The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
Wet, and deeply depressing morning up here in the north of Scotland. The little amount of snow we did have has either gone away or already turned to slush.

Bring on Thursday
Christ, college closed again!

Quote from ColeusRattus :You're from Romford? Cool, was there about 10 years ago for two weeks in a pupils exchange programme. Fond memories of the Sir Frances Bardsley School for girls . (and just to be clear: no, I'm not one :P It helped though that we were only 4 boys in my class and 23 girls to make an exchange with a girls school)

I know we're getting OT, but what I wondered back then is how do you guys orientate there? Romford is mostly streets with the same red brick houses everywhere, like a maze! Not even the taxi drivers there knew where to go to take me to my host family.

You managed to get into Fanny Bashers? I didn't think they ever let boys in there.

Wouldn't say it's too hard to get lost here though, but I guess it helps if you live somewhere for 16 years, plus its all been 'done up' quite a bit round here in the last few years, not such a dump anymore.
Pathetic......

My daughters school phoned me yesterday, they were closing the school early because "of the safety of pupils and staff getting home"....

However, I had to drive DOUBLE the distance to get to her school to pick her up, and the roads were perfectly fine, it's utter madness.

It's got NOTHING to with safety, it's to do with lazyness, people wanting to skive off work/school, it's the British way, and they wonder why they give jobs to foreigners........
Quote from danowat :
It's got NOTHING to with safety, it's to do with lazyness, people wanting to skive off work/school, it's the British way

Do you have a problem with that?

I certainly don't.
It's a good job all these children with the schools and colleges closed are going to learn hardship... oh, no, wait a minute. They're going to be a big bunch of blouses..

'Sorry, I can't come into work. I've just had a shower and the bathroom floor is wet, so I've got to stay here until it evaporates'.

Northerners used to call Southerners soft pansies (or words to that effect). Unfortunately, it seems the south won, and everyone is a pussy.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's a good job all these children with the schools and colleges closed are going to learn hardship... oh, no, wait a minute. They're going to be a big bunch of blouses..

'Sorry, I can't come into work. I've just had a shower and the bathroom floor is wet, so I've got to stay here until it evaporates'.

Northerners used to call Southerners soft pansies (or words to that effect). Unfortunately, it seems the south won, and everyone is a pussy.

Would you rather send them down t'mineshaft?

Does everyone being a 'pansy' include you as well?
Weee we got moar snow, won't stick however. Biggest flakes i ever seen in my life though . Then again it may stick since it's been snowing for about a 1hour 30 mins and dose'nt seem like it's going to stop within several hours.
meh... woke up today and there was no snow...... but still no school for some reason
I wish our snow could disappear in a single day. We had 2 days of warmer weather (was out Sunday withou t a jacket on at about 38F) and I think the snow in the yard has melted down to just about 14 or 15 inches deep. It's now just ice. I can barely get my door open to the house. My driveway will have mounds of snow bordering it until at least March, maybe April.

Next week they are saying in the mid 40's all week, yahoo! Unfortunately they can't even get it right and it changes between the 6 am and the noon newscasts...
Quote from tristancliffe :It's a good job all these children with the schools and colleges closed are going to learn hardship... oh, no, wait a minute. They're going to be a big bunch of blouses..

LOL

On topic : I have a legitimate reason for not going to work - Trains have been cancelled and there's no way I'm riding in. As for buses, well I'd have to walk 1 mile to the bus-stop and I'll fall over because I'm a numpty.
Why can't you ride in? Oh yeah, you're a committed fair weather biker

I'm just a scaredy cat.
i can't even explain in writing how hard i just laughed... AWESOME sign!
Quote from mrodgers :I wish our snow could disappear in a single day. We had 2 days of warmer weather (was out Sunday withou t a jacket on at about 38F) and I think the snow in the yard has melted down to just about 14 or 15 inches deep. It's now just ice. I can barely get my door open to the house. My driveway will have mounds of snow bordering it until at least March, maybe April.

Next week they are saying in the mid 40's all week, yahoo! Unfortunately they can't even get it right and it changes between the 6 am and the noon newscasts...

Further south on saturday we're getting 56F and the rest of week in the upper 30's to mid 40's. TBH i think the groundhog lied to us!
Quote from Christopher Raemisch : I would guess it's by far cheaper to shut everything down for a day, then have to maintain the equipment and people to deal with 1 days worth of weather, some years it never happens.

Unless you believe those "made up" figures of how much it cost our economy for all those people to stay at home for a day.. yeah right ok.. It's all BS.. The way they calculate the figures is to work on the premis that all those people were paid a days wages to do nothing productive. That's not a real cost, it's an imaginary one that does not have a direct relationship to loss of business revenue. I hate the way the media panders to business like that in this country. Trying to make people feel guilty for having (in a lot of cases) not potentially put their safety at risk just to go to work.
umm as for the Brit vs N. American driving in snow debate, I'd just like to point out.. we have small roads over here, with bends and things called round abouts and actual real density of traffic Not the 3 mile wide straight roads with traffic light junctions and one car every half an hour that you guys have over there.
Quote from gezmoor :umm as for the Brit vs N. American driving in snow debate, I'd just like to point out.. we have small roads over here, with bends and things called round abouts and actual real density of traffic Not the 3 mile wide straight roads with traffic light junctions and one car every half an hour that you guys have over there.

I couldn't tell you the last time I was on a 3 mile wide road that was straight with traffic lights. We have what is called hills and mountains, and yes, there are bends on these hills....
There are some incredibily nice roads in America.

A guy on Youtube does fast road rides and films them, some ****ing awesome roads over there, and I'm jelous.
Roflmao, all over the news:
"GB has been hit by a HEAVY snow storm! It's about 5cm snow and schools are closed and busses and planes is completely stopped ..." And that's when I burst out in laughter!
I live in middle sweden and they dont close school for 40cm snow. Infact, they dont close school for anything, barely not even bomb threats
But this .. Ridicilous but I know, you aint equipped for winter but about damn time to do it?

Global warming? FU, global cooldown sounds more plausible!

EDIT: I drove my car in swedish winter with summer tires on. Couldn't be arsed and I couldnt afford to get winter tires.
If you know how to drive in snow, it's not a big problem. Just be easy and NEVER let the car completely stop, then you are most likely to get stuck ^^
'Cause you get it much more often in Sweden, you're prepared to deal with it and have protocols in place when such things happen.
That's a lie! :hide:
'Great' Britain really is a terrible place to live, anyway.
Is it true that it hardly is nice weather, always gray sky etc in GB?
Because everytime you watch TV from either movies, shows etc to car programs on Discovery Channel, it's hardly NEVER sun! o.O
But oh well, that's TV ^^
Weather's a bit hit or miss..

Normally it's pretty cloudy but dry.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG