The online racing simulator
Weird monitor problem
(12 posts, started )
Weird monitor problem
Maybe one of you can help me.

A while back I turned on my game PC after it being off for a few days, started to boot up, saw the boot splash, DOS screen etc. but no desktop. First thought of course is bad GFX card, nope. Hooked another monitor up to it and it works fine.

Hook the old monitor back up and same thing with a little moving screen saying something about "NO Sync"

Now here's the even stranger part, hook up the 'bad' monitor to another PC and....WTF? It works fine showing the same resolution I had always had it running at.

Now when I hook up that monitor to it's original PC it will show a desktop but at 640x480 or whatever that lowest resolution is, but if I try to move it higher than that, black screen.

Anyone have any idea? Obviously the monitor is not bad or it would not work no matter what PC it's married to, it will work everyplace except the one PC that's has been hooked up to since I got it. This is my best monitor and I would really like to use it again on my gamer as I have a really low end loaner on it right now.

I tried reinstalling GFX card drivers, Monitor drivers and still no joy.

Card is a ATI X850XT PE and the monitor is a Viewsonic PF709 flat screen CRT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MF
Is it actually plugged in properly on the PC it doesn't work on? Sounds like a hardware glitch or something.

How about just using your "low end monitor".. I'm still using the OEM 17" TFT thing I got when I bought the stock PC back in 2006 and works fine on FPS games and LFS and the like... fancy monitors are just extensions of your e-penis.

Hope you can find the cause of the problem.
Don't make me have to e-smack you in your iNoggin!

Yeah, I hoe someone knows what might be wrong.
Check the pins on the cord.. Maybe 1 of them is broken....? OR check your video card if its not plugged in properly
already did that, all the pins are fine and the GFX card must be fine because it works with the other monitor.

It had always been used with my gaming PC until the day it blacked out on me. But will work on another PC so it's really strange.
CRT monitor << Look, theres the problem
I assume that you X850XT has only a DVI output but your screen old-fashioned analog D-Sub so you have to use a DVI->D-Sub adapter to connect your screen, right? So it might be that adapter which is faulty and not transmitting video signal correctly...

If you have both DVI and D-Sub plugs on your GFX, maybe you can try using both (using the adapter when needed of course) to see if it's not just a faulty plug.
Quote from MadCatX :I assume that you X850XT has only a DVI output but your screen old-fashioned analog D-Sub so you have to use a DVI->D-Sub adapter to connect your screen, right? So it might be that adapter which is faulty and not transmitting video signal correctly...

If you have both DVI and D-Sub plugs on your GFX, maybe you can try using both (using the adapter when needed of course) to see if it's not just a faulty plug.

Yeah, thought of that too, but the monitor I have plugged in now is a CRT as well and it's plugged in to the same DVI>D adapter that the other monitor was using- and it works fine.

See, I told you it was a strange problem, none of the usual things that one would think are the issue seem to be.
Maybe the cable from the monitor has soem kinda scratch or someth
I'm actually shooting into a dark, but is that flawed screen significantly older that the other which is working?

EDIT(to explain what I'm getting at). Old screens lack display timing reporting so your GFX cannot determine what resolutions and refresh rates your screen can display. I have one pretty ancient 21" HP screen which was a nightmare to configure Maybe your GFX driver has suddenly (don't ask me why) forgotten what your screen has been set to and passed your screen image parameters it wasn't able to handle. It would pretty much explain it, but I say again, it's a shot to a dark. The way out of this would be forcing your GFX driver to set display parameters that your screen can handle...
possibly a refresh rate problem? (sorry if bought up already)

also tried unpdating/removing drivers?
get in via vga mode/safe mode, uninstall all drivers ,run driver cleaner to clean out old ones?

if none of above works, change/use a different display adapter on the problem pc see wot you get, may help narrow it down. dont forget to clean ati drivers tho, drivercleanerpro
I'm on the same thoughtwave as Madcat, your windows was set (by u or a program) to a resolution that isn't supported by your monitor.

Simple solution should be to boot into safemode, set your resolution to the lowest possible and reboot.

Weird monitor problem
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG