The online racing simulator
Vista AND XP problems - Need help
(19 posts, started )
Ok, so I had a fairly good PC, but I swapped it for my laptop and my sister got it. Then she got a Macbook for Christmas and my dad got the PC. However, in XP she was reporting internet access trouble. When she switched off, it would forget the internet adaptor was plugged in, and forget the wireless internet settings we had keyed into it. This wasn't happening every time, maybe 1 out of 10 shut-downs. However, since my dad got his hands on it, it has got a lot worse. He installed a genuine Windows Vista Home Premium OS on the system as well as keeping XP installed (dual-boot thing?). Now, the little adapter mentioned was forgetting to search for internet, so we weren't getting internet on the PC at all. So thinking it was the adapter playing up, we headed off to our local PC World and got this. However, this hasn't solved our problems, except stopped the little USB stick sitting outside the PC looking flimsy and easy-to-break, as I have found out with a different USB product So we thought it couldn't get any worse. It did. Vista is now crashing randomly and XP isn't booting up at all. We don't know what to do. So while my dad is sitting in the room next door, I'm seeking advice from my laptop that has internet. Now, my Vista on my laptop is fine, and when I had the PC it was fine, so we are at a loss, because it's a good computer, and if we get it working my dad will give it to me, so I will have a better machine for LFS. So I kinda want it to work. Can anybody help us? Please?
#2 - CSU1
Hey piggy,

It sounds like some sort of hardware problem to me(possibly USB), my advice at the moment would be to download a Linux Distro from here which comes with a lot of testing tools.

The 'Live CD' is about 700mb in size and if the PC will not boot up you'll need to find out what button to press at boot to enable the boot choice menu(most are F8)

If you can't figure out the boot choice menu you'll need to change the boot sequence in the bios to boot from cd first.

As I said I'd be able to help ascertain if it is a hardware problem from a Linux terminal as Windows just won't do at this moment.

The CD is really self explanatory to install, post here or at Ubuntuforums.org and you'll get help.
my laptop
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys could help i have a few problems with my laptop. One is my screen is cracked and i have a big screen at home on my desk but its not really efficient so i was searching and searching on dell.com (or something one of their websites anyway) and couldnt find one but thats not really urgent. Another problem is my battery is broken so i was looking on dells website aswell but new bateries are mad money so i have to have my laptop plugged in all of the time which is a waste of money and dangorous. Annd the last and most recent problem is that when i have a few windows open lets say adobe photoshop, lfs and one or two folders everything just freezes for a few mins and then a blue screen appears and tells me that i dont have enough ram on my computer and to restart it. I was wondering if you guys could direc me towards a good enough and cheap laptop. I have about €500 to spend on it if it goes any higher i could live with it but would rather not. I was looking for one with around 2GB of RAM and a big enough screen like 15 inches but i cant find any the cheapest and best quality one i found was at this url........ http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=391509 please reply here or PM me. Thank you so much !
#4 - CSU1
...my advice would be to decide weather or not you 'need' a notebook, if you do go cheap on a second hand one and keep your money for a desktop as you'll get more performance and better value for your money.

It does'nt make sense to buy an expensive notebook just to kill it, remember that notebooks can't do what they say on the tin, they will run photoshop/vista/crysis or whatever but the don't last as they are'nt built for that sort of work(unless you spend mad money on one which will give you many good years servise).
My advice would be to stop spamming that in threads
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Luke.S :My advice would be to stop spamming that in threads

What is 'that'?
no he is just mad because i posted that reply in only TWO treads and he obviesly just seen them both but i dont really know why he is angry over that because it dosent harm him in any way
Quote from CSU1 :...my advice would be to decide weather or not you 'need' a notebook, if you do go cheap on a second hand one and keep your money for a desktop as you'll get more performance and better value for your money.

It does'nt make sense to buy an expensive notebook just to kill it, remember that notebooks can't do what they say on the tin, they will run photoshop/vista/crysis or whatever but the don't last as they are'nt built for that sort of work(unless you spend mad money on one which will give you many good years servise).

yes i think i do need a notebook because i travel alot and briing my laptop with me but i dont bring it that often nowadays because the screen is broken. And i would need to have photoshop, lfs, and one or two other windows open all at the same time because i am my teams skiner so if im making skins i need those windows open . but what do u think of that lionk i put up there?
Quote from zeugnimod :I laughed.

Lemme just say my posts per day count is 4.16 and yours is 4.96 so u can't say much
So? The contents of his posts are generally useful / helpful
Quote from Niall Murray :Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys could help i have a few problems with my laptop. One is my screen is cracked and i have a big screen at home on my desk but its not really efficient so i was searching and searching on dell.com (or something one of their websites anyway) and couldnt find one but thats not really urgent. Another problem is my battery is broken so i was looking on dells website aswell but new bateries are mad money so i have to have my laptop plugged in all of the time which is a waste of money and dangorous. Annd the last and most recent problem is that when i have a few windows open lets say adobe photoshop, lfs and one or two folders everything just freezes for a few mins and then a blue screen appears and tells me that i dont have enough ram on my computer and to restart it. I was wondering if you guys could direc me towards a good enough and cheap laptop. I have about €500 to spend on it if it goes any higher i could live with it but would rather not. I was looking for one with around 2GB of RAM and a big enough screen like 15 inches but i cant find any the cheapest and best quality one i found was at this url........ http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=391509 please reply here or PM me. Thank you so much !

Well thanks for hijacking my thread. I haven't even got help so please make your own thread if you haven't already.
#13 - CSU1
Quote from piggy501 :Well thanks for hijacking my thread. I haven't even got help so please make your own thread if you haven't already.

...well the lack of input on your behalf makes it near impossible to help you, you have not ask anymore questions here or here about the problems or results from testing

@Luke.S
Why do you say I spam 'that' when I've never said 'that' before?
Quote from Luke.S :Lemme just say my posts per day count is 4.16 and yours is 4.96 so u can't say much

I just let you say (write) it. I am still laughing. What now?
Quote from CSU1 :...well the lack of input on your behalf makes it near impossible to help you, you have not ask anymore questions here or here about the problems or results from testing

@Luke.S
Why do you say I spam 'that' when I've never said 'that' before?

no no he was talking to me because i said it here aswell but thats all
Thanks CSU1 for your advice but like I said in PMs my dad doesn't want Linux, he's paranoid it's a hacker software.

But what can I say when only 1 person helps and the rest is kinda o/t.

And ubuntuforums keeps giving me errors, site won't load at all.

It's .org for orgasm, yeah?
#17 - CSU1
Quote from piggy501 :Thanks CSU1 for your advice but like I said in PMs my dad doesn't want Linux, he's paranoid it's a hacker software.

But what can I say when only 1 person helps and the rest is kinda o/t.

And ubuntuforums keeps giving me errors, site won't load at all.

It's .org for orgasm, yeah?

yep, http://www.ubuntuforums.org ...

...but you never said in the pm's that Linux was hackers programs and that dad did'nt like...

...maybe you've misunderstood -

Use a linux live CD for hardware testing purposes only(in this case). Report back the error and two people have offered their emails to help you already > if you suspect a certain section of your PC is broken learn how to test it by asking specific questions.
#18 - arco
piggy501,

Sounds like it could be faulty memory. Try running memtest86 and see if it detects anything wrong.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG