The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :True. You got me there.

Yh i knew that. Anyway just look at the Finnish driving test. It looks so fun.
Quote from pb32000 :Thing is on English roads I bet you can as much fun with 100bhp as you can with 400 on American roads. (Yes I know, massive generalisation).

That is about 90% true. Most roads here are open with only fast turns, but there are some roads that have all sorts of tight turns. But thats here in Ohio, its better out west.
Quote from Jakg :
EDIT - He hasn't even LOOKED at his exhaust yet. Just made a dodgy "thunk" noise while driving away from my GF's the other night (in perhaps the most pot-holed road i've ever seen) which it's been doing a lot recently, and no-one will be using "my" car until at least Thursday when my Mum's insurance expires on it (so I can be insured on it).

Have you got a pair of axle stands and a trolley jack? If not get some and just find and no doubt easily fix the issue yourself.

Quote from sam93 :They really need to sort out the price for small cars though. 2001 1.2 SXI Corsa, fully comp, my best quote was £2.3k It is stupid.

Corsas are bought by brain dead idiots who then like to slap ridiculous bodykits on them under the illusion that they have created a performance car and that they can drive. Unfortunatley these tools tend to be the types who claim on insurance a lot when they run out of talent, therefore a young driver will struggle to insure a Corsa/106/Saxo/C2 because they are statistically far more likely to be driven by pillocks. To avoid high premiums go and get something unusual and avoid both high purchase costs and insurance, I did this by going and getting a Lada, purchase cost £350, insurance (with no NCB) £450. If you had gone to the insurance company and asked to insure a 1500cc RWD car with 5 link rear suspension they would probably have considered it far high a risk than a front wheel drive car, and it is IMO a lot more of a car and far more fun than the typical FWD car. Thing is though I doubt many young drivers have made big claims in 1994 Lada Riva estates so it comes up as being low risk and the insurance is suitably priced.

Quote from ssm :Oh, okay, but the thing is, I just looked up the weight of the e30 M3... it is ridiculously heavy...

An E30 is a far better drivers car than an Accord anyday, despite being quite heavy they have got chassis balance and steering feel sorted which makes them far better road cars, not so good necessarily in standard form on the track though.

Quote from sam93 :There is nothing wrong with "British reliability" Our cars are better than yank crap anyway.

Sorry? Have you never seen a product of the British car industry?
Quote from ajp71 :
Corsas are bought by brain dead idiots who then like to slap ridiculous bodykits on them under the illusion that they have created a performance car and that they can drive...blah blah blah in a very stereotypical and completly chidlish manner

Sorry to break it, but I've seen many older and mature drivers with Corsas. They are genuinly good little cars. Like my Dad, for example. (http://cdn.perrys.co.uk/d/used-photos/large/Y/S/YS04RVV.jpg but in silver)

He has max no claims on his car (and his bike) insurance and he most certainly can drive, and he's always safe. So straight away your statement is wrong. Wonder what the neighbour with her 1.2 comfort thinks as well.

Keep the stereotypes out of an otherwise decent thread.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Sorry to break it, but I've seen many older and mature drivers with Corsas. They are genuinly good little cars. Like my Dad, for example. (http://cdn.perrys.co.uk/d/used-photos/large/Y/S/YS04RVV.jpg but in silver)

He has max no claims on his car (and his bike) insurance and he most certainly can drive, and he's always safe. So straight away your statement is wrong. Wonder what the neighbour with her 1.2 comfort thinks as well.

Although it was a generalisation you missed the point. He was explaining why the insurance for certain small cars, for certain people is so high when really it should be low.
No I didn't miss the point. I get that insurance for some small cars is really high, but his quite blatant generalization towards not only many sensible and safe young Corsa drivers, but the more mature ones as well is a bit... stupid/bad example?

Maybe it's jelousy. I'm sure if someone offered AJP a Corsa he'd jump at it. Unless he's grown attached to his Lada.
The quote he was answering was regarding a Corsa. It's not like that car was picked on out of the blue, others are mentioned in the same light as that.

I agree with what he said it’s unfortunate that a minority give a certain type of car a reputation.

For example, where I live 3 people were recently killed by a young and extremely stupid Corsa driver (himself, his passenger and a young girl in the car he hit) as well as causing the mother of the girl who died to loose both feet.

His friends then drove around for a few weeks with stickers in the back windows saying "living the dream"....they were then later arrested because they were all racing home and helped cause the accident, all drove Corsa's or Saxo's.
Solution. Buy a Kia. What boy racer would be seen dead in a kia picanto
Quote from Luke.S :Solution. Buy a Kia. What boy racer would be seen dead in a kia picanto

Buy a Proton! No-one young has them so the insurance must be lo-. wait. crap
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Sorry to break it, but I've seen many older and mature drivers with Corsas. They are genuinly good little cars. Like my Dad, for example. (http://cdn.perrys.co.uk/d/used-photos/large/Y/S/YS04RVV.jpg but in silver)

You totally missed the point. Middle aged drivers will not effect the insurance premiums of a Corsa for a 17 year old. It is what others in the same age group that effects your insurance and unfortunately most of the cars involved in big claims are by stereotypical Corsa drivers, the stereotypical drivers effect your insurance premium and the statistics that influence them so you can't just say keep the stereotypes out. Thinking about it all the people I've know who have written cars off, sadly with cases involving serious injury and fatalities have almost exclusively been driving 106s, Corsas and Astras. Nearly all the incidents involving a sudden lack of talent with the young driver driving like a typical stereotypical idiot and entirely at fault, and it is really quite scary just how many young drivers and those unfortunate enough to be in close proximity of them get into big accidents.
Quote from ajp71 :You totally missed the point. Middle aged drivers will not effect the insurance premiums of a Corsa for a 17 year old. It is what others in the same age group that effects your insurance and unfortunately most of the cars involved in big claims are by stereotypical Corsa drivers, the stereotypical drivers effect your insurance premium and the statistics that influence them so you can't just say keep the stereotypes out. Thinking about it all the people I've know who have written cars off, sadly with cases involving serious injury and fatalities have almost exclusively been driving 106s, Corsas and Astras. Nearly all the incidents involving a sudden lack of talent with the young driver driving like a typical stereotypical idiot and entirely at fault, and it is really quite scary just how many young drivers and those unfortunate enough to be in close proximity of them get into big accidents.

Funny you mention that because the cheapest deal on insureance most young drivers can get, is with a 1L Corsa..
#537 - ssm
Quote from speed1 :I'm a young driver of around your age, and I hate it to. I personally think its not a great idea to give someone with fairly limited driving exp. a fast small nimble, RWD car. So many things to go wrong. Personally, I want to get myself a scooby or an older quattro (if I could afford insurance, I'd love a bimmer). But I'll probably end up driving a CR-V. But at least its a 5 speed and can drift like a true AWD car in the snow/ice (as I found out during a recent ice storm). But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Mmmm... I never said that my Miata is a monster Miata... I never modified the engine... the engine is still the same old 1.6 pumping out about 80 horses... I only upgraded the brake pads to ceramic.

Well, since the last time I posted, there has been several snow storms here in Washington recently, blame global warming.. It has been impossible to drive...

I got my Dad's Lexus ES stuck at the bottom of my neighborhood... and yesterday I got my Mom's Volvo stuck in a ditch... but I got it out by digging. I ended up going to a dinner party last night with my friend, I got to drive my friend's 1993 Jetta TDi. I thought VW diesels were supposed to be very torquey, It seriously lacked power.

Oh, well, Merry Christmas to you all! Have a great holiday, I am going to be hanging out with my family and relatives now.

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG