The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
lol i know someone with a rusty lol

edit to remove double post: i agree really bob, its changed severly even in my lifetime, its all the health and saftey hyperactivity, ohh someone might slip and smack there knee, wtf, especcially when you consider the brutality of some of the rugby pe lessons that happen when the teachers are doing the brutality part lol
-
(james12s) DELETED by james12s
Quote from Bob Smith :I can't believe they're shutting schools. I remember snow like this when I was that age, school never got closed. What's different a decade later?

Likewise today was just another day, push off the 3 inches of snow on the windscreen and drive to work as per normal. No snow on any of the roads. Seems perfectly safe to me (unlike mornings where it's been really icy and I've spun my wheel(s), but today was just slush).

Obviously I'm glad school is shut, but I have to agree...there wasn't that much snow on the roads, the bus would probably have been able to get through, if a little late. Nanny state, anyone?

Though I can't help thinking, Bob...you a bit bitter?
I'm loving this thread! Internet was down nearly all weekend except for a handful of short bursts. Just read both pages of this.

I'm laughing my a** off about the argument of RWD vs. FWD vs. 4x4. It's obvious that none of you have ever driven 4WD in real snow, nor have driven FWD in real snow. In short for all you snow noobs, FWD will move better than RWD. FWD will move until the road is at an odd angle and the front wheels slip. Then your front end washes out and lands you in a ditch. RWD is difficult to get moving. Once moving, if it slips you just get the standard tail hanging out. Countersteer, recover, and you're back on your way. 4WD, real 4WD and not this AWD garbage, it just goes. It moves, it stops, it turns. If it slips, you slip on all 4 wheels. You just give it some heavy juice, really get the tires spinning, then it starts to come out like a RWD, only it is a bit easier to control because you have the front trying to pull it straight.

3 weeks ago we got dumped on with about 14-16 inches of snow. We got an additional 6-8 inches the following day. The next weekend we had 4-6 inches and even more throughout that week. It's been below 20 F (-7 C)for 3 weeks, mostly around 4 F (-16 C) for the majority, of which salt on the roads only work down to about 25 F (-4 C). All the road crews could do is clear off the deep stuff from the roads. Where cars had already driven was packed down. Yesterday it was 35 F (+2 C). I was outside working a bit on the driveway in a t-shirt and jeans. Felt like summer . Yesterday is the first day we've seen the road surfaces for 3 weeks.

The news on TV like to exploit the winter storms. If we are expected to get 1-2 inches, they act like the world is going to end. For 3 weeks now it's been nice because now if we expect anywhere below 3-4 inches of snow it is barely mentioned. Now 3-4 inches is, "Meh? Expect a light dusting of 3-4 inches overnight tonight..."

Funny funny thread. Made me smile reading it

As for school closings, they rarely close school. Usually it's just a 2 hour delay. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA viewing area of TV coverage and everything is operating today under a 2 hour delay down in Pittsburgh. It's not from the weather, it's from the Superbowl, LOL. Half of Pittsburgh's schools and workforce is probably still in Tampa, FL.
lol mike

the argument was over british snow not proper snow lol
Snowed the second half of yesterday. Went out with mates last night, and the rear end of the car slid out whilst going round a roundabout. Didn't spin though. Was ridiculous snow.
#81 - Byku
Snow rocks... had a "little" oversteer today . I was going to my mothers house and the road was covered in snow(and ice), tried some small lift-off oversteer at 30-40 kmh(Ford Ka 50KM , great ,but slow, car to drive)... it was easy to control. Then i've seen a wider(well... with trees on left and right), bigger turn to the left. There were no cars going from there,so i've accelerated a little to 50kmh(or 60.. don't remember exacly), lift-off the throttle and all hell broke loose . Huge oversteer to the right, so I counter-steered QUICKLY(pushing throttle a little)... then the back went to the left... another quick counter-steer(thank You LFS :razz and then again it went to the right but finnaly I managed to controll it fully. I was schocked , 5 minutes after this "near death experience" I laughed like crazy ... my girlfriend sitting on passangers seat also laughed a lot AFTER this "adventure"... when I went back I was definitly driving slower .
had a couple of centimetres here, still snowing. Oxford is right on the edge of the weather system
#83 - 5haz
Quote from mrodgers :SNIP!

Remember that unlike you out there in the far reaches of the British Empire, we are a small island and so snow is hard to come by.

Plus if you get the chance to have the day off, ANY chance at all, you're going to take it, hence why everything is shut down today.
Well, we have had hardly any snow

it starts getting heavy for about 1 min, then stops for 10 long mins. then it starts snowing again for 1 min. It has started to lie but now we have clear skies

i hate it when this happens, cant it just snow proper for once where i live.
#85 - AMB
Quote from tristancliffe :The roads are laughable. It's not slippery at all on the main route or in the city, and housing estates would be if you did twice the posted speed limit. Yet everyone is driving around as though the slightest movement of the steering wheel will result in the death of millions of people.

Why can't British people drive in 'snow'?

Because you race you think you are a better driver than anyone else and that they should automatically know how to drive in snow, I knew when i started reading your post it would be about how you can drive in it and no one else can lol, most of the videos i've seen of you racing you spin off lol.
Quote from AMB :Because you race you think you are a better driver than anyone else and that they should automatically know how to drive in snow, I knew when i started reading your post it would be about how you can drive in it and no one else can lol, most of the videos i've seen of you racing you spin off lol.

To be fair, all he's saying is that a lot of British people have no idea how to drive in snow. Which is true. And he says he can. Which is debatable.
Quote from 5haz :Remember that unlike you out there in the far reaches of the British Empire, we are a small island and so snow is hard to come by.

Yes, tis why I said I was having a good chuckle at this thread.

Quote :Plus if you get the chance to have the day off, ANY chance at all, you're going to take it, hence why everything is shut down today.

I get 5 weeks vacation, 3 sick days, and 10 holidays throughout the year. I have 1 full week off the first week of July (Independance Day) but have to burn a weeks vacation for it and I have about 2.5-3 weeks off for Christmas with only needing to burn 3 days of vacation. We have 300+ employees with only about 30 of us working due to layoffs. If I can get a day off, I DON'T take it on the chance that 1 day may continue into months.

A friend of mine was in South Carolina or thereabouts. They had a snowstorm of about an inch or so and everything shut down. She was pulled over and the cop told her she had a tail light out. She asked the cop if her tail light was really out or if he just wanted to see what kind of idiot was out on the roads in that weather. Her tail light wasn't out, the cop stated indeed that he wanted to see what kind of idiot was out on the roads. She told him she was from Pennsylvania and this was like near summer conditions out, LOL.
#88 - AMB
Well it's not like drivers have been trained to drive in the snow, so the only way they know how to tackle it is by tips etc, it's not exactly often they have to put it to use either, so obviously they won't know how.

it's like putting tristan in a ice skating ring for first time he's not going to do good is he?

(unless he ice skates )
I have ice skated. But due to an unfortunately foot affliction that I'm not going into, I get terrible blisters on the arches of my feet and am rendered unable to walk for a week after 10 minutes skating. So I don't do it often...

I can drive in the snow. Most people can't. I don't spin that often, but then again I'm not driving in the snow on the track (often ), and nor am I attempting to find the limits of car and driver on the road. Slightly different parameters, but maybe that's too much of an intellectual concept for you?
Yay snow... woohoo.

Both a good thing and a bad thing, really.
I had a blizzard two years ago, and we got like 4 feet + of snow. it was awesome! School was cancelled for a week, and then we had Christmas break! 3 weeks off! it was the best winter ever!!!
#92 - AMB
Quote from tristancliffe :and nor am I attempting to find the limits of car and driver on the road.

And normal drivers do? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sory i not az educatid az yu, I knot a intornat jeenus.
That proves my point on intellect.

The reason I spin on the track is because I'm trying to find the limits and, being an amateur, I make mistakes. The reason most people crash on the road in snow is because they are stupid and can't drive to any standard.

It's quite a simple concept. Would you like me to explain it again, or will it filter through the mush this time? You're not a real life genius either, let alone an internet one (whatever that is... are forums not real life? Do I somehow gain special abilities when sat in front of a monitor? I don't think so...)
Quote from tristancliffe : I don't spin that often, but then again I'm not driving in the snow on the track (often ), and nor am I attempting to find the limits of car and driver on the road.

When your on the road and not attemting to find the limits, you shouldn´t spin ever.
Quote from AMB :And normal drivers do? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sory i not az educatid az yu, I knot a intornat jeenus.

spelling errors!! aaaaaaaah!!! don't read it, DON'T READ IT!!
Quote from Kalev EST :When your on the road and not attemting to find the limits, you shouldn´t spin ever.

The last time I spun on the road whilst NOT attempting to purposefully find the limits was, umm, about 1999. It was my fault, and the spin was mainly to avoid the swerve into a hedge and then a stone wall. The last time I spun on the road WHILST trying to find the limit was back in, umm, 2003 - I'd had just bought my Mazda and was playing on a damp, deserted roundabout to see what it did 'over the limit'. I don't try and find the limit on the road except in very VERY exceptional circumstances, when I'm on my own and 99.9999% sure nobody is around.
-
(AMB) DELETED by AMB : Silly
AMB just why... why oh why. :doh:
#98 - AMB
I'm not being nasty, just asking him.

E: Deleted it....
Can someone PM what he asked? I'd love to know.
Nothing of importance Tristan, just being an idiot. He's since deleted it anyway.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG