The online racing simulator
Which game has the most realistic car damage?
Title says it all, what game has the most realistic damage?
Grid
#3 - Jakg
Flatout?
I'll put in a vote for Richard Burns Rally, I guess just because it was incredibly unforgiving. When I first got that game I could barely make it 500 feet before my car was totalled. Might not be the most realistic looking damage, but if you hit a tree there is a good chance your car isn't starting back up again.
Ima side with Jack... Flatout has the most realistic damage (as far as looks are concerned)

As far as mechanical, probably one of the old Colin Mcrae games.. (probably 4) or RBR.
I wish LFS had, some more realstic damage.. you can hit a wall like 150MPH and just reverse out like nothing happend.
Ive played grid alittle bit, not flatout yet, if only grids damage was on LFS.
Quote from UncleBenny :I'll put in a vote for Richard Burns Rally, I guess just because it was incredibly unforgiving. When I first got that game I could barely make it 500 feet before my car was totalled. Might not be the most realistic looking damage, but if you hit a tree there is a good chance your car isn't starting back up again.

There's a lot of luch involved...you could nudge a tree and total your engine, or smack a tree with your rear end, roll 5 times, smashe through a fence and into a house at high speed and be able to drive off normally!

Okay, mabye I'm exaggerating a bit!

Flatout is good, I've got Flatout 1 for the pc and Flatout 2 for the ps2, but I don't remember the damage being that good...has there been a new game? EDIT: There has been, and the damage is good, yes!
id say gta 4
Actually, just yesterday I was playing RBR, and clipped a bridge about 100 yards from the start. Ended up rolling about another 100 yards down the road, but my car was stuck in 5th, with the handbrake locked and no brake pressure. So I finished the stage like that, took a good 10 mins. Then it landed me at the start of the next stage, without stopping for service. I raged

I must try Flatout sometime if I can find a friend who has it. It looks very good indeed
#10 - Jakg
Handling is arcadey (why i play it with a joystick and not my G25) but it's still pretty fun.

Enjoyed the Demo of Flatout1 more than the latest version though
Is RBR that good? I still remember that game being cheap on stores here in holland if im right.
#12 - Jakg
Probably the most realistic rally sim to date - so yes!
GRID only looks good. You can't "feel" minor damage or even aero damage, only if the damage indicator for something goes red.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Is RBR that good? I still remember that game being cheap on stores here in holland if im right.

Not perfect, but as Jakg said its one of, if not the best, rally sim to date.
I'm surprised no one said Burnout. Most arcade racing fun by far even if your scraping along a wall at 170 + mph, it's the "fatal" collisions that have the best damage effects
Quote from Sueycide_FD :I'm surprised no one said Burnout. Most arcade racing fun by far even if your scraping along a wall at 170 + mph, it's the "fatal" collisions that have the best damage effects

Just want to mention that Burnout Paradise is also on PC now, they also added bikes to the game.
Flatout 2 and the Burnout series were all great for damage, but at the moment it has to be GTA IV
GTA 4. I love it when Niko flies out of the car
Quote from Töki (HUN) :GTA 4. I love it when Niko flies out of the car

yes and damage makes your car go slower swerve left and so on.
For aesthetics, GRiD. I've only played the demo, but it's the only game I've ever played where if you hit a wall at even 60-70mph it caves in the whole front end of the car, right up to the bulkhead. Most games will dent the bumper a bit and you just bounce off. Unfortunately it drives like absolute arse.

For sheer *fragility*, as someone said, Richard Burns Rally. Apart from realistic damage, it's just incredibly satisfying to play as you really have to drive the car rather than just guide it as in a lot of rally games. It's the only rally game I;ve played where it feels like the wheels are turning the car, rather than it just rotating about some central point.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Just want to mention that Burnout Paradise is also on PC now, they also added bikes to the game.

YESH!
Hmm... some of the games with the most realistic damage I've seen so far:

Grid
Burnout paradise
GTA IV

And lets not forget LFS S2.
I'd vote on NFS Undercover on PS3.
RBR. I don't give rats ass how many manys the bumper can fall off. Mechanical damage is what matters and unfortunately absolutely the most underrated aspect of damage... even in our real sims.

Exactly like RBR but more dynamic would be a major step in this area. in RBR it often feels like "scripted", in a stage-1-2-3 kind of way.
GTA IV.

If only lfs had damage physics like those.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG