The online racing simulator
is 2.6 ghz good enough to run lfs without any fps problems?
Im currently looking for a new desktop and have found one that has a processor speed of 2.6GHz and TBH i have no idea what is good and what isnt. Is 2.6GHz enough to run lfs without any major fps problems?
#2 - Jakg
Totally depends on what the CPU is - if it's an AMD, Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual core you'll be fine - if it's an older Pentium 4 you could have an issue.

With pre-built desktops a better issue is the graphics card - i.e they usually have rubbish onboard solutions.
#3 - garph
There is more that goes into it than that. Post the rest of the PC spec.

My Intel e6750 is 2.6Ghz and it runs LFS just fine but then there's the RAM, graphics card, etc...etc.
#5 - Jakg
Seems ok but an unlisted graphics card set off alarm bells.
Well, the CPU will run it smoothly, but I fail to see what GFX it has?

E : Stupid jakg always trolling hardware topic
#7 - garph
Oh.

That really doesn't tell you much at all Never brought a ready built Pc, thought that they would give more detailed info.

I've no doubt it will run LFS but not that great and have trouble with higher grid numbers.
#8 - Jakg
Easiest way is to go to Comet and ask - although one of my friends who can barely tell his elbow from a keyboard almost got a job there so perhaps just take a memory stick with GPU-Z on it :P

Does it have to be from a store? eBuyer etc should be able to provide MUCH more competitive deals.

EDIT - Garph - the people that update the descriptions usually just copy 'n paste from the Manufacturers site (evident from the fact that about 35% of eBuyer's products seem to have formatting errors in them!) - If it's not listed then rather than ask they just paste it in anyway. Most customers to those sort of stores will ignore the GPU and look straight at the vRAM anyway (and will happily argue it's all that matters even if they don't understand why...)
#10 - Jakg
Better, but still not amazing.

Have a look on HotUKDeals.com in the computers->deals section to see some good PC's for sale, and have a look at places like eBuyer etc.
Quote from dan926 :ive also found this one which is custom build http://www.cyberpowersystem.co ... thlon64_x2_custom_builder
i do need to add more stuff to it but thats a basic model that i did

What a idiotic deal is that. That AMD 5000+ isnt that great anymore. However they have a SLI emblem on it but it says that there is no 2nd GFX card there. And the GFX card isnt the best neither.

If I was you, You should make your own system. I dont even know that much about computers but still got fixed it on my own.
#12 - Jakg
I used to recommend DIY PC's to anyone - but for some people they really really aren't a good idea, as while it's not that hard to plug it together, basic incompatibilities that I would get over in minutes (because i've most likely had the issue before - i.e. my first install of Vista BSOD'ing straight away), could leave the poor guy stumped with no-one to turn to for support.
I was being lucky then, Didnt had any errors. Only that stupid Sapphire gfx of mine gave me BSOD's. But that was their mistake, flashed bios and everything went fine.

He should really look for an good system, Those Intel's inegrated gfx thing doesnt work for shit
#15 - Jakg
Gah!

(Edited).

Intel stuff sucks, but i'd guess that the Acer he linked to has an integrated ATi 3200 (that's a hunch, though).
Quote from Jakg :but i'd guess that the Acer he linked to has an integrated ATi 3200 (that's a hunch, though).

Hmm, If you say so. You understand alot of these things. I'm just someone that is intrested in these things but always fail to understand.

Choose your PC wisely, Or else you might kill it like what I did on my old system (took cheapass Asrock motherboard apart and broke it in two. 3rd board they gave me and all failed to work)

Anyway, off to bed.
jakg what would you recommend as a good pc with a budget of £400

i know its crappy but i have no job atm

As i know very very little about pcs

i need one that wont lag in big grids which is the main problem with my laptop
#18 - Jakg
Quote from dan926 :Hi.

I have found a Pc costing £423 and i was wondering if you could help me out on deciding if its good enough to play LFS without lagging in big grids which is the main problem with my laptop as i know nothing about the technical side of computers and you seem to know a lot more than me i thought i would ask your opinion and your advice.
heres the link to the Pc.
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcom ... 41E4700/tab/specification

It doesnt say which graphics card it has but i can upgrade that at a later date.

Also if you know of any other good Pcs that are around the £400 mark could you please suggest them to me.

Thanks for your time
Dan

To be honest it won't be spectacular.

I'd recommend something like this (thread on it here) with an add-in graphics card (i.e. 8800GT or 8600GT if you just play LFS), add an OS (or use the free Windows 7 Beta until it expires in August and then just buy Windows 7) and a monitor and your set.

(Replying here so people can critique what i've suggested)
ok thank you.
should the one from comet run LFS without major fps pronlems in big grids if i was to go for that computer
Grand Total: £1,108,557.45

On a PC???
Well, i have 2.6 ghZ - Nvidia Geforce 8500GT - 3GB of RAM, DTK Millenia G2500N and having over 100 FPS on good settings all the time.
Quote from shaun463 :Grand Total: £1,108,557.45

On a PC???

What's wrong with that? I spent much more then that on my PC. IMO that's a normal price for a kinda good PC.
1000 pound for a PC? You are out of your mind.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Didnt had any errors. Only that stupid Sapphire gfx of mine gave me BSOD's. But that was their mistake, flashed bios and everything went fine.

Right that is exactly the point. Doesn't matter whos fault it is, 99% of people aren't going to reflash a BIOS, end of.
Quote from dan926 :ok thank you.
should the one from comet run LFS without major fps pronlems in big grids if i was to go for that computer

No one can say for sure, unless they have that PC...and play LFS.

There really isn't enough detail in there to say, but, I would imagine that you'd have to run medium...ish settings (no AA or AF) and there is a good chance you'd get low FPS issues on full grids.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG