The online racing simulator
automatic ignition-off on road cars
as far as i know normal cars in real life don't turn themselves off after half a minute of idling. so whats the point of having that in the game?
I think the idea is that with the ignition off, the cars no longer have their 'physics' computed by the server and therefore save on server load and lag for users?

Pretty sure I read that somewhere.
hmm okay... that makes sense.
Quote from bandaid :I think the idea is that with the ignition off, the cars no longer have their 'physics' computed by the server and therefore save on server load and lag for users?

That's interesting. I wondered about the ignition cut too, since most of the time it just annoys me

On the other hand, if a car (with the ignition cut) is moved by another car the physics would still have to be computed?
My guess is that a car without a running engine would normally move slowly enough that posupdates are enough...if that makes any sense whatsoever.
#7 - hda
I think it's intended to make LFS green, saving fuel while idle
Quote from Ted Hung :as far as i know normal cars in real life don't turn themselves off after half a minute of idling. so whats the point of having that in the game?

I'm told it's to save physics calculations for people's PC and the server. It only comes into effect if you don't make any keyboard or wheel/pedal/shifter inputs, so if you're just sat there typing it won't (I don't think, anyway)

Never really bothers me so I don't care much for it.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm told it's to save physics calculations for people's PC and the server. It only comes into effect if you don't make any keyboard or wheel/pedal/shifter inputs, so if you're just sat there typing it won't (I don't think, anyway)

Never really bothers me so I don't care much for it.

I think it does cut the ignition if you're standing still on the track while typing long enough. But yeah, doesn't bother me either
I suppose if we wanted to dig for what is realistic about it we could pretend the it so the turbos in the cars cool down before they stop. I had to do this in my old Talon TSI (eclipse GSX) for at least one minute before turning it off. Was good for the bearings or something. I've seen some cars that have a after market ignitions that does it after a few minutes. Though, only some cars have turbos in LFS......

Not serious...btw
Quote from Dionos :On the other hand, if a car (with the ignition cut) is moved by another car the physics would still have to be computed?

When Scawen implemented this that was a bug, but he solved it during the test patches phase.
Why not just have the car leave the pits with engine off anyway? Saves physics calcs if someone just sits there from the outset of leaving the pits and it's more realistic.

Yeah yeah...I know...been suggested before.
Because the engine is supposedly already warmed up

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG