The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
Snooooowww
About 3cm here, and that's the best snow we've had in years, although the rest of the country has had more.

The canadians etc among us will laugh at this video of the british public spectacularly failing to drive in about an inch of it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7864395.stm
SNOOOOOOWWW!!!

No school! Sledging! Yaaaaaay! There's only about 3cm here too, and a lot of cars are getting through, but no bus! And, as I'm writing this, snow has begun to fall extremely heavily.

Lol @ vid - that must be severely icy, or they really are dim Though I suppose it's the start-stopness of the city causing the catastrophic failage...
Absolutely bugger-all here Still waiting for it to start snowing properly. Got maybe a very fine dusting on the road, but thats it!

Worse of all, I cant even hope for a few days off work because of it...cos I'm on a weeks holiday!
-
(Furiously-Fast) DELETED by Furiously-Fast
It'll be interesting to see if the LFS servers are fuller than usual for a Monday with so many people off work and school
Quote from Furiously-Fast :this snow is EPIC! I didn't have to go to school here!

Here is a pic of me in it!

That's a LOT of snow! Lol, I didn't expect you to look like that at all!
The roads are laughable. It's not slippery at all on the main route or in the city, and housing estates would be if you did twice the posted speed limit. Yet everyone is driving around as though the slightest movement of the steering wheel will result in the death of millions of people.

Why can't British people drive in 'snow'?
If it's any comfort: most people who live in countries where it does snow regularly (allthough much rarer nowadays than 15 years ago) still can't drive in it.
lol my school is one that is garanteed never to close as its online and all the teachers teach from home

and

snow on ungritted roads + my sister + bmw 330ci = fail

she sounded suprised when she said the back was all over the place, needless to say i had a go at her with words to the effect of ' what do you bloody thinks gonna happen'

her car also has the god awful flappy paddle box that is so dimwitted you have no control
Quote from james12s :lol my school is one that is garanteed never to close as its online and all the teachers teach from home

The gimmick probably wears off quite quickly, but that's still pretty sweet, even if your school never closes! I live quite a long way fro my school, and the bus that takes me there through narrow, very hilly countryside roads is rather large (erm...either 52 or 72 seats), so it doesn't take much snow for me to be cut off from school!
Quote from james12s :lol my school is one that is garanteed never to close as its online and all the teachers teach from home

What happens when the intertubes go down?? (Or did that already happen on the day they were going to teach you how to spell "Guaranteed"?)
lol blade runner, the think is the only thing that would stop the school operating it is both the servers when down(they have a backup)
This is great

About 5 inches of snow, and no school. It's really quite eery with the absoloutely empty snowy streets here. Suburban Surrey rally stage anyone?

Somebody in a Land Cruiser was driving down our road at about 30mph with snow chains on his tyres... show off
Wheyyyyy already seen a couple of people bump bumpers and plenty of wheelspinning. Good times. A guy in his Porsche looked surprised as he just span the wheels and made a lot of noise trying to get out of his drive, finally gave up and headed back in.

I'm working from home at the moment anyway so no missing work for me!
#14 - wien
Quote from Crashgate3 :About 3cm here

*looks out window* Ooo, very impressive... Wish we had the day off on snow days back when I was in school. Makes you appreciate them more than if you have to drag your arse to school no matter the weather. Trying to bicycle through 10cm of wet slushy snow can make anyone hate the world.
Quote from ColeusRattus :If it's any comfort: most people who live in countries where it does snow regularly (allthough much rarer nowadays than 15 years ago) still can't drive in it.

Ain't that the truth. Seems people lose all ability to judge grip over the summer and then pile up in every ditch of the land once the first snowfall hits.
If we closed our schools and didn't go to work every time there was snow we'd still be in the 18 hundreds.

Get some proper tires you excuse searching lazy bastards.
3-4 inches here but its snowing heavy all they time
last night soem asda lory ended up in a ditch lol...Asda Failed
Or drive in the snow on normal tyres. It's not like you actually need snow chains or anything. Pull away on the lowest revs you can (2nd gear if necessary), engine brake, slow down well before you need to - you can always hit the gas again to make up the distance if you stop short, turn gently, blah blah blah. I wish I had an excuse to use my car in this weather.
This is only just starting to qualify as snow now.
Pictures
Attached images
DSC04387.JPG
DSC04388.JPG
Quote from Blackout :If we closed our schools and didn't go to work every time there was snow we'd still be in the 18 hundreds.

Get some proper tires you excuse searching lazy bastards.

lol yh, even if theres just a flurry here they tell you not to make unnessasary journeys lol

what needs to happen is everyone go and buy a land rover, in that way we save one of britians best comapnies and we all have a vehicle for the conitions
Our inadequate driving test and the infrequency of our snow means that the majority of the country keck themselves when they see snow. Mix in the fact that a lot of the UK is hilly and we generally made no efforts to cope with winte weather (normal tyres all year round) and driving in snow suddenly becomes a dangerous proposition.
#21 - 5haz
Been snowing almost constant since about 5pm yesterday, as well as quite a bit of snow on and off before that. We have about 5cm. Which by London standards is epic.

Buses cancelled, no college, hooray.

Im sick of how every time it snows, loads of Northerners start harping on about 'typical southern jessies blah blah blah blah' as if they are Ranulph Fiennes, I bet you lot are all snug at home with the heating on just like everyone else.

The British public can't drive in snow because they haven't spent a day on a skid pan as part of their driving lessons, plus nearly everyone drives front wheel drive cars which aren't exactly brilliant in slippery conditions as the front wheels try to cope with both turning and moving the car forward.

And why do you think England shuts down when it snizzles just a little, because we want to, lets face it, if your boss offers you the chance to have a day off, you're not going to turn it down, are you?
Quote from tristancliffe :The roads are laughable. It's not slippery at all on the main route or in the city, and housing estates would be if you did twice the posted speed limit. Yet everyone is driving around as though the slightest movement of the steering wheel will result in the death of millions of people.

Why can't British people drive in 'snow'?

Because it's not something people are used to =) I am not going out, but thats because I have 3 season tires. Wheelspin in 5th gear at 1000 rpm anyone? Can't be arsed to get winter tires for 1 day of snow.

It's not bad, but people use too much brake and too much steering to make driving on the road safe.. it doesn't help either with the roundabouts...
good point 5haz

you say fwd is bad, i have a therory

fwd: bad
rwd: ruddy awful
4wd: perfect :P

and yes i am using the situation to promote the use of 4x4's, why bloody not
I had my first experience of driving on proper ice a few weeks ago, and I have to say that it is fairly scary but pretty easy also. All you have to do is concentrate and modulate the throttle and brake very slowly. Every movement you make has to be slowed down to avoid the inevitable tree.

As for today, this is the most snow I've seen in quite some time. But not all that amazing. However, it was enough to close pretty much every school in the country. This, for once, is saving grace for me. I now have time to do that essay...
#25 - 5haz
Yes, 4x4 + icy car park with snow = fun fun fun!

We also had some lightning in the snow last night, someone nearly shat themselves in BBC news over in Kent whne lightning struck really close during a report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7864183.stm

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG