are captured frozen in the frame without movement, it doesn't mean that the camera was sitting in the car stationary.
Quote from JeffR :For one thing, most traffic on the autobahn is running around 200 kph or 124 mph, so less speed differential. The lanes are wider. There are also rules, the "slower" cars need to stay on the right, and getting rear-ended in the left lane will often be considered the slower drivers fault (unless the speed differntial was so high that the slower driver couldn't see the approaching car in time). There a courtesy rule about using turn signals when the slower cars do go into the left lane when passing slower still cars as a warning to any fast approaching cars.

no, no NO
thats just way off

"most traffic is running around 200kph"
The Autobahn is actually a great place to show societies two-class-system:
There are people that run 200+kph, and there are people who have to pay for fuel themselves.
From my observation and personal experience most people drive somewhere between 100 and 160kph.

"the lanes are wider"
thats actually the only correct fact

"slower cars need to stay on right"
...if the right lanes is free, but even then the faster drivers have to go there too

"and getting rear-ended in the left lane will often be considered the slower drivers fault"

BULLSHIT
it will only be slower drivers fault if he pulled out right in front of the faster guy

"There a courtesy rule about using turn signals"
definitely not a courtesy rule but rather law
i once went 5kph and i was so scared i allmost pooped my self :P

and LMAO i get my car faster then that on QR's front straight the front straight its 501 meters

lol btw thats not mentioning what i have done on the public roads as a speed test :P

my car goes off the speedo at 200KPH in 4th gear and i still have all of 5th to use so yer

ps up untill 2 years ago NT used to have no speed road called the stuart highway
Quote from ajp71 :No car should suffer from high speed aerodynamic instability unless they have either had huge design flaws. A standard production car in good condition should remain safe and stable to its designed maximum speed with a significant safety margin.

This is why many high powered sedans are speed limited to 250kph (155 mph), even though they have enough power to go much faster. The Corvette Z06 is speed limited to 330 kph (205 mph), just in case someone soups up the engine. The first year Audi TT is an example of a car with a design flaw that caused the rear end to lift and the car to spin at high speeds in turns, with a few incidents on the autobahn (the next year model added a rear spoiler and adjusted the suspension for understeer).
The fastest I went on a motorcycle was about 90 mph (145 km/h) about 45% more than the limit with my father on his BMW 650GS bike. I think my father went 100 mph (160 km/h) in a 1999 Pontiac Montana van, it has been a very long time since.. I forget exactly...
Quote from speedway :"most traffic is running around 200kph"
The Autobahn is actually a great place to show societies two-class-system: There are people that run 200+kph, and there are people who have to pay for fuel themselves. From my observation and personal experience most people drive somewhere between 100 and 160kph.

I was just going by what I heard from a couple of ex co-workers who immigrated to the USA from Germany. Perhaps the co-workers were from an urban area where there was a higher percentage of faster cars?

Quote :"slower cars need to stay on right" ...if the right lane is free, but even then the faster drivers have to go there too

The co-workers stated it was illegal to pass on the right on the Autobahn.

Quote :"and getting rear-ended in the left lane will often be considered the slower drivers fault" it will only be slower drivers fault if he pulled out right in front of the faster guy

Yes, but in the USA it's almost always the faster drivers fault, even if the slower driver pulled out right in front of the faster driver because there isn't supposed to be that kind of speed differential on the highways here in the USA.

Quote : "There a courtesy rule about using turn signals"
definitely not a courtesy rule but rather law

I meant using a turn signal to indicate that a car is slower. If I remember correctly, using the left turn signal while in the left turn lane as a warning that it was a slower car. I've seen this in a few videos of the autobahn and the co-workers stated it was a courtesy and common practice, but not a law.
145-150kph and i couldnt reach teh car in front of me
Quote from mrodgers :You only quoted half of the statement. I did state that you wouldn't have a clue as to what road it was. So, what you are saying is that driving at an extreme rate of speed with other traffic also driving at high rates of speed is much safer than drivng at extreme rates of speed with absolutely no traffic?

Although a driver may not know the road, knowing that the road is designed to be safe at 300kph (186 mph) is information enough. If going 300 kph while in gaps between traffic, and slowing to 200 kph as the car gets close to traffic, it's safer because the drivers in the other cars are expecting to see cars traveling at 200 kph.

As far as sparse traffic goes, having a fast car well in front of me lets me know I can safely follow at the same speed as long as I maintain the relatively large distance so I can slow as soon as I see the other car slow, assuming that I'm not following a Porche while driving a truck that can't corner well.
Speed Kills and it kills more commen toads!!!
98 before I had to brake hard for my exit.
<--- meh

Quote from JeffR :I was just going by what I heard from a couple of ex co-workers who immigrated to the USA from Germany.

pure bs
average speed is ~140

Quote :The co-workers stated it was illegal to pass on the right on the Autobahn.

but its also illegal to drive on the left when the right lane is free
ie you have to weave left and right when theres lorries in the right lane with enough distance between them to drive on the right

Quote :I meant using a turn signal to indicate that a car is slower. If I remember correctly, using the left turn signal while in the left turn lane as a warning that it was a slower car. I've seen this in a few videos of the autobahn and the co-workers stated it was a courtesy and common practice, but not a law.

doesnt happen
the only thing good drivers usually do is indicate left to show drivers entering the autobahn that theyll stay left
230kmh In a RB30 powered R32
100kmh Sideways in my car

Yes it dangerous no I dont care.
Toyota Soarer
1jzgte version, no shitty V8 :P
160mph+ on my bike on the A1 Autobahn in Germany
This thread is closed

How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG