The online racing simulator

that rear wing looks very nice (the sides of it). they almost reach to the ground...
Livery suits it well
The main body of the Red Bull looks alot similar to a GP2 or Renault World Series car, more so than the others.
Another ugly car. Doesn't matter much anyway. It's the last year of F1 as we know it anyhow.
Quote from Intrepid :Another ugly car. Doesn't matter much anyway. It's the last year of F1 as we know it anyhow.

I've got the same feeling... Let's just hope someone wakes up and stands up to the FIA...
Well yes I agree with you that Formula 1 is in dire straits. But even with the controversial decisions, the FIA are not the cause.

Motorsport is being hit hard at all levels. The modern era of motorsport relies heavily on the investors (sponsors), none more so than F1, where the biggest budgets are to be found. The economic climate is shrinking the profits of these big companies, it wasn't long ago I remember reading AT&T were cutting 12,000 jobs, these are the big investors of Williams F1. The situation with the DaimlerChrysler, the majority share holder of Mclaren F1, is sure to have an impact, aswell as the obvious engine manufacturers loosing profits e.g. Honda. So basically, the FIA need a shake up of the system, the economic climate will be like this for a good few years, so if action is not taken now, i dread to think that will happen. One thing i do think, F1 could use a salary cap system.
A salary cap would have DIRE consequences for the whole of motorsport. Part of the reason dads, and families invest thousands, if not millions of pounds/dollars etc... into their son/daughter to go racing is that in the hope they will make it as a pro and get a return on investment. You cap the salaries of the drivers and VERY possibily a freak load of investment would be pulled from karting through to single seaters.
Quote from Michael Bentwood :DaimlerChrysler, the majority share holder of Mclaren F1

Daimler AG since 2007. Still has 19.9% stake (I wikified myself) at Chrysler though.
Salary Caps, would they work?
Well Intrepid you do have a good point. But i still cannot see how paying 35m a year to Kimi Räikkönen can be justified?

I believe evasive action needs to be taken to save F1 and all the jobs that will be lost from its downfall.

Also, in my opinion a salary cap will help to level the playing field as that seems to be the goal of the FIA.

Im all for salary caps, I think, if drivers want to make more money than their wage from the team, they should take it upon themselves to find endorsements.
I am wholly opposed to salary caps. That's not the way forward. the market will re-adjust itself naturally. Teams won't be able to afford these sums anyway so there is no need for any interference. It's doesn't work in general economics and it won't work in F1 either.

Also many of the wages are off set by the sponsorship a driver brings to a team. So if you reduce the wages a driver may look elsewhere and take his sponsorship with him. There's so many complications to introducing a salary cap that could be negative it's not worth it. Let the market do it's thing.

F1 anyway is the biggest illusion in world sport anyway. It isn't, and hasn't been for many many years a showcase for the best driving talent in the world.
Red Bull RB5

Massive endplates
love the paint job
Paintjob looks like it's a russian team - the white, blue and red stripes are in the opposite position as on the russian flag
An unusual nose.

Good thing about this years cars, they all look noticeably different. Most years if you painted them the same colour, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
Wow, that new Red Bull is incredibly interesting, there's a lot of strange stuff on it.

I'm particularly interested by the rear suspension, which looks to me like a pull-rod system, I haven't seen anything like it on rear suspension since the late 80's.. in fact it kinda looks like the rear suspension isn't fully independant. Also looks like they're using huge rear wing endplates as an extension to the diffuser.. front wing is also very intricate, and the sculpting on the nose is interesting.

The most radical '09 car by far, everyone else looks conservative by comparison.. I can't wait to see how it performs
Attached images
djm0909fe29qb1.jpg
3266767658_68a83037e5.jpg
The rear suspension isn't independant. That would be rubbish.

But the pull rod system is a great idea. Not usually done for 'packaging' reasons, but perfect for the CoG.

I like the steering arms, which aren't inline with the top wishbones anymore, so they can be used as a mini vertical turning vane.

Sculpting on the nose is clearly to give space for the rockers and/or meet the minimum cross section dimensions, but without adding bulk that would raise the CoG and add drag (possibly).

I don't think it looks particularly special - it's had an extra month of development, and I'm sure it'll look pretty standard when at Melbourne. The front wings, especially, are going to evolve almost beyond recognition this year.
The RB5 looks very nice!
Huge back wing! Nice!
Not particularly good looking car but somehow it looks the most "slender" for lack of better word to describe it.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Paintjob looks like it's a russian team - the white, blue and red stripes are in the opposite position as on the russian flag

then that makes it Serbian flag
i dont like it tbh, although it does have some interesting stuff on it. Also i thought barge boards were band? not talking about the mirror supports
fav car so far. Looks really great

2009 spec. Formula 1 Cars
(667 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG