The online racing simulator
Didnt you realise that someone said that it wasnt possible due to graphic engine? The engine builds up the track on one line, so free roaming would be impossible. Also: Said 9999999 times before.
Quote from Stefani24 :Didnt you realise that someone said that it wasnt possible due to graphic engine? The engine builds up the track on one line, so free roaming would be impossible. Also: Said 9999999 times before.

Didn't you realise that in Car Park there are no (or infinite) a stablished way?
Something to ponder:
Quote from Scawen :I counted recently in an answer to someone. Not lines but... here's what I wrote.

I don't know how many lines of code there are (anyway that would depend how many blank lines I include for readability and lines with just a bracket on them) but here's some hopefully more useful info : the source code is divided into 492 C++ source and header files and these include nearly 6 million characters of text.

Six million characters of text...quite a fair bit of effort from one person. I really doubt he would spent all this time, all these years on this game so racers can have the equivalent of AOL/AIM/IRC with cars.
Quote from Whiskey :Cruising is not a simulation of normal city driving?

lol. when ever i go in a cruise server people are speeding and drifting, that is not a sim of normal city driving.
#30 - Jakg
Quote from Whiskey :Didn't you realise that in Car Park there are no (or infinite) a stablished way?

the car park is fairly small, though...
Quote from Jakg :the car park is fairly small, though...

Jakg is right.. If it would be bigger we could build a nice racing track with barriers etc

-1 for cruisers.
Quote :Six million characters of text...quite a fair bit of effort from one person. I really doubt he would spent all this time, all these years on this game so racers can have the equivalent of AOL/AIM/IRC with cars.

Then, why has that time been spent on it? Really to have a good racing simulator, right? That does not exclude the fact the horizons could be broadend in the future, does it?

Yet, if the devs claim the engine can't cut it, then I do not see a point of discussing the fact that it is not possible.

But when I'm driving around, it all seems so damn realistic and I personally would love to see a game that allows you to drive that way in a pretty real environment, with highways and whatnot. Even with some basic AI traffic to avoid. The point of that is that it would be a whole lot of fun, obviously. Being one man and having no experience with that field of programming, I will never achieve anything that comes close to the realism of LFS. But just dreaming I'm whishing I could take the simulator stuff from LFS, redesign the way tracks are rendered so that in theory you could have roads that could go on forever, intersect roads, draw stuff on the roads (marks), put some traffic signs up and have a solid "track" designer as well... man, I really have in fact dreamed about something like this (no kidding, really... dreamed).

Anyway, my question is, what would be the main challenges to overcome if you were to start from LFS to create something like that? The physics would be pretty awesome already, tracks look good now but should somehow render differently or something?

I'm just wondering, what the challenges would be, technically. If we were to have access to the LFS source code (all 6 million characters of it) (which is not the case, and shouldn't be the case). Just wondering, but really, it would be so much fun, for me.
Maybe for S3, the graphics engine thing could be solved, by maybe rendering whatever track there is within a certain radius of you. And a track builder is allegedly going to be released. So I don't see why it can't be possible in the future. Personally, I don't think Scawen would mind what kind of users buy the game, as long as it's bought. There would still be racing servers, no matter what. But to simulate a proper realistic environment would be pretty awesome, even I'll say that
Quote from dougie-lampkin :a track builder is allegedly going to be released.

Since when? I don't recall Scawen ever saying that he'd allow user-created content in LFS. I think he said they'd "think about it" after LFS was complete, which could be years away if they decide to go ahead with S3.
I said allegedly. As in, it's very widely rumoured, if not assumed.
#36 - Etem
but what is when the developer make a Cruise game.
Where´s already Insim Tracks finished Layouts etc
from Live for Speed to Live for Cruise
why dont you build somthing on the AU track ( it big enought i would have thought.)

I my self is a racer than a cruiser and dont see the ponit in cruising ( but i do it in reall life tho) in LFS as its a racing sim.

ues i have a 5 mins or so smashing up my car in SP into a barrier (realeves all anger in me. and then think why is my car stalled and not starting.
#38 - Etem
you know autocross isn´t big enough
and when the developer make the limit higher it would be good
Oh C'mon!

I am little got fed up about "Let's do the available all the tracks so we get hide from the cops"...

I mean I am not against this idea, and I think Scawen neither, but the problem is when there is coming kids to play about this system, where is all tracks and so on, it just would gonna be a one big ****** mayhem at Aston or South City. Yeah, maybe funny and stupid but it is not Live For Speed as it is now .

Drifting is one kind of Sports. It has only a very different style, as like a monster jam. but that one will not be at LFS easily
I think we need to keep our mind off these "cruising environments" and wonder when the heck the Scirocco is coming.
I have a better idea for a cruising track...

Why not create a single playable track caled "LFS World", with all the tracks available now be some parts of it... The other part of the "LFS World" would be streetz, highwayz, mountainz roadz, forestaz dirt paths, beachz, seaz... You will havz you onwz houze and have to drivez fromz yourz houzez toz thez venuezz yourselvz and you couldz creatz pathz on the streetz to make itzz a big trackzzzz !! Like NzFzUz2z pnwz !!
U couldz have a wifez and kidz and die and grannyz and teachz themz to drivez lol Alzo becauzzzzzz ze trackz are farz, scavierz couldz stealz codez from MFSzzzz (Microzoftz flightz zimulatorz) to haz airplenz carrying uz and yourz carz aroundz the famouz lfs worldz !! (wez wouldz needz triz and flowerz to makez itz prettiz lololololol)

How does that sound? If this idea IS implemented, I swear I kill myself..
You know, I actually thought that the first part of the post was serious
Quote from Zen321 :airplenz

I'm going to use that spelling from now on.

Thanks for the laugh.
Ok.. LFS IS a racing simulator but if for some reason cruising, dragging and drifting wasn't possible wouldn't you just quit it? I mean what's wrong with some of you guys.. Some of you are like racists(not between skin color but between LFS tastes).

Lets not divide the LFS community into several parts between the different styles people found that could be implemented in LFS(talking about cruising, drifting and dragging again). Why not just be happy for everyone else, that they have found their part of LFS. If you hate cruising so much go ahead and create a new thread in improvements to disallow it. But think how much less users will there be to buy LFS.

I can say I see all the famous cruise servers full almost all the time.. But what about racing? Around 700 racing servers of which maybe 692 are not used? Cruise servers are around 20-25 max I think(including all sub servers of one cruising team) and around 5 of them are being constantly visited. Other 15 are other maps that people just don't like or cruise servers being developed.

And about one thing I saw that all the cruise servers are the same, they are really not, but cruisers can say that the racing ones are all the same too, can't they?

"Cruising kiddies" is something more I see more and more often. I gotta say. 1st whoever says that most likely doesn't know these people and actually he is the one acting like a child, because when he doesn't like something he thinks it should not exist. Personally I like all the aspects of LFS(racing, offroading, the off-tracking, cruising, drifting, dragging) because it's all about to have fun.. However what I like best for now is cruising and since I got really fed up with people coming in cruise servers only to be banned so they can put signatures like one I've seen "proud to be banned in all cruise servers" it really means that you can put your signature to be "proud to have a global ban for 90 days, because of cruising" soon and nothing else, I just quited it for a couple of days. Nothing personal to the guy tho.

I'm not trying to insult anyone with this reply but just to tell you that we all bought LFS and are playing it the way we like it. If you don't like it ESPECIALLY when it doesn't really matter to you why whine? Just leave it alone.

LFS is made so we can have fun playing it. Not to insult people playing it in a different way from the one most of the people like. You think cruising is weird or wrong or something? I think it's an imitation of the real life.

Also why do you think racers come more and more often to cruise servers? Because it's more fun to speed when it's forbidden, not because they only want to drive slow.

Soz, I gone a lot off the topic. For the full tracks I totally agree. Drift, cruise AND race servers can make more complicated and fun courses and city layouts. Only draggers won't fit since they need just a straight. xD
Although in part I agree, Broken - LFS is made to be a realistic racing simulation.

What people do with that is up to them, but yeah.

People mock being banned from cruise servers cause they don't matter to those who got banned, where as the cruise server that banned them seems to think it's a big deal...
Quote from broken :Ok.. LFS IS a racing simulator but if for some reason cruising, dragging and drifting wasn't possible wouldn't you just quit it? I mean what's wrong with some of you guys.. Some of you are like racists(not between skin color but between LFS tastes).

Dragging comes from drag-racing ans I think this explains the link between it and motorsports. Drifting is a new motorsport, like gymnastics arrived later than marathon or sprint. Is cruising anything sporty ? Is cruising a motorsport ? No.
I see no racism involved here. Stop comparing the uncomparable, please. It first shows that your argument is limited, then shows you are a j**k to try to influence people with the fear of being apparented to bad people, while they are clearly not.
Next, you're gonna say some of the racers want to send cruisers in concentration camps? Cruisers, since the game WASN'T designed FOR cruising, can understand that their way of playing the game does not suit the customers was intended for. Therefore, they have no justification to act as victims, since one of the condition of only-cruising is that your way of playing the game will always come last in respect with what are the initial objectives of the game.

Also, a difference between cruisers and racers, in this very forum, is that when a racer actually suggest something, it may/will apply to any player and not to racers only (night driving, rain, more tracks, etc). Have you ever seen a Tow-truck Racing Series on a straight highway??
In that sense, IF any 'side' is segregationnist, the cruisers are more likely to be than the racers.

Quote from broken :Lets not divide the LFS community into several parts between the different styles people found that could be implemented in LFS(talking about cruising, drifting and dragging again). Why not just be happy for everyone else, that they have found their part of LFS. If you hate cruising so much go ahead and create a new thread in improvements to disallow it. But think how much less users will there be to buy LFS.

I think looking at the stats of cruising or racing and drifting, I think the vast majority of users spends most of its time on the two latters.

Quote from broken :I can say I see all the famous cruise servers full almost all the time.. But what about racing? Around 700 racing servers of which maybe 692 are not used? Cruise servers are around 20-25 max I think(including all sub servers of one cruising team) and around 5 of them are being constantly visited. Other 15 are other maps that people just don't like or cruise servers being developed.

Your statement says it all. What about the famous race servers ? I'm thinking of CTRA1, Redlines, ConeDodgers, FM, etc... They are as active as the cruising servers, and with a quite strong certaintiy, more active.

Quote from broken :And about one thing I saw that all the cruise servers are the same, they are really not, but cruisers can say that the racing ones are all the same too, can't they?

What they mean by they are the same is that the Insim serve similar purposes in the very same way, while the genesis of the concept is that they are meant to offer a different experience. For example, let's look at ricing. A lot of people put Lexus-type lights on their car "to be different", but they don't realize that the vast majority of street ricers also have the exact same lights.

Quote from broken :"Cruising kiddies" is something more I see more and more often. I gotta say. 1st whoever says that most likely doesn't know these people and actually he is the one acting like a child, because when he doesn't like something he thinks it should not exist. Personally I like all the aspects of LFS(racing, offroading, the off-tracking, cruising, drifting, dragging) because it's all about to have fun.. However what I like best for now is cruising and since I got really fed up with people coming in cruise servers only to be banned so they can put signatures like one I've seen "proud to be banned in all cruise servers" it really means that you can put your signature to be "proud to have a global ban for 90 days, because of cruising" soon and nothing else, I just quited it for a couple of days. Nothing personal to the guy tho.

I agree some racers have a bad mentality on the cruise servers. But you can't deny that the emo-victim roleplay of cruiser gets on nerves, doesn't it ?

Quote from broken :I'm not trying to insult anyone with this reply but just to tell you that we all bought LFS and are playing it the way we like it. If you don't like it ESPECIALLY when it doesn't really matter to you why whine? Just leave it alone.

Then why don't cruisers let racers alone ? They ask for the same improvement all over the place, in a game that is meant for racing fans. Then what if they get the cruising tracks ? They will want sidewalks and old ladies with dogs walking on them ?

Quote from broken :LFS is made so we can have fun playing it. Not to insult people playing it in a different way from the one most of the people like. You think cruising is weird or wrong or something? I think it's an imitation of the real life.

Cruising is not wrong, it's a different way to play a racing game. When cruising gets wrong is when the 'authorities' of the servers enforce rules that are opposite to the essence of Live For Speed.

Quote from broken :Also why do you think racers come more and more often to cruise servers? Because it's more fun to speed when it's forbidden, not because they only want to drive slow.

That was the point of Cops n' Robbers that derived to cruise servers. A cat-mouse game, where the cops actually wanted to get in a chase. Now, in the cruise servers 'cops', 'police forces' are more authoritah-lacking dudes that park and chat all day long while eating donuts, and don't like when they get in a chase. If the 'suspect' is caught, then either he pays or is kicked/banned form the servers. Isn't it really a sign that the people who the server's owner gives his confidence to actually WANT everyone to drive slow?

Quote from broken :Soz, I gone a lot off the topic. For the full tracks I totally agree. Drift, cruise AND race servers can make more complicated and fun courses and city layouts. Only draggers won't fit since they need just a straight. xD

I think this is the only point we agree on. But please, no flowers, no old ladies with dogs, no crosswalks and no working traffic lights.
Quote from Zen321 :-snip-

TL;DR There is nothing wrong with cruising in LFS, it's just another way of playing the game. It is (SOME!) cruiser's attitudes that are the problem, and nothing should be developed just for cruising as it is not a motorsport, and LFS is a motorsport sim.

+1, I cruise sometimes, and enjoy it (*GASP*) but no time should be spent by the devs on anything specifically for cruisers.

Are there any cops + robbers servers still running? They were great fun, much better than cruise servers IMO.
Oook.. I know there are some dumb racers as there are some dumb cruisers. There are dumb people everywhere. Cruising should definetly NOT become main part of LFS.

To be honest I haven't seen people that want sidewalks and old ladies walking on them, maybe there are but all I want in LFS is physics improvements, more cars, more tracks, more options to customize the game and all the stuff that will be useful for every part of LFS instead of just drifting or cruising or racing or whatever more you like to do in LFS.

I want LFS to get better not in its in cruise aspect but on ALL possible aspects.

I want no blank spots in the off-track zone so we can make more off-track layouts.

I want VWS so we can all have another car and make drift sets, cruise, race, drag, go drive it off the track and have much fun with it.

I want crashes to be detected by the insim so in race, cruise, drift, drag people to be able to localize it faster.

I want editors so cruisers can make their city tracks, racers their favorite real life route, drifters their cool drift track, draggers their never-ending straight; so racers, cruisers, drifters, draggers, off-track drivers and everyone else can have fun with custom cars.

I want the things that everyone would like and I wouldn't request anything that would be fun only for me, since there would be noone else to share the moment with me. I would not like sidewalks and/or random people walking on the track even tho that it would be fun in some part if you crash a person, he flies to someone else's window and makes it bloody so he can't see clearly, but still its as stupid as fun.

From other side it would be good if the pit stop had real people that you could accidently crash so they can't fix a specific part of your car in which way you will learn how to make pit stops.

It's not about to have a part of the game. It's to have fun with your favorite part and let the others have fun with theirs.

Just my 2 cents. :P

Edit: Crosswalks already exist on some tracks' pits and if someone wants crosswalks so much he/she/it(in case its an emo) can draw one by lines.
Cruising should not become part of LFS, yet you want a feature (which is technically impossible in LFS due to the way it's graphics are rendered) to allow people to make their own (most likely terrible) tracks?

Sorry mate but LFS is, and will always be a racing simulator. If you can make crusing/drifting tracks by using the "autoX editor" thing, by using Insim and various other little things that people can up with, then that's fair enough.

I think it's highly unlikely that devs will implement either :

A)Ability for users to create thier own tracks, this will end up another rFactor which would be terrible

B) Custom cars as in user made cars? Read as above.

It's all very well saying "have fun with your favorite part", but it's normally the cruisers (sometimes the drifters) that make silly requests, such as flashing police lights and horns that are either "on" or "off", rather than press to hold.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG