The online racing simulator
What'll she do daddy?
(22 posts, started )
#1 - amp88
What'll she do daddy?
Quote from BBC News :A Devon motorcyclist has been told he could face jail after he was caught speeding at 122mph (196kph) - with his 14-year-old son riding pillion.

Full story.

He slowed because it started to rain...what a sissy.
The way I read it, he claims he went faster because it started to rain. To get home fast before the ground gets really wet probably.

Quote :Robert Bennett opened the throttle on his 1300cc Suzuki because it started to rain, Exeter Crown Court was told.

Quote :"But it had started to rain and I pulled back the throttle."

And btw, what does the thread title mean? "What will she do daddy"?
Quote :And btw, what does the thread title mean? "What will she do daddy"?

The implication is a question asked by the son of the rider where 'she' is the motorbike.
Quote from Becky Rose :The implication is a question asked by the son of the rider where 'she' is the motorbike.

Ah, of course. I didn't get it the first time. And the father's answer was "I just might show you, since it looks like it's going to rain and that's a good excuse for speeding back home!"
Quote from article :the camera also picked up his son holding on with his bare hands to the back of his seat

Sounds like the introductory speech for some kind of acrobatic act. As if the bike was on fire or something.
Some bikers are just knobs. (HOWEVER..)

As long as it was safe, I don't see the big deal..

I don't see any "omg you were doing 125mph in your 1.2 saxo with NAWZ and you have your pregnant GF and 2 of your mates onboard we r gunna arrest u!1!"..

It's just that the government hates bikes, and that's an end of it.

Seem to forget that thier own police force were doing 90 something mph in a 30 zone on a "training excersize"!
#7 - nihil
"There were no injuries. There was no accident". And this makes it into the news because....?

Oh right... A GSX-R that does "220mph".... Still don't reckon telling fisherman's tales is enough to warrant a news item....
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Some bikers are just knobs. (HOWEVER..)

As long as it was safe, I don't see the big deal..

I don't see any "omg you were doing 125mph in your 1.2 saxo with NAWZ and you have your pregnant GF and 2 of your mates onboard we r gunna arrest u!1!"..

It's just that the government hates bikes, and that's an end of it.

Seem to forget that thier own police force were doing 90 something mph in a 30 zone on a "training excersize"!

With his 14 year old son ridding pillion and you don't see the big deal.

It was far above the speed limit and it endangered not only his own life but his son's also....fine if you're on you're own but when theres others around then not ok.
I remember reaching about 145 Km/h (90 MPH) with my dad on a highway with a 100 km/h (60 MPH) speed limit on his BMW 650GS bike this summer... It's nothing compared to this man's actions.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :With his 14 year old son ridding pillion and you don't see the big deal.

It was far above the speed limit and it endangered not only his own life but his son's also....fine if you're on you're own but when theres others around then not ok.

Ehh.. it was safe. At 14 I'm sure the kid knows if he feels safe or not.

As I said, if it was 125mph and his son was in the front seat of his car, wouldn't matter. But the fact it was a bike is why it's made the news. At 14 I'd feel safe if I was on the back of my Dad's bike and he was doing 125mph, if I didn't I'd have the common sense to make that fact known.

He didn't even nearly crash, no-one was hurt or injured. So what's the big deal? So, even if he _could_ have been injured, you _could_ be injured walking down a flight of stairs but I don't see any speed cameras on staircases, do you?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ehh.. it was safe. At 14 I'm sure the kid knows if he feels safe or not.

As I said, if it was 125mph and his son was in the front seat of his car, wouldn't matter. But the fact it was a bike is why it's made the news. At 14 I'd feel safe if I was on the back of my Dad's bike and he was doing 125mph, if I didn't I'd have the common sense to make that fact known.

He didn't even nearly crash, no-one was hurt or injured. So what's the big deal? So, even if he _could_ have been injured, you _could_ be injured walking down a flight of stairs but I don't see any speed cameras on staircases, do you?

Well you're assuming the kid has a say in how he gets around and how fast his father rides his bike, which isn't a certainty.

Riding pillion is a risky business, I don't like doing it. Your life is completely in the hands of the rider even at legal speeds. If the person I was sat behind accelerated to 120mph+ on a wet single carriageway I would not be happy to say the least, and if it turned out that he'd cracked open the throttle because he didn't want himself, or worse his bike, to get wet I'd have him sectioned under the mental health act.
It's like accelerating to 160mph in a 360modena on a motorway because it's getting too foggy and you're worried there'll be an accident which could delay your journey.

That alone is reason enough to take his license off him imo.
I'd have less of a problem with it if the kid was wearing leathers. Bare hands could get very nasty if he came off at that speed.
Quote from Bob Smith :I'd have less of a problem with it if the kid was wearing leathers. Bare hands could get very nasty if he came off at that speed.

Mmm yeah you're right there for sure. At least a jacket and some decent gloves if nothing else.
opened the throttle because it got more dangerous....

Stylish.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ehh.. it was safe. At 14 I'm sure the kid knows if he feels safe or not.

That is a completely naive train of thought. It's like saying it's safe to do 80 mph in a car despite the speed limit being 30 mph just because you may or may not get hurt. Like these poor dudes in Hamiltion who thought they were ok to do speeds unsuitable to the conditions and scenario and ended upstairs in somebody's house.

And i think it does matter if it was in a car, the father would still be up in court and most likely banned from driving so I struggle to see you're point....but then you're young and still have a lot to learn.
..... rather than critize my POV's by using my age, how about using what I said?

You've taken what I've said way out of context. I'm a motorcyclist and know what's "safe" and "unsafe" when out on a bike - If he was weaving in and out of cars, or it was incredibily busy or PISSING down with rain, then no - That would have been UNSAFE, and I'd be siding with you, but he was on a (relatively) quiet piece of straight road, it wasn't overly wet, with no immediate danger.

30mph limit zones are 30 for a reason. Myself, I never speed in these. Same goes for 40's. 50's and 60's are generally "as the road/conditions" are.

Please don't take what I said out of context.

And the fact remains that it's only because he had a 14 year old son on the back of his bike, that it made it onto the news. Had it been in a car I'm guarenteeing you that it would not have made national news.

Speed limits apply to everyone (even though we choose to ignore them), are you forgetting that the police turn a blind eye to thier own force?

http://www.radar-detectors.co. ... s_cleared_of_speeding.asp

The hypocricy that the government and the police force (they're supposed to be the ones setting the example!!) is a complete joke. I get clocked for doing 34 in a 30, bam, 3 points onto my licence, £60. But no, they can do what the **** they like with no penalities.

I'm sure you can agree that this is worse.

Quote :Incredibly, Sussex Police claimed it was safe for an unmarked police bike to travel at 96mph in a 30mph zone with siren and flashing lights off.

That's 3.2 times over the limit, if we assume that the piece of road the biker was on in the OP was a 60mph, and he was doing 122, I count that as a little over double the limit. Bearing in mind he wasn't weaving in and out of other traffic on a busy road. The (unmarked) police motorcyclist in the above story/video faced no charges and no prosecution.

It's beggars belief, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
If you think that going at nearly double the speed limit with anyone you are close to is okay, be it a friend or family member, you seriously have to consider the concequences.

Hell, even if it's a total stranger, you might want to take their life into consideration.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :..... rather than critize my POV's by using my age, how about using what I said?

You've taken what I've said way out of context. I'm a motorcyclist and know what's "safe" and "unsafe" when out on a bike - If he was weaving in and out of cars, or it was incredibily busy or PISSING down with rain, then no - That would have been UNSAFE, and I'd be siding with you, but he was on a (relatively) quiet piece of straight road, it wasn't overly wet, with no immediate danger.

30mph limit zones are 30 for a reason. Myself, I never speed in these. Same goes for 40's. 50's and 60's are generally "as the road/conditions" are.

Please don't take what I said out of context.

And the fact remains that it's only because he had a 14 year old son on the back of his bike, that it made it onto the news. Had it been in a car I'm guarenteeing you that it would not have made national news.

Speed limits apply to everyone (even though we choose to ignore them), are you forgetting that the police turn a blind eye to thier own force?

http://www.radar-detectors.co. ... s_cleared_of_speeding.asp

The hypocricy that the government and the police force (they're supposed to be the ones setting the example!!) is a complete joke. I get clocked for doing 34 in a 30, bam, 3 points onto my licence, £60. But no, they can do what the **** they like with no penalities.

I'm sure you can agree that this is worse.

That's 3.2 times over the limit, if we assume that the piece of road the biker was on in the OP was a 60mph, and he was doing 122, I count that as a little over double the limit. Bearing in mind he wasn't weaving in and out of other traffic on a busy road. The (unmarked) police motorcyclist in the above story/video faced no charges and no prosecution.

It's beggars belief, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

1) Yes you're age is a factor, tell me if you think the same if you had a child. Heck tell me if you think its the same having witnessed good close friends dying due to stupid risks like that.

That comment about being able to judge is a prime example. You've been riding what 3 years....and that makes you qualified how now? I've been trying to get myself a serious girlfriend for nearly 8 years now and the only thing I've become an expert on is suggesting a threesome with another girls is not a good road to go down.

2) Yes you're right that it made news but that was down to the sheer sodding stupidity of the father who thought is was ok. Don't take this a a crackdown on bikers, because shock horror it ain't. It's a crackdown on stupid drivers who take stupid risk endangering not only there own lives but others also.

3) How naive and ignorant are you in thinking I wouldn't understand......that last comment sums up the naivety of youth perfectly.

God knows I used that enough when I was young.
... Right.

I know how it feels to have someone I care about die (although it was out of my control) - It's not pleasent. I have taken people on the back of my old bike and god knows I was careful.

You don't need to be 'qualified' to tell you what a bike can and can't do.. Learning is a process you continue to do all your riding/driving life...

As for stupidity, yes I'm not denying it was "stupid" and rather "careless" - However it wasn't as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be.

Frankly, I could care less what you think regarding my "age vs maturity" thing. It's rather immature of you to write me off based upon my age as a primary factor.

Although it's not a "crackdown on bikers" per se, the fact is that if it were a car they wouldn't care nearly half as much. But no they're like "LOOK AT BIKERS THEY ARE ALL BAD LOOK AT THIS ONE WITH HIS KID".

It's a very sick world we live in.
Stop.

Where do you guys get your avatars?
From the Obamaicon thingy. I'll stick with laughing gas purge... for now.

What'll she do daddy?
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG