The online racing simulator

Poll : Which input device do you use for LFS?

Wheel, 900° or more, 3 pedals, H-shifter (like G25, Porsche or custom made)
Wheel, 180° to 270°, 2 pedals, seq shifter/paddles
Wheel, up to 900°, 2 pedals, seq shifter/paddles (like Driving Force GT or Pro)
Mouse
Wheel, less than 900°, 3 pedals, H-shifter
Gamepad (analog)
Keyboard only or digital device (joy, gamepad)
Wheel, less than 180°, 2 pedals, seq shifter/paddles
Joystick (analog)
Something totally different (like telepathy or voice-recognition)
Quote from Bandit77 :but, NightShift, I also think that what we see here is not 1:1 to what we have on the servers... simply because "people in the forums" do not equal "people playing".

Fair enough, though I have a feeling there are a number of underutilized G25s out there. Which if you think of it, it's quite a waste.

I would expect people to play it to the max of their equipment choices, just as much as you would expect anyone to use the best graphics settings their computer let them run with.

I used sequential mode when I was on the pad, now it would feel meaningless to me to use anything different from what the car has.

It's a simulator after all, and if I wanted to play something with cars in it, that requires skill and no wheel whatsoever - I would go back to TrackMania. That's a game and bears no resemblance to reality, it's all about mastering it and having fun in the meanwhile.

As for willing to win, it's a bit like those people who buy soccer management games and then want to play no other but the top teams, because easy = fun. It's just beyond me
G25 here...

I'm using up to 720° but if the VWS will have 900°, I will be using whole 900°.
Quote from NightShift :The poll outcome looks quite suspect to me. Manual clutch + shifter?? Come on...

Whenever I look at hotlaps or spectate people online, I see sequential, sequential and some more sequential. I guess this amazing crowd of manual users are only such when they're cruising?

I use manual clutch and H-shifter when I'm racing, and if my PB's were in the hotlap tables, I'd be top 10 on most of the CTRA combos.
I've got g25 and can't stand paddle shifting, and the standard h-shifter sucks, so I got SST Lightning. I can't believe people use paddle shifters out of open wheelers . I only race with H-shifter
Driving force pro here
I use "The Force" but I use it for good not evil.
DFGT and happy enough!
G25 240° for everything+sequential shift,i use H-shift for drifting
Quote from e2mustang :G25 240° for everything+sequential shift,i use H-shift for drifting

Why don't you buy a Momo then?
Mouse i

Rememeber kids, never sell your MOMO
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Why don't you buy a Momo then?

i had momo,thats why i exported it from myself to argentina and coz mostly i drift i need H shift,oh well i use h shift for fzr too
#37 - senn
G25, use all the pedals, h shifter (paddles for the cars that need it)
270degrees (i've been working it up, but 720 or so just feels too slow to me, find i can't counter steer quick enough if i get tapped or get it onto the grass)
G25 with 425degrees to all cars. More would be to slow for me..

H-shifter and manual clutch with TBO and (slower ones, GTI?) cars.
GTRs,Formulas and all the others those shifters behind the wheel and normally auto clutch..
Even if i got auto-clutch on, im using at a same time the pedal clutch for avoiding those understeer collapses (fast kick to clutch
and it starting to turn way better, for those RWD cars i mean..)
DF GT @450 Degrees. Actlabs RS2006 pedals ( made a brake damper out of one of my kid's Christmas Stocking stuffers after she threw it on the gas stove top...with the top lit.....just singed a bit) and a Sim-Gear Lightning SST H Shifter when it can be used in LFS. Other wise I modded a set of really quick slappy paddles on the back and did it without voiding the warranty. The button paddles just suck and I don't reach them well... you know what they say about guys with small hands...... You can really slap the bee-haysuse out of these like i've seen some formula drivers do before. Paddle throw is prolly about 1/8 inch or a bit more. This mod would work on the DFP as well.

Though I am about to pre-order the Fanatec Clubsport Pedals and give them a try...if they don't live up to the hype I'm going to continue saving for a full set of CST GT style pedals.

Jay
Telepathy ftw.
#41 - senn
Quote from jbirdaspec :
Though I am about to pre-order the Fanatec Clubsport Pedals and give them a try...if they don't live up to the hype I'm going to continue saving for a full set of CST GT style pedals.

Jay

Please write up a review when ya do, after first use and maybe after a few months (wear and tear etc) Always on the lookout for new toys...
Usualy only DFP @360deg.
For fun: DFP @900deg + DIY H-shifter with clutch (from old DFP pedals) and handbrake
Keyboard :thumbsdow I do have a MOMO.. but doesn't work with my current setup (LFS via CrossOver on a Mac).
Are people serious when they are saying they use the mouse???

That's insane. Reminds me of that James Bond movie where he drives his BMW with a little trackpad device. Must be incredibly difficult. I think I'd rather attempt to use the keyboard (ugh).

My setup is an old ACT Labs Force RS wheel held together with superglue and duct tape. Not that it's a fragile thing, I've just dropped it a few times and headbutted it once. Other that that, it still works flawlessly.

I'd love to upgrade soon to shifters and a clutch-pedal setup.
Quote from Ikaponthus :Are people serious when they are saying they use the mouse???

That's insane. Reminds me of that James Bond movie where he drives his BMW with a little trackpad device. Must be incredibly difficult. I think I'd rather attempt to use the keyboard (ugh).

My setup is an old ACT Labs Force RS wheel held together with superglue and duct tape. Not that it's a fragile thing, I've just dropped it a few times and headbutted it once. Other that that, it still works flawlessly.

I'd love to upgrade soon to shifters and a clutch-pedal setup.

once u get used to it, the steering is as easy (sometimes a bit better even cus its faster and more precise) as a wheel.

the only problem is no analog throttle and brake
Quote from Fastwalker :once u get used to it, the steering is as easy (sometimes a bit better even cus its faster and more precise) as a wheel.

the only problem is no analog throttle and brake

That's a pretty massive "only problem"! I'm sure you're aware that when you're racing, the throttle and the brake go a long way to "steering" the car. I almost think of them like rudder pedals on an aeroplane sometimes. I think that independently operating brake and accelerator pedals are just as important, if not more important, than the steering wheel! Not that I'm a very good "sim-driver" or anything. I just can't imagine using a mouse to drive a racing car.

But if you manage then all the power to you! If you can drive well with that, I'd hate to have to race you if you ever got yourself a good wheel/pedal setup!
i used mouse for 2 weeks and hated it! so KB for 3 months then i8 got a two stick gamepad.
Quote from chavm481 :i used mouse for 2 weeks and hated it! so KB for 3 months then i8 got a two stick gamepad.

To be totally honest, I couldn't imagine driving a racing car with a gamepad either. If you can do it well, you're a better driver than me anyway. Which wouldn't be hard.
Quote from Ikaponthus :But if you manage then all the power to you! If you can drive well with that, I'd hate to have to race you if you ever got yourself a good wheel/pedal setup!

getting one soon possibly this week
Quote from Ikaponthus :the throttle and the brake go a long way to "steering" the car. I almost think of them like rudder pedals on an aeroplane sometimes.

you do know that you can pretty much get along without ever touching the rudder-pedals in any plane, do you? [/smart-assing]

Talking about mouse-steering and planes: I remember trying to fly planes in FS2 with the mouse on an Amiga back in the 80s. Baaah... something really ugly is the fact that it doesn't center itself - same goes for LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG