The online racing simulator
I recently bought an xbox, and the other day I had a mate around who showed me the forza 2 demo. I thought, hmmm yeah worth a try, and then showed him LFS on the PC. I was actually embarrassed because there is simply no "wow" factor in LFS anymore. It has really aged

So I bought a preowned copy of forza 2 for AU $13 and have been enjoying it massively.

The only thing LFS has that Forza doesn't in the physics department is flipping, and we all know how unrealistic they are in LFS (fly me to the moon!). With the upgrades and tuning and telemetry, Forza has so much more motorsport than LFS ever will. Which is sad, because I really wanted scawen & co to keep the dream alive...

As for LFS's other drawcard - online play - well let's just say I haven't enjoyed a good race in LFS for a while due to low aussie servers (almost always drift). I've had Forza for 2 days and I had my first live game lastnight and had a blast. LFS is still good for large races, but most of my races were low population anyway.

I can even skin in Forza!! Decals give me instant gratification as I'm playing, or I can spend ours making skins like I do for LFS if I wished.

And boy is it nice to drive real cars for once... sure Gran Turismo has been doing this for ages, but Forza is SO much better. I think of it as the finer points of LFS + Gran Turismo.
Quote from Burnzoire :I recently bought an xbox, and the other day I had a mate around who showed me the forza 2 demo. I thought, hmmm yeah worth a try, and then showed him LFS on the PC. I was actually embarrassed because there is simply no "wow" factor in LFS anymore. It has really aged

So I bought a preowned copy of forza 2 for AU $13 and have been enjoying it massively.

The only thing LFS has that Forza doesn't in the physics department is flipping, and we all know how unrealistic they are in LFS (fly me to the moon!). With the upgrades and tuning and telemetry, Forza has so much more motorsport than LFS ever will. Which is sad, because I really wanted scawen & co to keep the dream alive...

As for LFS's other drawcard - online play - well let's just say I haven't enjoyed a good race in LFS for a while due to low aussie servers (almost always drift). I've had Forza for 2 days and I had my first live game lastnight and had a blast. LFS is still good for large races, but most of my races were low population anyway.

I can even skin in Forza!! Decals give me instant gratification as I'm playing, or I can spend ours making skins like I do for LFS if I wished.

And boy is it nice to drive real cars for once... sure Gran Turismo has been doing this for ages, but Forza is SO much better. I think of it as the finer points of LFS + Gran Turismo.

gamertag? we can race sometime
Forza is Xbox only right? 360? I got the impression that Xbox doesn't support any really good wheels, like G25. So is it any fun then? From the screens and all the bragging, I get the feeling this is better than GT5: p, but not as long as I can't use my G25 on it.
You're right - none of the mass-market wheels will work on a 360. Apparently it's something to do with the way it handles FFB. It's like the calculations are done on the wheel rather than the software (or something like that), so normal wheels won't function properly, if at all.
There are a couple of 360-specific wheels that are pretty good by all accounts, but I can't justify paying that much for a wheel that won't work on anything else. I don't mind using the pads though, since the game is designed for them - you don't need a wheel to get a good experience.

In terms of being "better" or "worse" than GT5, it's hard to say. GT5 has more detail and the tracks feel more alive, but it is just a demo and suffers from the lack of damage. The Forza interface can be a bit of a pain to navigate but the upgrades and tuning options are a bit better and more intuitive. And you get the skin designer. It's all relative.
Like I feared. GT5p is also designed for the gamepad, I guess, and it worked OK while I played the GT HD demo, but as soon as GT5p was released I bought my Playseat Evolution and the G25 and it's a world of difference really. I know this isn't the place to compare GT5 vs F2, but my point is that GT5p was really a whole lot better with a wheel than with the pad. Much more difficult, in a good way. Almost like switching from mouse to wheel in LFS. GT5 final will come with a full damage model (at least cosmetic, as far as I know. Check gtplanet.com for more) and will include the nürburgring and several times more cars. Then it's ready for contest!

And btw, the multiplayer in GT5p sucks. At least the last time I tried it, 4-5 months ago. Connecting to random servers with bad ping, random placement in the grid it seems, really bad punishment system for bumping, wipeouts, wrecking etc. LFS will always be victorious in physics and multiplayer. If LFS had the graphics and the sound of GT5 as well, and some real life tracks, I would buy a hydraulic racing seat, frex wheel/pedals and lock my door and stay inside forever
Quote from [Viking] :Like I feared. GT5p is also designed for the gamepad

GT5P is designed for the Logitech DFGT.
More rather, wasn't the DFGT designed for GT5P since it was released before the DFGT was?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :More rather, wasn't the DFGT designed for GT5P since it was released before the DFGT was?

You are correct, sir. GT5p doesn't have a profile for the G25, as it does for the DFP and DFGT, but if you use the DFP profile, it works top notch. Only disappointment is on/off clutch.
But this is a Forza thread. There is a GT5 one as well, which would be a better place to continue this debate
Lern2spinoff!!
GT and Fz are not in the same class... I don't care how much effort they reportedly put into their car's handling, it's all fluff and feels like rubbish. Forza was refreshingly nice to drive, even with a controller.

As far as wheels go, well it was your choice to go spend a fortune on a PC only wheel. Don't judge a game on whether it can or can't work with it.
Quote from Burnzoire :As far as wheels go, well it was your choice to go spend a fortune on a PC only wheel. Don't judge a game on whether it can or can't work with it.

Who and what wheel are you talking about? The G25 works with several games on the PS3
He's talking about Forza 2 and the xbox360.
Quote from Burnzoire :GT and Fz are not in the same class... I don't care how much effort they reportedly put into their car's handling, it's all fluff and feels like rubbish. Forza was refreshingly nice to drive, even with a controller.

As far as wheels go, well it was your choice to go spend a fortune on a PC only wheel. Don't judge a game on whether it can or can't work with it.

I assume that was for me. Yes it was my choice to spend a "fortune"(?) on the best wheel available, and it works perfectly well on every game on both PC and PS2/PS3. But not with the X360 which only works with it's own special wheels. So, I was not judging Forza 2, which looks like a great game, I was judging the X360 for supporting only their own products.

EOD? I brought this offtopic, and it's ontopic again for all I care. I just wanted to confirm that Forza 2 is X360 exclusive, and if the game is still fun with only the controller or the X360 wheels.
Quote from jibber :He's talking about Forza 2 and the xbox360.

No, he was talking about [Viking]'s G25. In which case I find his comment rather funny. Since when is the G25 a pc only wheel? And it hardly costs a fortune
Quote from obsolum :Who and what wheel are you talking about? The G25 works with several games on the PS3

Yeah, that's 'cause it's basically a DFP and I _think_ it uses the same software/input thing.
the xbox 360 driving wheel can be hooked up for the PC.
I have played Forza 2. Kick butt game, and a third Forza is coming soon. So, I will get a 360 for Forza 2, possibly 3. I still would like to play GT5 though.
I played this game in a store like, a few years back, I'd get an Xbox 360 just to get this game, the problem is I don't have any money. Also when I tried it I took something like a Lamborghini Diablo(I think?), and then crashed it.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I play forzo by freind place i have to say i like it but om moree into the driving then painting

RICK ROLL'D man
anyone up for some forza 2 tonight?
add me on Xbox Live!!!
Scrabbyz

i has forza!
Add me too SkidSkid

always keen for a race or drift try and beat my JZA80 supra 50 laps you choose
i need some help with tuning if i buy a car off the market place does it come with the tune that the owner has on it? and does the tune stay on the car?
also im having troubles connecting to online games.. it keeps trying to connect but it wont... 90% of the games i can't connect to.
so yea..

Forza 2, pretty bloody good infact........
(698 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG