The online racing simulator
question about UK flag in this forum
(85 posts, started )

Ftw :hide:

:P
Quote :I'll have ye know that on the 6th of December in 1922, Ireland signed the Anglo-Irish Treaty, which split the relations between the Rep. of Ireland and the United Kingdom, only leaving 6 counties to the British - Northern Ireland.

Of course, but the flag was not changed, they didnt drop 3 of the 4 diagonal red lines for instance... If I was going for a full history of the Imperial homeland i'd have to talk about Cornwall and Brittany, and having visited both, I see no reason to ever mention either of them.

S14 & Mateo, heraldic symbols are not flags. You might put one above a gatehouse or on the shield of a knight doing battle for the Monarch as part of the land tithe, but if anything they are merely representative of the feudal system which predates the concept of nations (which in many cultures still doesnt exist, there is for instance no equivellent word to 'nation' in some European dialects). The feudal system, and the concepts of house and land/peasant ownership that derive from it is mostly gone now as we move steadily toward globalisation, but many want to see us as still owned by our sovereign state. Personally i'm a "person" before i'm Welsh before i'm Scottish/English/Irish (@niall, that's republic btw - but i'm Irish enough to consider myself not Irish enough to be Irish).
I know they're not flags. Am I stupid or what.

It's the thingy of my county, which is more win than the national flag.

I dont need a flag, I got my own coat of arms!
Slightly off topic, but i fully believe that this should be the new british flag!

Quote from danthebangerboy :Slightly off topic, but i fully believe that this should be the new british flag!

And Bohemian Rhapsody the new national anthem?
Quote from Becky Rose :Of course, but the flag was not changed, they didnt drop 3 of the 4 diagonal red lines for instance... If I was going for a full history of the Imperial homeland i'd have to talk about Cornwall and Brittany, and having visited both, I see no reason to ever mention either of them.

S14 & Mateo, heraldic symbols are not flags. You might put one above a gatehouse or on the shield of a knight doing battle for the Monarch as part of the land tithe, but if anything they are merely representative of the feudal system which predates the concept of nations (which in many cultures still doesnt exist, there is for instance no equivellent word to 'nation' in some European dialects). The feudal system, and the concepts of house and land/peasant ownership that derive from it is mostly gone now as we move steadily toward globalisation, but many want to see us as still owned by our sovereign state. Personally i'm a "person" before i'm Welsh before i'm Scottish/English/Irish (@niall, that's republic btw - but i'm Irish enough to consider myself not Irish enough to be Irish).

yeah i also knew, but i posted it because S14 posted it
Quote from Becky Rose :And Bohemian Rhapsody the new national anthem?

Nah...more appropriate would be: "I'm going Slightly Mad" !

(anything except Cwm Rhondda, anyway!)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I know they're not flags. Am I stupid or what.

It's not my place to judge you, but I do have an opinion...

Quote :It's the thingy of my county, which is more win than the national flag.

I got two family crests, my ancestors didn't serve the local baron, they where the local barons... I thought i'd die of shame before admitting that.
Attached images
NialCoatOfArms.gif
Quote from Becky Rose :It's not my place to judge you, but I do have an opinion...

I got two family crests, my ancestors didn't serve the local baron, they where the local barons... I thought i'd die of shame before admitting that.

well, if we start talking about our familys i can tell you that one of the 8 founders of montevideo's city hall in 1726 was from my family, and since then until now there always have been politicians in my family, presidents, ministers, senators, etc :P now i have an uncle that has been senator, one that has been health minister, and one that has been embassador, and my mother choosed to be a teacher ¬¬ lol :P

EDIT: here is the shield

Quote from [plidex] mateo :well, if we start talking about our familys i can tell you that one of the 8 founders of montevideo's city hall in 1726 was from my family, and since then until now there always have been politicians in my family, presidents, ministers, senators, etc :P now i have an uncle that has been senator, one that has been health minister, and one that has been embassador, and my mother choosed to be a teacher ¬¬ lol :P

Credit to your mom. The rest i'd try and keep quiet about.

"Do you have a flag?"
#39 - 5haz
Because the Uk was thrown together (By ruthlessly invading and defeating whoever had any power there many hundred years ago, at least in Wale's case) from several different states, all of which have since been trying to get away.
If the Bavarians get their own flag, I want mine too!
Attached images
flagge_nordrhein_westfalen_001.gif
Quote from Becky Rose :I got two family crests, my ancestors didn't serve the local baron, they where the local barons... I thought i'd die of shame before admitting that.

Did they order theirs from a paint artist?

Sorry.

Yes, I realise it's because of the background that has been cut out.
I wonder how many people share my opinion that our national anthem should be changed to "Rule, Britannia!", that would do more to stir up patriotism than a pointless British day that nobody will recognise or celebrate.
this has turned into post your flag thread.
thats a idea...
#44 - 5haz
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I wonder how many people share my opinion that our national anthem should be changed to "Rule, Britannia!", that would do more to stir up patriotism than a pointless British day that nobody will recognise or celebrate.

No, the national anthem of the Uk should be 'Whole Lotta Love', seeing as Zeppelin were one of the biggest things ever to come out of the Uk since WW2.

And there should be a televised dragon slaying contest on the day too.
Could be hard to get the dragons.

Or we could just pit an army of ferrets against a bound and gagged Max Mosley in Wembley Stadium ... he'd like the bound and gagged bit - but he'd be bitten considerably worse than the late, great Richard Whiteley was!
#46 - 5haz
Quote from duke_toaster :Could be hard to get the dragons.

Or we could just pit an army of ferrets against a bound and gagged Max Mosley in Wembley Stadium ... he'd like the bound and gagged bit

Indeed, of course I'd like to see him get thrown out of the FIA too.

Quote :but he'd be bitten considerably worse than the late, great Richard Whiteley was!

Richard Whitely was bitten by a Ferret?

Ok, perhaps Dragons are a bit beyond our budget, maybe Welsh people then, pissed on Brains.
IF anyone asks me where im from i say Scotland.

If they ask me what nationality i am i say Scottish

Somehow i dont like to relate myself to the United Kingdom or Great Britain.

I want Scotland to independant but i dont think thats going to happen any time soon

I have nothing against other people from other parts of the UK i just dont want to be part of it
That's exactly what English people think, but with England. And same for Welsh.
I hate the idea of countries. I can see they're necessary from a purely administrative point of view, but in my opinion, they're just another way for people to divide themselves up into 'us' and 'them', in which it doesn't really matter what happens to 'them' because in a part of people's minds (albeit a small, tucked-away part for most people) they 'don't really count'.

I say i'm 'British' but that's just in reference to which side of an arbitrary imaginary line I was born. I don't reall feel any impulse to be patriotic in any way, to be honest I feel a little bit embarrassed about being British.

EDIT: haha, that sounds well depressing, ain't nihilism great?
Quote from Crashgate3 :I hate the idea of countries. I can see they're necessary from a purely administrative point of view, but in my opinion, they're just another way for people to divide themselves up into 'us' and 'them', in which it doesn't really matter what happens to 'them' because in a part of people's minds (albeit a small, tucked-away part for most people) they 'don't really count'.

I say i'm 'British' but that's just in reference to which side of an arbitrary imaginary line I was born. I don't reall feel any impulse to be patriotic in any way, to be honest I feel a little bit embarrassed about being British.

EDIT: haha, that sounds well depressing, ain't nihilism great?

yea sounds familiar
Whenever i go on holiday to a country that has a decent economy (Germany, Finland i suppose) i never really want to return home as i feel like i want to part of a differant Country.

question about UK flag in this forum
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG