The online racing simulator
Quote from bbman :At the pitstop, I ran into the next oddity: I seem to have gotten in a McDonald's Drive-Through... "I'd like a Hamburger to my new tyres, thank you"... I've never seen a driver ordering new tyres and fuel when he's stopping...

Would you mind explaining what the bloody hell your on about in a way that mere mortals understand pls

Quote from bbman : not only did my burnout apparently nothing to the tyre's wear, the temperature in all tyres was 25° C...

Ehh? The only time the tyre temps are 25 degrees is when you put a fresh set on, or you've let them cool down again. I cant reproduce that for anything. Can you do a short vid pls to show what you mean. I tried it and my tyres cooked.

EDIT:- I'm wrong

Now the one thing i agree on is you don't seem to be able to puncture them. Ill be adding that to the bugs thread.
Quote from The Moose :I cant reproduce that for anything.

you must be doing something wrong then its always been like that with nkp for me
take the ff1600 to any track drive out of the pits rights into the wall in front of you and rev the engine in first for a minute or so (lots of smoke in tv view)
reverse right back into your pit stall and be amazed at how the rear tyres arent even over 30°
Quote from Shotglass :you must be doing something wrong then

Aye i take it back. I tried it while doing doughnuts. Doing it the way you said does indeed do sod all to the temps.

Reported.
I guess I am not the only one with lift off oversteer problems with the demo car?

It's good but I am mildly disappointed? maybe I have yet find the sweet spot where the physics magic shines but skippy in Iracing still feels superior in many ways personally. soo....inputs?
Quote from JJ72 :I guess I am not the only one with lift off oversteer problems with the demo car?

It's good but I am mildly disappointed? maybe I have yet find the sweet spot where the physics magic shines but skippy in Iracing still feels superior in many ways personally. soo....inputs?

It has an open diff, so you'll get plenty of lift off oversteer especially at low speed.
Quote from JJ72 :I guess I am not the only one with lift off oversteer problems with the demo car?

Yeah I found it has a real tendency to suddenly swap ends while braking for a corner. It's not the rears locking either.

That's not a problem. It's how they should behave.

Move the brake balance to 68-70% to the front to stop the car from trying to swap ends under braking. (and turn the brake multiplier down to 70 or 80 percent)
And lift your brake pedal gently - i found this more important then just more forward brake bias... If you get off the brakes too fast you will unsettle whole car...
Quote from Crashgate3 :Yeah I found it has a real tendency to suddenly swap ends while braking for a corner. It's not the rears locking either.

That's brake control. Naturally without the feel of G force, weight transfer... it's hard to judge. Correct usage of the brake pedal cured that problem straight away for me. People hit the brakes, then turn expected to not spin.

If it happens in real life you rarely hear people blaming the physics model of reality

I only had that issue when I was being aggressive on the downshifts on downhill or variable camber turns/chicanes and not blipping. A few setup tweaks, as mentioned above, can help remedy that though and let you abuse the car quite a bit.

So - what does this "HARDMODE=1" deal do? I tried it and didn't quite spot a difference in the ffb...

The only time I got the see-sawing of the wheel some people mentioned was when I remembered to switch my wheel from 900 degrees to 450 after noticing the in-game wheel - that helped a tonne in controlling that squirmy bastard. It stopped after I recalibrated the wheel in NKpro though - any other odd vibes I get are clearly from flatspotting, which oddly enough can even occur from prolonged four-wheel drifts even though the wheels don't lock up. Somehow I didn't imagine that you could flatspot a tyre like that.
Quote from xaotik :So - what does this "HARDMODE=1" deal do? I tried it and didn't quite spot a difference in the ffb...

RTFM!

ok i'll read it for you

"netKar PRO has a special force feedback setting called ‘Hardmode’. This mode is
using an algorithm directly applied from technology used in the highest forms of
racing, where the steering is sort of ‘boosted’ at low torques values. Hardmode will
provide a firmer steering, but doesn’t calculate speed, and will not be completely
realistic for the Formula2000 and FTarget cars.
Hardmode is interesting for drivers who prefer harder steering forces. Using it is
therefore preferable to raising the ‘gain and clipping’ values in the setup."
-
(DaveWS) DELETED by DaveWS
Quote from The Moose :RTFM!

Jeepers, you're right! It was on page 120 of 144 and nowhere near the controller config section. I wonder why he didn't just add a checkbox for it instead.

That last bit was rhetorical.
Quote from The Moose :Would you mind explaining what the bloody hell your on about in a way that mere mortals understand pls

I'm stopping in my designated pit box - nothing happens... I have to pull up the interface and order my non-existant pitcrew to change the tyres and fuel me up... I stopped at the pits, what else do they think I'm gonna need? There is no menu to preselect what they should do the second I'm stopping, unless I've missed something...

Quote from The Moose :"netKar PRO has a special force feedback setting called ‘Hardmode’. This mode is
using an algorithm directly applied from technology used in the highest forms of
racing, where the steering is sort of ‘boosted’ at low torques values. Hardmode will
provide a firmer steering, but doesn’t calculate speed, and will not be completely
realistic for the Formula2000 and FTarget cars.
Hardmode is interesting for drivers who prefer harder steering forces. Using it is
therefore preferable to raising the ‘gain and clipping’ values in the setup."

I don't quite understand: is it only steering torque? My FFB maxes out everytime I go up a kerb or when I'm braking on one - even on 0.6 FF gain... Any lower and I get no SAT anymore...
Quote from DaveWS :Edit: RSWC tomorrow Moose, will you be pulled away from NKP to race?

I'm afraid not. I've pulled out of all LFS racing for the foreseeable future. It just isn't doing anything for me at the moment. I imagine once the next season of GPC is over i'll need a break from nKPro and will fire it up again.

Quote from xaotik :Jeepers, you're right! It was on page 120 of 144 and nowhere near the controller config section. I wonder why he didn't just add a checkbox for it instead.

You don't think doing things the logical way has any place in nKPRo do you?

I think as the hardmode thing for FFB is probably regarded as experimental it was left as a manual edit for the time being. Hopefull that and the other tweaks in the nkpro.ini will be added as menu choices in the new GUI.

Quote from bbman :I'm stopping in my designated pit box - nothing happens... I have to pull up the interface and order my non-existant pitcrew to change the tyres and fuel me up... I stopped at the pits, what else do they think I'm gonna need? There is no menu to preselect what they should do the second I'm stopping, unless I've missed something...

I don't quite understand: is it only steering torque? My FFB maxes out everytime I go up a kerb or when I'm braking on one - even on 0.6 FF gain... Any lower and I get no SAT anymore...

Ahh, got you I dont think the 'pit stop' stuff has really been worked on much as none of the real life series for any of the current nKPro cars involve pitstops. I agree it would be a nice option to have better pre planned pitstop options in the future. If we ever get the F1 car officially in nKPro then that will surely have to be implemented properly.

I dont really understand the technicalities of the hardmode FFB. I tried it but you dont get the feel of change when understeering so well, so i gave up on that pretty quickly. I might play around with it a bit more soon. Thats really a subject you need to bring up at RSC.
Quote from bbman :I'm stopping in my designated pit box - nothing happens... I have to pull up the interface and order my non-existant pitcrew to change the tyres and fuel me up... I stopped at the pits, what else do they think I'm gonna need? There is no menu to preselect what they should do the second I'm stopping, unless I've missed something...

In nKP there are no aids. You have to do it all. Apparently it's more realistic that way.

Fortunately Stefano didn't make you, the driver, get out and measure tyre temps and pressures after each run (are hot temps shown? I can't remember). And he's still only got a cursory understanding of how a race car is set up. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about that.
it's been prolly mentioned here before, but how can I get more than 5 servers in the connection list?

or are there just 5 servers?
I tried the 1600 on slicks for a few laps and its been too long since 1.02 to compare it to that.. Its not bad, but not that impressive either imo..
Quote from three_jump :it's been prolly mentioned here before, but how can I get more than 5 servers in the connection list?

Comes and goes it seems. I've seen 8 or 9 at one time.
Quote from three_jump :it's been prolly mentioned here before, but how can I get more than 5 servers in the connection list?

Do you just have the demo? If you do you'll only see F1600 servers.
So you have to join them by manually typing in an IP copied from your web-browser? I can't be bothered to do that. I'll stick with the 5-10 that show up in game.
Quote from tristancliffe :So you have to join them by manually typing in an IP copied from your web-browser? I can't be bothered to do that. I'll stick with the 5-10 that show up in game.

Now that. Is idle at its peak.
Quote from StableX :you mean the full list of servers that have dloaded and installed the rank plugin

Which is virtually all of them now.

Quote from tristancliffe :So you have to join them by manually typing in an IP copied from your web-browser? I can't be bothered to do that. I'll stick with the 5-10 that show up in game.

Christ, and i thought i was lazy... I never realised copy and paste was so time consuming.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG