The online racing simulator
More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
#51 - Gunn
Quote from Gunn :Hmmm, we shall see.

Glad we get on, on a equal level. lol
Quote from Gunn :Why does it mean that?

More mod accounts means more accounts can be hacked (whether that's through an exploit in forum software or through unsecure passwords).
Quote from Gunn :Mods are here, but I think they are invisible and so their names don't appear in the list. I'm not sure what is acheived by not being seen, maybe there's a point to it, I don't know.

Hmm, I've seen Bob Smith's name many times on the active users list, but now you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen any other mod's usernames...

(Apart from yours, which is there now :tilt
#55 - Gunn
Quote from amp88 :More mod accounts means more accounts can be hacked (whether that's through an exploit in forum software or through unsecure passwords).

Moderators on this forum have no power at all to edit your LFS account details in any way. I think it's important that people know that. We are quite limited in fact. This software allows for a higher level of moderation powers than we currently are given here. Our powers are strictly limited to moderation. We can make suggestions of course, but the devs hold the keys quite firmly. And it has to be that way. Maybe some uber hacker could find a way, but I don't see any on staff here. I couldn't hack my way into a box of tissues with a chainsaw. They chose me for my good looks and endearing charm. Unfortunately.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :I would like to see Tristan as a mod.

No. No you don't.

Quote from Bean0 :Moderators don't need to sit on the forum though.

They most likely get an email if posts are reported, with a link that takes them straight to the reported post.

They can look, moderate, and be gone within seconds.

Fair point!

Quote from Gunn :Mods are here, but I think they are invisible and so their names don't appear in the list. I'm not sure what is acheived by not being seen, maybe there's a point to it, I don't know.

You know what the general public is like with people in a position of power! They'd go mad, clamouring for autographs and the like
#57 - Gunn
Quote from tristancliffe :You know what the general public is like with people in a position of power! They'd go mad, clamouring for autographs and the like

Well....I do have a burgeoning collection of interesting panties donated by kind members, but I thought everyone had that sort of scene going for them. Meh. It's not so special.
Quote from Gunn :Moderators on this forum have no power at all to edit your LFS account details in any way. I think it's important that people know that. We are quite limited in fact. This software allows for a higher level of moderation powers than we currently are given here. Our powers are strictly limited to moderation. We can make suggestions of course, but the devs hold the keys quite firmly. And it has to be that way. Maybe some uber hacker could find a way, but I don't see any on staff here. I couldn't hack my way into a box of tissues with a chainsaw. They chose me for my good looks and endearing charm. Unfortunately.

You can delete posts and threads can't you?

When I say accounts being hacked I mean moderators using passwords that are easily broken. Someone gets in and deletes a load of threads. They can be restored but it's a pain in the arse for whoever has to do it.
#59 - Gunn
Quote from amp88 :You can delete posts and threads can't you?

When I say accounts being hacked I mean moderators using passwords that are easily broken. Someone gets in and deletes a load of threads. They can be restored but it's a pain in the arse for whoever has to do it.

I don't personally see the loss of forum threads as a crippling occurrence, honestly. A shame to lose them but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. This community would bounce back with new ideas for sure.

*edit: when we delete your posts or remove threads they aren't nuked into their separate atoms, we simply move them to another location.
#60 - RS1T
I would like to make two points.

Firstly, the search is useless. Many times people have posted a new thread asking for something, even though there is a thread already about it. When i am looking for something i ALWAYS try the search (eg if im looking for a skin) , and the search does not come up with it. When i'm finished filetering through hundreds of pages of skins and banter, i find what i want.

Secondly, when someone asks for an XRT bodykit, ALL that is needed is for someone to post:
There are no public bodykits availiable. There are some but they are illegal to LFS.
THAT IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED. Nobody needs to post burning bannanas or flame posts, after ONE person has spoken, the thread should be closed. The question has been answered, therefore there is no need for further discussion.
^ :bananadea

Seriously, the mods here are some of the best I know, yet still people see intrigue and power abuse where there is none. The thread tags crack me up, btw
Quote from RS1T :
Firstly, the search is useless.

Nope, the search is usefull if you know how to use it. Try typing words you're looking for into the blank space. With the advanced search, you can search even more accurately.
Heck, this forum even features an automated search for topics with similar names while creating a thread yourself, so 90% of the time people would just have to read that to find an answer to their question.

Quote from RS1T :
Secondly, ...

I disagree. It's like the "give a man a fish vs. teach him how to fish" metaphor.
What makes this so frustrating to older forum frequenters is that most people aren't that stupid but merely too lazy to look for themselves. Most of them are even too lazy to form proper sentences when posting a question.

Also, on a sidenote, even if the forum wouldn't have a search function, you still can use other search engines like google to skim through it, if you know how to.
Quote from zeugnimod :I think it's fine as it is now.

I don't want this forum to become something where you have to think 10 times before posting something because it might offend one person.

Yeah I agree.

In actual fact I think it's mainly the posters fault. If they post something stupid then they will, inevitably, be treated as such. An internet forum relating to a racing game isn't always the best place to post personal issues.

Quote from ColeusRattus :The problem is, very simply put, thick people. People too damn dumb to use the most simple functions of the forums like search. People to stupid to read comprehensively. People too ignorant to notice other threads on the same topic even if they are on the very first page of the forum.

Honestly, if those blithering idiots would actually be scared of posting here, the world in general and this forum in particular would be a better place.

A huge +1
#64 - RS1T
Quote from ColeusRattus :
I disagree. It's like the "give a man a fish vs. teach him how to fish" metaphor.
What makes this so frustrating to older forum frequenters is that most people aren't that stupid but merely too lazy to look for themselves. Most of them are even too lazy to form proper sentences when posting a question.

Fair point, but what about people posting flaming bannanas and other bullshit like that? Is that neccesary to teach someone a lesson?
Quote from Gunn :
*edit: when we delete your posts or remove threads they aren't nuked into their separate atoms, we simply move them to another location.

That was why I said they can be restored but it's a pain in the arse. Do you (or any of the mod team) want to sit for x amount of time restoring deleted posts/threads and listening to people bitch and whine just because some new admin chose "god" as their password?
Exactly how stupid do you think the LFS staff is to pick moderators stupid enough to use easily guessable passwords?
Quote from amp88 :just because some new admin chose "god" as their password?

*runs and changes password*
Quote from AndroidXP :Exactly how stupid do you think the LFS staff is to pick moderators stupid enough to use easily guessable passwords?

/me bites lip.

Seriously though, it's hardly going to be one of the questions when people are asked to be on the mod team. Also, some people may be selected for their enthusiasm and knowledge of LFS, they may not be 'tech savvy'.
For me it looks very fine as it is now. Mods check the forum regularly as I can see from the members list down the page. They're in BOLD blue.
Quote from RS1T :Fair point, but what about people posting flaming bannanas and other bullshit like that? Is that neccesary to teach someone a lesson?

You got a point there, it's important how you phrase the suggestion to use search to be successful.

But honestly I do understand the flamers of questions that have been answered millions of times already
Quote from tristancliffe :The only issue is that, as Bean0 said, several aren't very active anymore.

The issue with becoming a mod is that by default people assume that you aren't allowed any ****ing opinions and must be doing "good for the community at all times". This makes participating with threads somewhat tricky.

The forum are pretty liberally ruled, and this is just how it's been shaped by Victor, etc. over the years.

Yes, there is a rise of crap in the forum but can I remind people one of several things:
1. Most, if not all of the mods have full time jobs and none of us get paid to do this.
2. As such we are not available 24/7, and believe it or not we might actually have other things to do aside from sit on the forum and read every single little thing posted.
3. Whilst we may not always be on the forum, quite a number of us are online a lot, and we rely on reports from users to alert us to problems. Use the "report this post" feature, by clicking the icon at the top right of every post which you feel is inappropriate. Posting "we need a mod" (or some such) in a post is completely, utter unhelpful. We don't see it until it's too late.
#72 - AMB
Quote from amp88 :just because some new admin chose "god" as their password?

Been watching the film 'hackers' too many times me thinks.
#73 - SamH
The LFS forum is usually the first place I go when I get in front of my PC. I hide my online status because of the constant flow of "hi how r u" and "unban me ctra plz plz plz" PMs that tend to start landing when I don't. I don't do MSN for the same reasons. I progressed to VOIP a few years ago, now, and non-permanent text exchanges aren't my scene these days.

When I'm nearby, I grab the reported posts. Hiding my online status doesn't negatively impact my moderating abilities.
Quote from SamH :Hiding my online status doesn't negatively impact my moderating abilities.

Oh yeah, I forgot to moan about that as well Cheers Sam
This seems to have been missed by the Mods
This seems to have been overlooked or ignored. Could we have some of the mods comments please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Rose
The only problem with moderation here compared to elsewhere is that the moderators are allowed to post an opinion on a thread and then close it, which if they are involved in the debate can lead to leaving a very bad taste. Most forums I know dont do this, giving moderators this kind of ego boost is bad and some moderators I have seen abuse this - but on the whole I think the moderation here is pretty good and the community itself is very friendly.

Psoted by Toddshooter: I agree. (If your a moderator you should not be posting in the thread you are moderating.)
As soon as you post in a thread that has anything to do with yourself another moderator should take over your duties. This way it is fair to all parties.

More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG