The online racing simulator
Is the ps3 any good?
(76 posts, started )
I have both systems, and while i think that technically speaking, the PS3 is a far better device, i still prefer the xbox.

The PS3 is showing us all the things that they've missed to do right with the xbox. Simply look at the menu and configuration options of both systems. While the xbox supports quite some stuff, it's still limited. The PS3 on the other hand supports all kind of hardware, can be set up as a computer (linux) without any problems... blablabla. But the question is... do you really need that on a gaming console? I already have a computer which is perfectly fine. Why would i want another one?

On a console, i want to play games and watch movies (my xbox is my dvd player (and it does that very good in fact... with composite cables, you'll have a better image than many aftermarket players will offer)). The xbox can do both very well.

For me it's the same as it is for danowat... i can't put my finger on it, but the xbox feels better. I guess it's much depending on the actual "interface and system" of the consoles. Some people prefer a MAC over a PC for example. I don't think it has much to do with the actual performance of a console, it's more about the experience you get out of it, and if it suits your taste or not.

Anyway... to throw some more gas into the fire of the console war...

In many reviews you'll read about better colors on the xbox360. I don't have the same games on both systems, so i never had a direct comparison. However, i found that the all the games i have for the PS3, have indeed a little bit "washed out and lifeless colors" (with maybe the exception of GT5P).

EDIT: Things that i really love about the PS3 are...

- How quiet it is!
- Built in wireless adapter.
- Built in blue-ray player.
- Logitech G25 support.
another advantage of the ps3 over the x box is ps3 will offer mouse and keyboard feature contrary to xbox
#28 - DeKo
ive got a PS3, but i only bought it because it was on the cheap. Doesnt really bother me, i prefer the PS because i like the controller, i like the blu-ray and i like the general setup of it all, but i cant see a difference in graphics, who gives a fuck what it looks like and the noise difference is hardly a lot.

i like the XMB thing on the PS far more than i liked the old Xbox interface, but ive not played about with the new one so it might be better, no idea. If i had an Xbox i would never pay for live because i would hardly use it, but to be able to go on every now and again on the PS for free is handy. the re-charging of controllers on the PS is handy aswell, but buying a couple of rechargeable batteries isnt exactly a big thing.

also, the internet browser is mega handy on the PS, the chance to go onto any legally questionable movie site and watch any film i fancy at that particular time is very handy, fair enough i could just as easily hook up a VGA cable from my PC, but its a handy feature to have. Most of the time if theres nothing on tele i put on family guy or something on the PS3 browser, comes in majorly handy. however, i dont actually know if the NXE has a browser, so this point could be useless.
The installing thing on the PS3 gets quite annoying though.

Both consoles have their pros and cons.
When the PS3 is used to it's full potential the graphics do look better. Just take a look at GT5. The graphics for most games look similar on the xbox and playstation because they are multiplatform.
The PS3 a pretty heavy up front investment but it works out cheaper when compared to the XBOX360 as the online is free. The system it's self works very well in a multimedia connected environment and works very well off the wireless network setup in my house and I can stream DIVX videos (Mainly Top Gear) and MP3s with no problems. Copying the videos to your PS3 hard drive gives you much more advanced options so that you can change the icon of the video and show you a 15 second preview of the video, that's pretty awesome and some game allows you to play the MP3s download to your PS3s hard drive while in game.
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to get people's opinions before you decided on what you wanted, especially at this point in the year? If you've already made up your mind, what good is a load of people going "no it sucks" going to do you?

I really like my PS3. Only got it a few weeks ago and still only have 2 games, but that's only because I already have a load of multi-format titles for the 360.

The installation thing can be a pain, but it doesn't take long and the improvements in load time is pretty good. The XMB isn't laid out too well (why it doesn't default to the game section is anyone's guess), but once you get used to it that's not so bad.

But it's only going to get better as more developers start to get used to programming for Cell instead of standard CPUs.

And R34king is an idiot. It'll be a couple of years until the PS4 is even announced, let alone when it's going to come out. It wasn't that long ago Sony were claiming a 10-year lifespan for the console, and while I don't think that'll happen, it'll be more than three.
#33 - ssm
Quote from mutt107 :its free to play right now it might become pay to play sometime. but i prefer the 360 it never lags online or anything. just make sure you buy a inter cooler to keep it cool

Mmmmm... Do you mean radiator? an intercooler cools down the air in an FI system... not exactly cool down the core component itself..

Btw, if you think you want to get the PS3 for GT5... GT5 doesn't live up to it's name, not worth it, you will get bored very quickly.
GT5P doesn't have that much to do, and some of the events feel a little repetitive. I guess that's what you get from a demo, right enough.
But it does keep getting (free) updates and it does have a decent multiplayer setup.

It's not a system seller the way MGS4 or LBP are though. I'm currently waiting for KZ2 since it's getting a lot of good press.
Quote from ssm :Mmmmm... Do you mean radiator? an intercooler cools down the air in an FI system... not exactly cool down the core component itself..

Btw, if you think you want to get the PS3 for GT5... GT5 doesn't live up to it's name, not worth it, you will get bored very quickly.

It's just a glorified demo. I highly doubt you have played the full version as it hasn't been released or even officially announced when it will be released. Wait until you try the full game before judging it.
Quote from obsolum :The "exclusive ps3 games" argument is not valid IMO, as there are games that come out exclusively on the Xbox 360 as well.

Well, honestly, there's like 10 exclusive PS3 games that are worth bying the PS3 just for one of them, and there are like 2 games on the the 360..

Quote from obsolum :Also, what are these "awesome psn games", pray? Are they full fledged games of several gigabytes, or rather smaller "arcade" games that you can play with other people online? Because the Xbox360 has those as well I also don't know what the size limitation for the Xbox360 is, but I reckon it's big enough as I've downloaded game demo's that were 1 to 2 GB

Don't take my word for it, check it yourself, there's some limitation that you can't see bigger games on XBL, like Wipeout or GT5p etc...
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, honestly, there's like 10 exclusive PS3 games that are worth bying the PS3 just for one of them.

Which ones?, I can't think of any that are currently out, please don't say Metal gear, which is Konami's long slow wank to the solid snake lovers, and please don't say LBP, which is as empty a "game" as you can get.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, honestly, there's like 10 exclusive PS3 games that are worth bying the PS3 just for one of them, and there are like 2 games on the the 360..

Can you name a few please?

- GT5P
- LBP
- what else?
There's not that many I'm particularly bothered about just yet, but there's a few on the horizon that I'm watching. As Sony said a while ago, and I impied with my previous comment - you're buying potential. As people learn to program for it, more developers (and therefor games) will come.

LBP is far from empty; it's an ingenious piece of work, not only in the story levels but in the stuff you can create yourself (if you have the imagination and time). This was the game that made me want a PS3.

GT5P isn't a system seller, although the full one might be when it eventually comes out.

I've never played any MGS games other than the demo of #1, and I wasn't at all impressed with the MGS4 demo either. System seller for series fans only.

All of these arguments are moot anyway - what difference does it make what exclusives a format has? You can get Orange Box, CoD4, GTA4, etc for both, so no matter which you get you have access to those games. All of the "wah wah, you need exclusives to make a console worth it" morons need to get out more. My 360 mostly plays CoD4, so I could just as easily spend that number of hours playing the PS3 or PC versions.

And I can't think of 10 exclusive 360 system-sellers either.
Quote from danowat :Which ones?, I can't think of any that are currently out, please don't say Metal gear, which is Konami's long slow wank to the solid snake lovers, and please don't say LBP, which is as empty a "game" as you can get.

LBP "empty" ? It's brilliant, like platformers heaven.. Playe it with some people, the fun multiplies, so much better then playing alone...

As for which ones, well... Uncharted, LBP, MGS4, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicless...and the ones yet to come, like Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, God of War 3, GT5 (full version), Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy VS XIII, new game from Team ICO (Shadow of the Collosus, ICO), etc, all games that you can consider as system sellers...
It just has much better feature, with things like Home etc..
I just don't "get" LBP.....

The only one you list that I see as a system seller is GT5, and thats a way away yet.

I do agree Home will be a system seller for the PS3, when you can actually get on it, you can see it's got a lot of potential.

I am lucky, I have both, so I get the best of both worlds, but I will always choose the xbox360 over the PS3 for multi-format games.
Resistance Fall of Man 2.
Why do sony spend millions to develop PS4??? They can just add 3 more cell cpus and a rsx, a bit more ram to make a new playstation...Isn't it the main idea of cell cpu's???
Quote from Dygear :The PS3 a pretty heavy up front investment but it works out cheaper when compared to the XBOX360 as the online is free.

I guess... The price difference in the UK seems to be around £100, which is 3 years of live subscription.

I've had my 360 for I guess about 6 months now, never had any problems with it whatsoever.
Quote from danowat :I just don't "get" LBP.....

What's not to get? It's a platformer with mechanical devices. You use different components to build your own machines. There's no deep and meaningful story or anything

Quote from danowat :I do agree Home will be a system seller for the PS3, when you can actually get on it, you can see it's got a lot of potential.

Now social networking, there's something I don't "get". I don't walk around talking to random people on the street, I don't want to do it in virtual form either.
I load my consoles to play games, so the longer it takes for me to get from 'On' to 'Playing' the more time I'm wasting.

The only thing I want to use Home for is the video streams of big events like E3, or having virtual versions of the expo to walk around - THAT would be cool.

I had problems connecting over the weekend, but most of the time since the beta went open it's been fine. I've played a couple of games of pool and wandered around looking at the Square, but even if they added a dozen more activities it still wouldn't be a system seller for me.

I'll be torn for future multi-platform games though. If I'd known I was gonna get a PS3 I'd have waited to get GTA4 for that, because I think it would benefit from the extra pedestrians and traffic. But obviously there seems to be a lag issue for some FPS developers with PS3 ports. I guess that's what reviews are for
Quote from danowat :I just don't "get" LBP.....

The only one you list that I see as a system seller is GT5, and thats a way away yet.

Not meaning system sellers like all of those will sell 2 million consoles each, more like, all of those games are/will be awesome and considered worth buying a PS3 for, IMO... while i don't see any of those on 360, maybe Fable 2... maybe..
I'm not sure if this is true or not, my friend told me this. Apparently the games out for the PS3 aren't even using the PS3's full performance because of the game developers not being used to the system or something? So technically the games for PS3 could become even better in terms of graphics as time goes on? Can someone tell me whether this is true or not?
They definately will get better. It may be even more the case for the PS3, but it has been like that with all consoles. Just look back at how the early games for the xbox360 (or xbox, ps2, ps1, dreamcast, gamecube, you name it) looked and how they look now.
#49 - Vain
The Xbox's growing potential is limited though. The architecture is pretty standard for any PC developer. You just know what x86 processors do well and what they don't do well. Switching your mindset to cell processors and even several of them will take a couple of years of experience however.

Generally I found this discussion extremely interesting so far. Keep it up.

Vain
Is the 360 x86 though?

Is the ps3 any good?
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG