The online racing simulator
Build your own Engine
(104 posts, started )
#51 - Vain
Quote from jtw62074 :A full blown 4-stroke model takes quite a bit longer to develop.

How scalable is your model? Can you take your maths-sheet and get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 cylinders in V and inline-configuration in a reasonable timeframe compared to the already done work?
I just ask this out of curiosity. Also the answer would determin wether it'd be a good idea to get your head with Scawen together.
And by the way, did you think about a sound-engine? The maths that are involved in your motor model should be helpful there...
All in all .

Vain
Quote from jtw62074 :Interesting viewpoint. At peak power the error is only 4.5%, and that wider area past the peak is 10%. Below the peak torque the data was unknown and indeed should drop similarily to the sim curve. Average error is within 5%. That's with my wild guesses at flow rates at all the ports and so on. From an engineering standpoint that's considered excellent

a bit hard to tell the error without any scale ... but the thing the approximation is constantly significantly above the measurement so your simulated engine has a larger power band and higher peak power which should make the car quite a bit faster

Quote :The amount of time it takes to write something like that completely depends on the individual. It took me several months and I've done it before a couple of times, so it's not a small task, unfortunately. A full blown 4-stroke model takes quite a bit longer to develop.

well i guess that kills the idea until well into s3 at least
Quote from Shotglass :a bit hard to tell the error without any scale ...

It's easy. Open up that pic in a paint program and count pixels like I did

Quote : but the thing the approximation is constantly significantly above the measurement so your simulated engine has a larger power band and higher peak power which should make the car quite a bit faster

Yes, but that's just one of the curves from when I was messing around with some new development stuff to make sure things shifted around correctly when things were changed. It wasn't meant to be spot on. I just plopped it together real quick to illustrate my point about it being unnecessary to do all the 3D mesh stuff and wait hours or days to produce a pretty good curve. As I said, there are several flow restriction values that are completely unknown through ports and passages. Garbage in, garbage out. In addition, I'm still working on it, so bear with me please

As said before, if some of the unknowns are tweaked it fits almost exactly, but that's not any sort of validation of a model. What counts is that you're pretty close when making reasonable estimations of the unknown stuff that has dramatic effects. If we want to be picky about it, the motor from the dyno test is a '97 engine that's a little bit different from the one I took measurements of.

Anyway, try this next one instead if that's what's important

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/2stroke-C.JPG

If the tail at the high end throws you off, don't despair. We did not have data for the very top end of the curve or the bottom end before the clutch engaged.
-
(jtw62074) DELETED by jtw62074
I think an engine creator would be wonderful and loads of fun.

I know it would be difficult for some people to figure it out, but if you have some default selections, they would have something to start with and would be able to make small adjustments to parameters and I bet they would eventually figure stuff out.

An other way to make people that are less knowledgeable able to remain competitive would be to simply have a check box when creating a server to allow or disallow modified engines.

If anyone has ever used Desktop Dyno (link), you would most likely agree that everything that it allows you to do may be sufficient, although I would like to see a wider range of compressors or maybe custom compressors that you can design your own flow chart.
those graphs look much better ... if it wasnt for the long development time youd have convinced me by now
Modded engines? How about engines which puke oil, coolant, and rods onto the track if you really screw up?
Quote from hideaki-san :Modded engines? How about engines which puke oil, coolant, and rods onto the track if you really screw up?

Yes.
And lots of black and white smoke out of the exhaust and hood when it tells you "I can't take this shit any longer".

Quote from Ill_eagle94 :Yes.

Quote from lalathegreat :Those leagues where deff made with driver skill in mind. but the whole goal of the engine tweak tune build is not to destroy that aspect of LFS but to add to LFS. Just because Engine modifications where added don't mean u can't hold racees where the engines are the same. no?

As i stated before i rather see it user determined whether or not engines can be modified for a given race

LFS as a sim is very unique because its not a road car sim, Formula sim,kart sim. its a mixture of all, and this is mostly due to its dynamic physics. because of this u see stuff like drifting happenning. as sure when scarwen first started he prob didn't fore see people drifting. Engine modfication would create a different types of gameplay and LFS leagues not seen before.

Hehe I am a little slow on reading these....

You asking for something like what they made for NFSU2?

I think it would be a cool idea, but have locks on it so servers and leagues can prevent them from being used. I know I would not like to see them in use while in a race. I enjoy racing. I like the fact that everyone is driving exactly the same car. That way I know exactly where I suck at and need work as a driver. I don't want to not be able to compete just because I suck at getting a good engine setup too

But for the drag/drifting communities I think it would be good for them to have something to make their enjoyment better. Like someone said before this is not just a certian type of car race sim, this has everything. Who knows maybe if there is a big enough crowd they could make drift tracks =)

*edit* Read some more around the forum.... anyone feel like making a mod for this? =P Tweak had the idea for someone asking about a "points system" for drifting. I think this falls along the same line, IMO Maybe that would change if there was a significant number of racers wanting this. I have only seen one or two drift servers, there is always people on them though =P
I would hate it. Cause you always have a kind of the best setup for the engine, so the 'new ones' will drive bad. And the rest, which will have all the same engine setup, (just like normals setups, cause there IS a fastest setup) so actually I think it wouldn't help LFS.(big dot )
Why do ya'll compair it NFS Underground? or NFS Most wanted? when there is 2 games on Xbox and Ps2 called... Grand Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport...they BOTH are 2 very good Simulation games that have performance parts and stylish look additions in the game....so why even compair those games performance parts for LFS to NFS...when NFS aint even a SIM, and really its not a bad idea if Grand Turismo 4 can pass with performace parts and still be a very fun simulator then so can LFS
hey deadx wazzup

anyway .. about this whole mod thingie.. i was thinking..
if mod features would be enabled online.. i think a new option should be created for lfs admins (that creates lfs servers)

option like : Allow Mod Parts (Yes/No)

so admin can decide wether they want to allow or disallow mod parts on their server
Quote from DeadX :Why do ya'll compair it NFS Underground? or NFS Most wanted? when there is 2 games on Xbox and Ps2 called... Grand Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport...they BOTH are 2 very good Simulation games that have performance parts and stylish look additions in the game....so why even compair those games performance parts for LFS to NFS...when NFS aint even a SIM, and really its not a bad idea if Grand Turismo 4 can pass with performace parts and still be a very fun simulator then so can LFS

GT4 are forza plus others are more on the fun side of things, enjoyable and straightforward games. The main point is in playability.

LFS is a sim that aims to present the racing experience as real as possible. The main point is in realism.

But let's not start this
yeh bro i know im on no ones side here, but what im saying is why are they compairing a NONE sim game with performace to a SIM game, and im saying lets say LFS does decide to add performace parts, well it whouldnt be any different and less realism in it then forza or GT4 is, and it wont make it less real then in real life...Track cars are modded right? there not stock? so why do we have to put up with stock cars and i know LFS focus's on Realism and ADDING performace parts WONT make it any less real then it is now.
would take quite some time for devs to create mod parts from scratch and reprogram lfs and stuff i think... its not like crowded EA only few good devs that created LFS...

maybe in LFS S6 who knows? hehe
Quote from DeadX :yeh bro i know im on no ones side here, but what im saying is why are they compairing a NONE sim game with performace to a SIM game, and im saying lets say LFS does decide to add performace parts, well it whouldnt be any different and less realism in it then forza or GT4 is, and it wont make it less real then in real life...Track cars are modded right? there not stock? so why do we have to put up with stock cars and i know LFS focus's on Realism and ADDING performace parts WONT make it any less real then it is now.

Reasons for not to: Everyone would end using the same best equipment. And the reason we have road cars is that they are meant to be road cars. Not tuned road cars. Also the majority of LFSsers don't want anyt stuff like wings and bodykits because they are just for looks. And look pretty horrible imho

Btw. Adding parts in Gran turismo isn't realistic as you can't just bolt on stuff in real life.
if we talk about parts.. it would be circuit racing parts (only wings tyres spoilers kits engine upgrades etc etc) like it is today on existing racing circuits..
not streetrace parts like NFSU etc..

it would work if the option i mentioned about the mod parts enabled/disabled exists for admins..

if people get smoked by high tuned racecircuit cars.. they can join a non-mod server..
and i agree with trackah123, having the ability to have that option whoudl be great, and well why whould they make a game were you whould really spend 5 hours installing a turbo =/ of course there not gonna get that real, its the physics part that real or as real as it gets. Forza Motorsport is a SIM, performace parts, and i go online after about almost 1 year its been out and theres STILL tones of people playing online. And everyone whould end up using the same parts, but people do that now when they find the best setup they use it, it whouldnt be any different if it had performace parts, but the thing is with performace parts

Once everyone has the best performace setup, then it will go back to depending on ratios, susp, tires, and all that so why whould be adding perforace parts really make a differance
Quote from DeadX :[SIZE=3]well why whould they make a game were you whould really spend 5 hours installing a turbo =/ of course there not gonna get that real, its the physics part that real or as real as it gets.

It's not about installing the turbo. It's about modelling the physics and the whole system for it. There are things like wear, heating, etc..to be modelled to make it right. There is no game/sim where this has been accomplished.

Quote from DeadX :[SIZE=3]Forza Motorsport is a SIM, performace parts, and i go online after about almost 1 year its been out and theres STILL tones of people playing online. And everyone whould end up using the same parts, but people do that now when they find the best setup they use it, it whouldnt be any different if it had performace parts, but the thing is with performace parts

Once everyone has the best performace setup, then it will go back to depending on ratios, susp, tires, and all that so why whould be adding perforace parts really make a differance
[/SIZE]

Forza is maybe a realistic console game in console terms. But I wouldn't call it a sim. Though I have never tried it. But adding performance parts aren't the thing in LFS. It's all about driving and physics.

I am trying to explain to you that people don't want performance parts in LFS as there is no purpose of having them.

EDIT: and if it was a system based on some kind of virtual money, it would just make the newbies slower, thus making the learning curve even more harder.
i can understand people dont want parts in LFS.. but i dont really agree about the fact that parts dont have a purpose.. in contrary.. it all has to do with aerodynamics and downforce as well..

maybe people dont want engine tuning parts.. but same power.. different tuned aerodynamics and downforce in the same car..
ok i dont care about adding performance also, but the thing is ya'll make it such a big deal when its not, and Forza Motorsport is a sim otherwise it whouldnt be under the category SIM. And yeh your right they havent made it as real as it gets in GT4 with wear and tear and heating but Forza Motorsport has...the engine will wear, so will the tires, and there is a gas feature but this isent about Forza, and if there making LFS so real then they whould add everything in life that you can do to a car why why not add performace. This isent about who wants what in any game or speaking of LFS. What if the creators do decide to add parts, what will you do then? you wont play because of performace parts...very stupid, either way LFS will be a great game, its the best i have played on PC so why stop playing because of 1 thing if they add that feature that trackah123 is talking about with the admin choosing weither or not people can bring their modded cars into a room then there shouldnt be a problem.
well racing realism :

1.racing parts
2.cheering crowds and race-commentator person (thru megaphones)
3.voicechat communication in car directly to your pitlane team
Ok to sum all this up, basicly if you put it that way Hyperactive about all that wear and heat and crap, then apperarlty LFS aint as real as it gets then, there is no engine wear and heating when you crash glass dosent break, engine sounds dosent sound as good as it can be, the Flat 4 sounds more like a V8 then the v8 does a v8...i can go on and on. Maybe with this new patch some of that will be changed but for right now...no. Maybe there taking it slow and tryin to get every good real feature they can in, but right now its not as real and from what im hearing you say your talkin like LFS is as real as it gets and that adding performace parts will ruine it whitch is false...BAM IM DONE this was fun, peace out...i dont wanna talk about this anymore lol
well in my words.. lfs is realistic when it comes to physics.. aero. forces etc.. but i think it misses the rest of the realism options.. there is so much more that can be added in the game to make it more realistic..
Adding performance tuning parts won't make LFS any more fun - it just adds complexity, and drags in ricers who think they understand how cars work and behave. I don't see one single thing it would add to LFS. Setups are neccessary, as people have different driving styles, and the tracks require different setups. And whilst different tracks might need different tuning (but not much), it's not a driving style thing to anywhere near the same extent.

All you add is time, complexity and reduce the programming time for other things. Heat, engine damage, breaking glass and all these things WILL come eventually, but that doesn't mean tuning is required.

Besides, tuning is such a complicated process, much more so that car setup in many ways, that the vast vast majority of people wouldn't understand a thing.

P.S. Why can't you post in the same font size that everyone else uses? And why are paragraphs so alien to you?

Build your own Engine
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG