The online racing simulator
VW Scirocco postponed
(607 posts, closed, started )
Half of you would suck at game testers...'omg it's not finish i quit'

Give everyone a break and say yay there fixxing something thats wrong instead of giving it to us broken and dead.
"If you give a release date and dont release said product on that day, people will be upset. If you dont give a release date and surprise them, they will be happy"

- John Tag
Express Motorsports

This quote came from a discussion about a new motor that is being released for RC racing (Trinity Pulse) that had to be postponed due to a few small issues that needed to be sorted out before the official release. It's basically the same thing that we are experiencing now. Those who are looking forward to the release are being patient and looking on the bright side. Those who just want something new are finding something to complain about...
Quote from unseen :Not an easy reply, I know, but I`m just wondering why announce it when it wasn`t 100% sure of a release.

If you`re reading this Scawen, you normally only announce releases when something is guaranteed, so why the public announcement and subsequent cancellation?

Even those of us that aren`t playing LFS atm know you are constantly working on it with your own schedule, and development isn`t going to just die all of a sudden without some sort of official statement, so why make the statement and cancel afterwards? It just seems like a radical departure from the norm.

I know everyone likes a patch or expects some sort of gift at xmas, but there was no need at all to announce it if it couldn`t be released. It`s your project, and no amount of whining is going to force a release of anything.

Was it just wishful thinking to release something to us all for xmas, or are you starting to feel overly stressed about the perceived lack of visible public progress, and felt you needed to announce something prematurely to keep people happy?

Unseen, by the looks of things, Scawen ran into some unexpected bugs that he had to fix, ranging from minor graphical bugs, all the way up to LFS crashing. I think that if Scawen was able to keep to his initial timeline (before bug fixes), he would have been able to release a Scirocco for X-Mas that was up to his standards, and then refine it in the following patches (Suspension, etc). However now that he did get delayed, we're going to (assumed) get a more complete implementation of the VW, in way of a better suspension model and refinement of the stability systems.
-
(Mikko1) DELETED by Bob Smith
Quote from unseen :Not an easy reply, I know, but I`m just wondering why announce it when it wasn`t 100% sure of a release.

If you`re reading this Scawen, you normally only announce releases when something is guaranteed, so why the public announcement and subsequent cancellation?

Even those of us that aren`t playing LFS atm know you are constantly working on it with your own schedule, and development isn`t going to just die all of a sudden without some sort of official statement, so why make the statement and cancel afterwards? It just seems like a radical departure from the norm.

I know everyone likes a patch or expects some sort of gift at xmas, but there was no need at all to announce it if it couldn`t be released. It`s your project, and no amount of whining is going to force a release of anything.

Was it just wishful thinking to release something to us all for xmas, or are you starting to feel overly stressed about the perceived lack of visible public progress, and felt you needed to announce something prematurely to keep people happy?

I think it is partly because between the announcement and the probable release dates, some unexpected bugs came up, so I think it's not a whim from their part.

Don't you, though, like the fact that basically, we know what they are working on? Plus, Scawen clearly stated, "the next patch [hear the patch that was supposed to come out before Friday 19th] was not representative of all the work done since patch Z". Imagine that all of the features they worked on that were finished at 70% could not be integrated in 0.6A. Then it is clearly understandable that they finally changed their minds and said : "All right, let's work bloody hard for one more month instead of losing times with the testpatches now".

Because it's true, launching a test patch makes them lose time in the development process. Instead of finishing started things, they have to focus one week or so by correcting the bugs of the version, and it's not possible for them to work on something else. So, let's hope that the next patch will make us come up with nice things, more than in the actual build of 0.6A
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Bob Smith
Tis funny this, if a game devoloper releases something with bugs in it, then people complain that they should of waited and fixed it..now when something was DUE to be released but has found bugs and has now started fixing it, some people still complain. Makes me wonder how Scawen - Eric - Victor feel when they read such comments, as its gotta sting a little bit. Dont rush fella's, tis the season to be jolly, so enjoy yourselfs.
good decision to delay the release till your happy with it rather than have LFS gain a reputation for being buggy

anyone who's complained that because they planned to release by xmas it means it should be released by xmas should remember that plans do go wrong.

perhaps they would also think a bit about the people who have lost or are about to loose their jobs this xmas because their company's plans didn't work out and gain a bit more perspective about life
Quote from So_VipeR_oS :Tis funny this, if a game devoloper releases something with bugs in it, then people complain that they should of waited and fixed it..now when something was DUE to be released but has found bugs and has now started fixing it, some people still complain.

Looks like they feel the same way you do, so they´ve resorted to not releasing anything for months and months at a time.
No worries, Scirocco is on the way
no te preocupes, tomate tu tiempo, total el parre esta practicando con el XFR
Quote from TAZ (!) :no te preocupes, tomate tu tiempo, total el parre esta practicando con el XFR

Please speak or try to speak English.
Quote from Kalev EST :Looks like they feel the same way you do, so they´ve resorted to not releasing anything for months and months at a time.

So you want something new every 1 or 2 months.

That's delusional, enemy.
-
(Turbo Dad) DELETED by Turbo Dad
Quote from TAZ (!) :no te preocupes, tomate tu tiempo, total el parre esta practicando con el XFR

This is an English langauge only forum, save for the Automovilismo Virtual section.
Quote from lovretta :Well, the car simulated in LFS isn't any sort of Scirocco Cup Car isn't it?
It's ordinary VW Scirocco which anyone can buy, and it doesn't have adjustable suspension.

But in real life, Any ordinary person can go buy an upgraded suspension kit to make the car lower and handle better..
Quote from Pearce :But in real life, Any ordinary person can go buy an upgraded suspension kit to make the car lower and handle better..

But in real life, you can't adjust that suspension kit endlessly
IMO with regards to this endless setup debate, prehaps 2version of the scirroco could be made available. A road going, limited setup options, version for the trackday VeeWubbyu fanboys who want to keep it real. (Nothing wrong with that, garanteed close racing.) and then a fully race prepared GT version with extensive (but prehaps not infinite) setup options. That way you get the best of both worlds, the experiance of driving the base model very fast and the enjoyment of pushing a design to it's envelope, (which I quite like doing). For me it's not the fact that the car is real, it's more the platform and design that that car brings that I can play around with a 'feel' the difference from say a similar horsepower rear wheel drive car. LFS is a simulation, and when it comes to simulations it's not necessarily the make, model or shape that your simulating but the concept behind it. Get that right and whatever you bolt on top will be perfect (almost).

I also just want to take this moment to say to the holy trinity that you guys are doing a great job with a great ethos behind it.

To all those naysayers and ubercritics out there;
A:There is such a thing as real life. It happens, it gets in the way, and it makes damn sure that nothing ever goes to plan.
B:I don't know of any other game, simulation or online community that has this level of contact with the developers. We are kept informed, we are asked our opinion and the responces to the community is palpable on so many levels within LFS. I get the impression that most of the whining is coming from the younger audience, the 'instant gratification' generation. Guys. Chill. It doesn't work that way.
C:If this was me designing and releasing LFS I think I would have given up years ago in the face of such criticism and in some cases open hostility. If you guys think you can do better, go and do it. If you know, like me, that you can't and just want to enjoy a progressive racing simulation with support and regular updates from the the devs then stick around and enjoy. Yes we've payed money. Yes, the devs have a certain obligation to fulfill having received our money. But how many poeple here have shelled out 40-50 quid, found they have brought an ill prepared and underdeveloped, overly hyped game that barely runs and has more bugs in it than my dustbin and just thrown it on the shelf never to touch it again. Do you get recompense from EA? or Microsoft? Do you get the same level of Community support from the big dev houses? I don't think so. LFS is the rare diamond in the coal field. Its the lone flower in a desolate waste land. Don't loose it. Cultivate it, support it. Suggest things, point out things, be helpful. But if your not happy, go somewhere else and stop trying to
destroy what so many of us cherish and love for not only the thrill of the race but the backstory as well.

Nuf Sed. Peace.
Yay!
It would be nice when there were 2 versions. The normal road vehicle and the GTR version (like the ones who won the 24h race on the Nürburgring).
Slicks, free setup option, more power
Quote from Black_Eagle :Yay!
It would be nice when there were 2 versions. The normal road vehicle and the GTR version (like the ones who won the 24h race on the Nürburgring).

The normal road vehicle with fixed setup and the GTR version with setup free
Quote from Funnybear :LFS is the rare diamond in the coal field. Its the lone flower in a desolate waste land. Don't loose it. Cultivate it, support it. Suggest things, point out things, be helpful. But if your not happy, go somewhere else and stop trying to destroy what so many of us cherish and love for not only the thrill of the race but the backstory as well.

wot he said
A GT version would take even more time, would bore us out after about 30 minutes and would not be needed.
Some of us like that sort of thing. You'll be racing it once people gave you a setup that was fast enough though wouldn't you.
Nice...
Quote from Black_Eagle :Yay!

Quote from Jadran :The normal road vehicle with fixed setup and the GTR version with setup free

C'mon, you guys think the LFS team will take another 1/2 of a year to do the 24h race version aswell?
Scawen and Co probrably read the 'Scirocco - Yawn' thread and are busy creating a 450hp DFV powered Silhouet version, just to shut certain people up.

You heard it here first.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :C'mon, you guys think the LFS team will take another 1/2 of a year to do the 24h race version aswell?

More like a year since Eric wont be able to copy the GTR version from plans and drafts as he did for the stock version. :spin:
This thread is closed

VW Scirocco postponed
(607 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG