The online racing simulator
Track days
(42 posts, started )
I can beat that, I get 7mpg out of my bike at Snetterton
Quote from danowat :Corrected for you

Lol true. If you crash just get a tow truck and say you crashed into a pole or something on the road right outside..

Quote from danowat :I can beat that, I get 7mpg out of my bike at Snetterton

:jawdrop:

Are you sure? I think MCN did a thing and if you thrash most modern 1000cc bikes you'd get arounrd 32mpg.. you had the Aprillia RSV though didn't you... I think.
7mpg is about right for a track. Thrasing a 1000cc bike engine on a track won't give 32mpg. It just can't. There isn't enough extractable energy in gasoline (at IC engine efficiencies) to acheive that.
I am lucky to get 32mpg on the road!!!.

And yep, I am sure, Snetterton is pretty much W.O.T. the majority of the time on my bike, got about 40 miles from a tank of fuel.

V-twins are notorisly thirsty, just try getting more than 70miles to a tank out of a VTR1000
Yeah those VTRs have notoriously rubbish tank ranges. But then again you couldn't endure much more behind the helm.
Quote from danowat :I am lucky to get 32mpg on the road!!!. [...]

[...]V-twins are notorisly thirsty

ah come on... there's just not enough room to constantly push that hard.
maybe you should shift into 3rd sometimes .

dude, I thought my donkey was thirsty: 7l/100km ~ 40 mpg.
way too much for the horses and the weight, really.
Thrashing my 1990 Kawasaki EX500 (500cc inline twin, 4-stroke) got me about 30mpg on all 3 of the tracks I've been to so far. With a 4 gallon tank (US), I'd get about 120 miles before I'd have to hit reserve. On the street I typically got about 50mpg.

30 mpg US = 36 mpg UK = 7.84 L/100km
50 mpg US = 60 mpg UK = 4.70 L/100km

Haven't had a chance to go through a full tank on my 2006 SV650 yet.
Quote from SabersKunk :
Sometimes the track days have slick for hire, which are worth it in my opinion. For scoob events a rally truck would turn up fully kitted with scooby wheels with slicks fitted.

Slicks are pointless on a trackday car, put some hard compound performance tyres on it and you should get several trackdays without going noticeably slower.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lol true. If you crash just get a tow truck and say you crashed into a pole or something on the road right outside..

They've tightened up on this a lot and you face a prison sentence if prosecuted.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lol true. If you crash just get a tow truck and say you crashed into a pole or something on the road right outside..

Quote from ajp71 :
They've tightened up on this a lot and you face a prison sentence if prosecuted.

well, if your vehicle is still able to roll by own means, crash it against anything off the track, resp. on the next public road and say "yes, it already had some scratches from the track, but I then totalled it on a public road. I can't remember the details, I'm still in shock."
No, don't even tell them about the track..

Unless they can proove it was you they haven't got a leg to stand on. If you can, do the trackday with your plates off, or put show ones on, so no-one can say "Yes it was definatly him", because anyone can have <whatever car you have>
Quote from Bandit77 :well, if your vehicle is still able to roll by own means, crash it against anything off the track, resp. on the next public road and say "yes, it already had some scratches from the track, but I then totalled it on a public road. I can't remember the details, I'm still in shock."

I know someone who did that. He went a bit further with it though, in that he managed to limp the bent car away from the track to find a quiet stretch of road, his plan was to drive as fast as he could go (about 35mph, if that) into one of those stone walls that are often found on country lanes, that way the skid marks and stuff would be there as just parking it in the road wouldn't look very authentic.

He found a suitable wall, went towards it, hit it, his fron wheel dug into the verge, the wall fell over and he rolled the car over into the field behind and landed on his roof. Not what he was planning at all!! And yes, his insurance paid out as well.
Quote from ajp71 :Slicks are pointless on a trackday car, put some hard compound performance tyres on it and you should get several trackdays without going noticeably slower.

No thanks.
I've always considered track days to be for fun, and for fun (as opposed to lap times) the less grip the better - the more the car moves around, slides and generally communicates to you the bigger the grin. Slicks require too much commitment and provide too much grip to be fun enough for me on a track day.

But each to their own I suppose. I just don't see the point of going a couple of seconds faster per lap but having 500% less fun at the same time.
Quote from tristancliffe :I've always considered track days to be for fun, and for fun (as opposed to lap times) the less grip the better - the more the car moves around, slides and generally communicates to you the bigger the grin. Slicks require too much commitment and provide too much grip to be fun enough for me on a track day.

That's what wet track days are for, Knockhill has plenty of those

I see where you are coming from though.
In the case of wet track days I think Slicks would be awesome fun!!!! I've done a race or two in the wet on slicks, and been karting in the wet on slicks, and both were hugely entertaining
My last trackday of 2008 (#8) was completely fricken soaked. It was a good experience but not something I particularly enjoyed, especially since it was also very cold.

Track days
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG