I like both!
Paahh! i don't like muscle cars!
Modern and up-to-date!
#26 - MR_B
I can some this up......

To the left, the old school muscle car.
To the right, todays muscle cars...
Quote from Tim_J_23 :Was it?
I think the last year with the 5.0 was 1993 because that was the last fox-body mustang ... Then with the whole new mustang they changed to the 4.6 on the mustang, cougar and thunderbird ...

From wikipedia,

"Though initially used in the 1994 and 1995 Mustang GT, Ford retired the 302 cu in (4.9 L) overhead-valve small-block V8 after nearly 40 years of use, replacing it with the newer Modular 4.6 L (281 cid) SOHC V8 in the 1996 Mustang GT."

They left it in the Mustang for a couple more years. They did switch in the Cougar and Thunderbird in 94.

Quote from MR_B :I can some this up......

To the left, the old school muscle car.
To the right, todays muscle cars...

I think Mr B has pretty much summed it up right there.
Dodge Viper SRT10 :lovies3d:
Oh, thanks!
Own a 5.0L Fox-body Thunderbird myself (1988) and I gotta say, that darn 5.0 it the slowest thing ever!
I ran 16.9xx on the 1/4 with it, almost stock just a K&N air filter.
Although I'm currently rebuilding the whole car
But the Thunderbird/Cougar version had 165HP and the Mustang had 225 if I'm not mistaking.
but the Lincoln mark ... xxx can't remember which, the one which was "rich man Mustang" did it have the Mustang 5.0 or the Thunderbird/cougar one?
does it have to be american ?

cause i love the 1970 skyline coupe myself ( like a camaro but its actually good )

though e30 beemers are a German muscle car i guess... minus a v8... though theres several Very fine v10 examples
Quote from Tim_J_23 :Oh, thanks!
Own a 5.0L Fox-body Thunderbird myself (1988) and I gotta say, that darn 5.0 it the slowest thing ever!
I ran 16.9xx on the 1/4 with it, almost stock just a K&N air filter.
Although I'm currently rebuilding the whole car
But the Thunderbird/Cougar version had 165HP and the Mustang had 225 if I'm not mistaking.
but the Lincoln mark ... xxx can't remember which, the one which was "rich man Mustang" did it have the Mustang 5.0 or the Thunderbird/cougar one?

Your 16 yo and you own car like that? Congratz
Quote from theirishnoob :cause i love the 1970 skyline coupe myself ( like a camaro but its actually good )
e30 beemers are a German muscle car i guess... minus a v8... though theres several Very fine v10 examples

1969 - 1972 KPGC10 skyline GT-R is a I6 2.0 160 bhp lightweight small coupe...
1967 Camaro is a up to 6.5 v8, heavy, big coupe
1981 E30 is a I6, up to 2.7 and 170 bhp family saloon...

yup... they seem quite similar...

are you sure you know what's a "mucle car"?
Oldschool, because the new ones are too wannabe retro for my liking. Yeah, this is coming from a guy that likes tuned up Japanese sports cars, but hey, nothing wrong with some old-time American muscle, I guess.
Quote from squidhead :1969 - 1972 KPGC10 skyline GT-R is a I6 2.0 160 bhp lightweight small coupe...
1967 Camaro is a up to 6.5 v8, heavy, big coupe
1981 E30 is a I6, up to 2.7 and 170 bhp family saloon...

yup... they seem quite similar...

are you sure you know what's a "mucle car"?

yes, it spins its tyres all day, cant corner and smells of pee and JD... right ??
Quote from theirishnoob :yes, it spins its tyres all day, cant corner

OK, so by your logic very controllable sportscars from Japan and Germany can't corner...
Quote from squidhead :OK, so by your logic very controllable sportscars from Japan and Germany can't corner...

no, they can , americans cant, see thats just it...

a neighbour just bought a late 70's pontiac trans am...

he spinds the tyres without even trying

haven driven a 2.5 straight 6 e30 m3 ( by no means the most powerful car in the world but roughly 1200 kg striped and lightly tweaked to the mid 200 hp range... ) it keeps you glued to the seat... weather you like it or not... and it is a german muscle car...

oh and its a c*** to try and keep from going sideways...

the skyline on the other hand, it just handles quite well, has the great 70's low slung coupe style with a great lump under the bonnet...

would make a great cosmo transplant.
I think some of you need to check the definition of "muscle car" to be honest.

The term originally was coined at the end of the 60s and would not cover half of the cars that you guys are going on about. Originally they were just regular big cars that owners would tune themselves. They weren't technically supposed to be factory-designed high-performance cars, although these days companies seem to be trying to create them themselves, which if you ask me sort of goes against the entire ethos.
Quote from theirishnoob :
no, they can , americans cant, see thats just it...
a neighbour just bought a late 70's pontiac trans am...
he spinds the tyres without even trying
haven driven a 2.5 straight 6 e30 m3 ( by no means the most powerful car in the world but roughly 1200 kg striped and lightly tweaked to the mid 200 hp range... ) it keeps you glued to the seat... weather you like it or not... and it is a german muscle car...
the skyline on the other hand, it just handles quite well, has the great 70's low slung coupe style with a great lump under the bonnet...

Please stop talking about cars...
M3 was
1. Never I6 in E30
2. Never 2.5 liter (that is the M3 Evo III (sport evolution) and there are only 600 of those ever made)

American Muscle cars were
1. Never European
2. Never Japanese

Small engined coupes and sedans were never Muscle cars
Non V8 cars were never considerd Muscle cars

If you have any objections - please feel free to keep them to yourself. If you think you're still right - please say to yourself that KPGC10 Skyline and the E30 M3 are 60-70s American V8 powered big coupes, and then smack yourself on the face for such a statement
Quote from mrodgers :I beg to differ.....

That... is a Buick GNX... which came with
267 cu in (4.4 L) Chevrolet V8
305 cu in (5 L) Chevrolet V8
307 cu in (5 L) Oldsmobile V8
Quote from squidhead :That... is a Buick GNX... which came with
267 cu in (4.4 L) Chevrolet V8
305 cu in (5 L) Chevrolet V8
307 cu in (5 L) Oldsmobile V8

May have been a poor photo selection.

1987 Buick Grand National 3.8L V6 Turbo of which I believe is pictured above, but can't be positive. The following is definitely not the V8.

Quote from mrodgers :May have been a poor photo selection.
1987 Buick Grand National 3.8L V6 Turbo of which I believe is pictured above, but can't be positive. The following is definitely not the V8.

I'd put it under "sportscoupe" (a poor performing as one, yes, but a sportscoupe), rather than a muscle car then... I mean, what kind of a muscle car is it if it's not a burbling V8, but a V6 with it's turbo whistling?

And if you don't see my point about the same car being in different categories because of the engine - I'd continue with saying that A Civic Type-R is a sportscar, while the Civic 1.6 is a small 3 door hatch. Skyline GT-R R33 is a Sportscar, while a 2.0 Skyline is a regular coupe, and so on. The engine matters...
Quote from squidhead :Please stop talking about cars...
M3 was
1. Never I6 in E30
2. Never 2.5 liter (that is the M3 Evo III (sport evolution) and there are only 600 of those ever made)

American Muscle cars were
1. Never European
2. Never Japanese

Small engined coupes and sedans were never Muscle cars
Non V8 cars were never considerd Muscle cars

If you have any objections - please feel free to keep them to yourself. If you think you're still right - please say to yourself that KPGC10 Skyline and the E30 M3 are 60-70s American V8 powered big coupes, and then smack yourself on the face for such a statement

never once did i state they where american, or v8, but doesnt the m5 come into account and the new m3, seeing as it has a v8 ( the m3 ) and is sold in america...

the bare qualifications of a muscle car.

oh it can corner...

besides, didnt bmw make the original SRT engine for dodge...

so that makes them a muscle car maker... :o

i lovethe smells of pwn'age in the afternoon.
Quote from theirishnoob :never once did i state they where american, or v8,(Or musclecars for that matter, but I put them in anyway (added by Squid on your behalf) but doesnt the m5 come into account and the new m3, seeing as it has a v8 ( the m3 )

Muscle cars are AMERICAN CARS FROM 1960-1970's.
Modern Muscle are REMAKES of AMERICAN CARS FROM 1960-1970, Using similar design and similar schematics (Big heavy coupe, AMERICAN MADE, MASSIVE V8 in the front, rear wheel drive in the back, bad cornering abilities, massive torque)

You are being YOURSELF (not to insult you with definitions) by bringing in Japanese and German sportscars.

Next, M5 is a V10 sports saloon full of electronics which has been tamed on the "Ring".
M3 is a V8 (wow, you got that one right this time) sports saloon or a sports coupe full of electronics which has been tamed on the Ring.
How exactly are they Big heavy coupes made in USA in the 70s, with a massive V8 in the front?

Quote from theirishnoob :
besides, didnt bmw make the original SRT engine for dodge...
so that makes them a muscle car maker... :o

You're an adorable little troll with no proper information or inteligence in your head, aren't you? OFCOURSE , You're right... oh wait.. no you're not, BMW never made an engine for Chrysler...Oh yes... the Tiritec! How could I forget... BMW and Chrysler teamed up and came up with a 1.6 Inline 4 SINGLE overhead camshaft engine, which in your little thing you call brain equalt to massive, American V8
WOW... they sure ARE muscle car makers!
And by your own logic : Making an Engine = making a whole car... which is a moronic statement, may I add, especially considering BMW never COMPLETELY DESIGNED that engine.

Quote from theirishnoob :i lovethe smells of pwn'age in the afternoon.

You love smelling yourself getting pwned? You are a weird thing, you know that?

As I said - please stop talking about cars, as you actually have no idea what they are
Quote from squidhead :
And if you don't see my point about the same car being in different categories because of the engine - I'd continue with saying that A Civic Type-R is a sportscar, while the Civic 1.6 is a small 3 door hatch. Skyline GT-R R33 is a Sportscar, while a 2.0 Skyline is a regular coupe, and so on. The engine matters...

ummm what skyline are u refering to with 2.0 skyline? hopfully not the R33GTST

here is what i think
R32 GTS coupe
R32GTST Sports Coupe
R32 GTS4 Sports Coupe
R32GTR Sports Coupe
R33 GTS coupe
R33 GTST Sports Coupe
R33 GTST-Mspec Sports Coupe
R33 GTR Sports Coupe

and yes their is lots of other skylines i just failed to list the nismo's nur's and N1's cause they are all Sports Coupe's
what surprises me is that people go on about how great the skyline is, while forgetting its older sister...

can you name her ?
Quote from theirishnoob :what surprises me is that people go on about how great the skyline is, while forgetting its older sister...

can you name her ?

The 959, while also being a powerful fast car with a sophisticated AWD system is barely something that you can call "practical big coupe, both fast and quite reliable, while being affordable, widely spread and having a wide variety of affordable aftermarket pars".
Stay on topic, on which you never appeared in this thread...

@MAD3.0LT - I was thinking about the GTS originally. But the Nismo is the only one of the R33 family that actually makes the R33 body stand out and IMHO puts the R33 body on the map... Not only because the Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-spec Nismo 400 R has the biggest name i've seen, but also due to the engine.

Ok, on topic - Muscle cars...
lol yer what GTS cause the R33 GTS was a 2.5L not a 2.0L :P the only one that came 2.0L was the R32 allso the VL RB NZ export was a 2.0L RB engine :P

and though i love the 400R i prefer a R32 GTR

and anyways my stance on muscle cas is they were only built from 1960's to mid 1970's :P
Quote from MAD3.0LT :lol yer what GTS cause the R33 GTS was a 2.5L not a 2.0L :P the only one that came 2.0L was the R32 allso the VL RB NZ export was a 2.0L RB engine :P

Well, let me put it this way, the lol's on you , since the GTS25 was equipped with a RB25DE, as well as the GTS4. The GTS came with a 2.0 RB20E

Educate yourself please
ummmm non GTR 1989 and up as i dont really class the older ones as real skylines
and i guess u were right the R33 did have a 2.0l :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline

R32 Models:
  • GXi Type-X - 1.8 L CA18i I4, 91 hp (67 kW)
  • GTE Type-X - 2.0 L RB20E I6, 125 hp (93 kW, 152 N m)
  • GTS Type-X, S, J - 2.0 L RB20DE I6 155 hp (115 kW, 154 N m)
  • GTS-25 Type-X, S, XG - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 180 hp (134 kW, 231 N m)
  • GTS-t Type-M - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
  • GTS-4 - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
  • GTS-4 - 2.6 L RB26DE I6, 225 hp (169 kW, Autech Version - auto only
R33 models:R34

Old v. New (Muscle Cars)
(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG