The online racing simulator
Strange FPS drop
(16 posts, started )
Strange FPS drop
Hello, I get this strange FPS drop sometimes.
One day I can start the computer and LFS runs just fine, on and off -line. The other day it could drop down to around 2 FPS, Usually im on 70-90 FPS depending on server and everything else.

Ive tried shutting down various other prorams on my PC and restarting my LFS and PC, it just doesnt help. Feels that I have 65-70% chance of getting LFS to run ok when I start my computer, and no, it doesnt help if I let the PC be on after a good boot-up(no LFS lag), this night I left it on and when I woke up I felt like taking a few laps, didnt work, FPS was rockbottom to about 2 FPS.

And Ive thought about it alot, havent done anything special before or during these freakin fps-drop happens. and oh, ive also left LFS running for 2 hours on a single server to see if it in some way would jump up to my normal FPS. Hope you can imagine how irritating it is, its impossible to play because of the "di-di-di moments". THANKS ALOT FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS IF YOU DID, and hope you dont mind my english. Thanks alot to anyone who tries to help me, im desperate!
Quote from LorenzoN1 :Hello, I get this strange FPS drop sometimes.
One day I can start the computer and LFS runs just fine, on and off -line. The other day it could drop down to around 2 FPS, Usually im on 70-90 FPS depending on server and everything else.

Ive tried shutting down various other prorams on my PC and restarting my LFS and PC, it just doesnt help. Feels that I have 65-70% chance of getting LFS to run ok when I start my computer, and no, it doesnt help if I let the PC be on after a good boot-up(no LFS lag), this night I left it on and when I woke up I felt like taking a few laps, didnt work, FPS was rockbottom to about 2 FPS.

And Ive thought about it alot, havent done anything special before or during these freakin fps-drop happens. and oh, ive also left LFS running for 2 hours on a single server to see if it in some way would jump up to my normal FPS. Hope you can imagine how irritating it is, its impossible to play because of the "di-di-di moments". THANKS ALOT FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS IF YOU DID, and hope you dont mind my english. Thanks alot to anyone who tries to help me, im desperate!

have you tried downloading a fresh install of LFS? downloading it again?
Probably your CPU overheating and throttling back. Clean your case out.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Probably your CPU overheating and throttling back. Clean your case out.

Sorry, but what do you really mean?
#5 - Silox
Quote from LorenzoN1 :Sorry, but what do you really mean?

Your PC gets overheated; you can open your PC and use a vacuum cleaner with a small brush to clean out the dirt from the fans and stuff...
Dust gets into the heatsink and the fins under the fan and not only reduces ability to channel heat out, but conducts heat in itself....
Quote from Silox :Your PC gets overheated; you can open your PC and use a vacuum cleaner with a small brush to clean out the dirt from the fans and stuff...

Its already open, look at this picture(sorry for the quality), this is how i always have it.

and thanks to everbody trying to help me.
Attached images
lfsfps.jpg
Which is a bad idea. It disrupts normal airflow. You should allow the case airflow and fans to work without a huge fan blowing shit into your PC.

If you need to have a fan blowing on your PC to keep it cool in the firstplace, then something's obviously wrong.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Which is a bad idea. It disrupts normal airflow. You should allow the case airflow and fans to work without a huge fan blowing shit into your PC.

If you need to have a fan blowing on your PC to keep it cool in the firstplace, then something's obviously wrong.

Hm, okay, but if its my CPU heat thats the problem, isnt there some kind of way checking it?
Download a program such as SpeedFan or something..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Download a program such as SpeedFan or something..

Alright, FAN1 is the one on my CPU, im certain, as i switched speed on it manually and noticed it was the only one changing RPM. Its temprature is 30-31C, is that good or bad? Maybe its important to say, im only running Firefox, MSN, Spotify and Utorrent right now, and those necessary programs like AVG free and so on, but nothing big.
That's pretty normal.
This is strange, I can run LFS just fine now, my temp is around 38-42C at what temprature should I start being concerned about heat problems?
Like anything above 60 is "ahhh"
Thanks for all the help man, im really happy. Hopefully I will find out what this problem is.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Which is a bad idea. It disrupts normal airflow. You should allow the case airflow and fans to work without a huge fan blowing shit into your PC.

S14 is right.

All the work that the CPU fan is doing to draw warm air away from the processor, is being undone as that desk fan is blowing all the heat back into the case again.

I almost guarantee that if you just put the side back on so the airflow is correct, it will run cooler than it does like that. Clean the dust off everything inside the pc as well and that should go a long way to keep it cool.

I clean the inside of my pc out every couple of months and it does make a differece.

Strange FPS drop
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG