The online racing simulator
Subwoofer for home theater
(19 posts, started )
Right, I'm looking for something to increase bass in my speaker setup (no, not trying to cram over 9000 subwoofers into a Ford Fiesta ) for my PC, which I use for music, gaming and movies. Attached are my current speakers, in quadrophonic setup (big black ones are front, grey ones are rear), but they're missing a good kick. For games, music and movies, I reckon it needs more bass, and not just turning up the equaliser, but to have physical bass. I've been looking at getting ready-to-go stuff off Ebay, but it's all €200-500, which I have no intentions of spending. My max budget for this would be €50, everything included, but with the current €-£ exchange rates now is as good a time as ever.

I was thinking of getting a subwoofer for a car, like this or this (I'm not up on these, so I don't know what size, wattage or anything is best), and mounting it in a timber frame. But I don't know how to power it or how to plug it in to the PC. I have no problem doing wiring and whatever, but I can't do complex circuitry...

Has anyone any experience of this, or any advice? I stress I'm not looking for HUGE bass to shake the room, but just something to make it more noticeable (Although as an added bonus I should be able to crank it up and piss off the neighbours ). I also looked at the chair-mounted ones, but I need it to work throughout the room.
Attached images
30112008160.jpg
30112008162.jpg
Logitech Z3-e? Perfectly suitable for PC and console use. I like them very much. (It's a 2.1 system with a good bass unit)
Generally, you get what you pay for with speakers. IF you were to go down the car subwoofer route (I suggest you don't) you'll have to amp them somehow.
My brother has a Pioneer Competition Series Subwoofer in his room. Sound great, he made a box for it, has a amp etc. He connects it with an old mobo and PSU.
Hmm, car route sounds awkward and expensive, don't fancy rigging up an amp or another half PC

I do like the look of the Z3's, and they seem to be close enough to my budget. I'll have to have a look around for em after Christmas, can't seem to find em online on any normal site other than Amazon, which doesn't ship to Ireland
Thanks, I only searched the usual sites (Aww, it doesn't have beech trim :weeping
Try PC world as well, they're 'old hat' now, but might still have them. I picked mine up from them last year for like £40!
If you want to spend some extra money there is MTX Jackhammer
Quote from floodan :If you want to spend some extra money there is MTX Jackhammer

Hahaha, i really lol'd at the Pimp my Ride episode I think that thing has a nice 'punch'. I'm not sure if the average parent would like it . Back to topic,

I don't know what you really want; something Jackhammer-ish, or a alot less like the logitech things.
Quote from Bose321 :I don't know what you really want; something Jackhammer-ish, or a alot less like the logitech things.

Something that gives out a good bit of deep bass, not enough to rock the whole house, but enough to be felt at a reasonable sound level. I'm not sure how to explain it really, but something that gives the current setup a bit of kick
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Right, I'm looking for something to increase bass in my speaker setup (no, not trying to cram over 9000 subwoofers into a Ford Fiesta ) for my PC, which I use for music, gaming and movies. Attached are my current speakers, in quadrophonic setup (big black ones are front, grey ones are rear), but they're missing a good kick. For games, music and movies, I reckon it needs more bass, and not just turning up the equaliser, but to have physical bass. I've been looking at getting ready-to-go stuff off Ebay, but it's all €200-500, which I have no intentions of spending. My max budget for this would be €50, everything included, but with the current €-£ exchange rates now is as good a time as ever.

I was thinking of getting a subwoofer for a car, like this or this (I'm not up on these, so I don't know what size, wattage or anything is best), and mounting it in a timber frame. But I don't know how to power it or how to plug it in to the PC. I have no problem doing wiring and whatever, but I can't do complex circuitry...

Has anyone any experience of this, or any advice? I stress I'm not looking for HUGE bass to shake the room, but just something to make it more noticeable (Although as an added bonus I should be able to crank it up and piss off the neighbours ). I also looked at the chair-mounted ones, but I need it to work throughout the room.

Here you go m8 have a look on this website http://www.richersounds.com/pr ... ist&sgroup=SUBWOOFERS

Loads a good deals on there hope you find what your looking for
Quote from Billeh :Here you go m8 have a look on this website http://www.richersounds.com/pr ... ist&sgroup=SUBWOOFERS

Agreed, for cheap hifi, they're the place to go. It's a slippery slope though, I've upgraded my way out of their product lines now though.

My sub is the only thing I've got left from my shopping there, a Mordaunt Short MS9. Out of the OP's price range but keeps me happy as a my first sub. Extends the range of my standmounts so they sound like floorstanders, but without all the boom.
You should only need an amplifier that can output 40W RMS if you use a car (or any other passive) subwoofer. Depends on the sensitivity though. At 40W, if the subwoofer had a sensitivity of 80dB 1W/1m, then it would output 96 decibels at one meter. Half power, 20W, it would output a still very loud 93dB. Halve that again, 10W and it would output 90dB. You really don't need much wattage to drive a speaker to get decent sound. It's only anoyying chavs with 1000W RMS speakers.
Power is more important for dynamics than outright volume. Something that is important for a sub.
#16 - 5haz
You Chav.

You don't need more bass, what you need is more cowbell.
I just got my new setup for the PC a few hours ago and will start to set it up in a few minutes. The sub is an Argon sub 8, but it might not be in your price range either sadly. Still, I'll report back when I've set it all up anyway.

edit: After having fiddled with this stuff for a long while, knowing just about jack sh** about surround receivers and their setup, I've come to the conclusion that the sub rocks. It was the cheapest available at the store I bought it, but they have pretty high standards, so I thought I'd be in the clear. Which I was and I'm quite happy with my purchase. Later I might try connecting my old Cerwin Vega CV1215 as fronts if the receiver has the juice. If that doesn't blow back my hair and loosen my lungs, I don't believe in air pressure anymore. Yes shotglass, you read that right, I reject the laws of physics, if and when...
Quote from Bob Smith :Power is more important for dynamics than outright volume. Something that is important for a sub.

Yeah, to some extent. Like, you wouldn't want to have any less then about 75W going to a subwoofer. But 500W+ is just overkill for near-range speakers.
Bump!

Just picked up a Creative T3200 sub + satellites. The difference is amazing! Even at low levels, you can really make out the bass, without it dominating. And when it's turned up, it can be heard down the whole house, with no distortion even beside it! Haven't tried the satellites yet, but they look fairly small and I don't have anywhere to put them

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG