The online racing simulator
Games Piracy
(47 posts, started )
It's the 1% rule, 99% of the customers will be legitimate and honest, so to treat that 99% as if they are potential thief's for the sake of trying to stop the 1% of people that are, is crazy, and it will lose you sales and brand loyalty.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I can afford it, I just think we deserve a decent test drive before we buy it, something a Ferrari dealership will offer you.

If you can provide some kind of "proof" that you will be able to actually buy it after the testdrive, if you still want it then... then yes, they might offer that.
The thing is that nowadays pirating is not only the cheapest solution, its often the best, fastest, easiest and most ad-free way of getting the stuff you want. Atm software companies and music labels can't compete with that, so there will always be a large amount of people choosing the easiest option, pirating.

In a way rapidshare, bittorrent and filesharing are all competitors to traditional retail methods, so if they want people who pirate to start buying, they are going to have to come up with something as appealing, because everything else they have been trying thus far has had no effect.

For example, if I download a fairly cheap indie game as a demo, and I like it, and can then pay through paypal to unlock the full game with little hassle, I will
Quote :so if they want people who pirate to start buying, they are going to have to come up with something as appealing, because everything else they have been trying thus far has had no effect.

To compete with pirates, games companies will need to start posting their games out to you for free, wrapped nicely in ribbon with a block of Cadbury's chocolate thrown in for good measure.
Well... Piracy is a problem for companies, but treating the normal customer like a thief is not going to change it.

You buy a new DVD and whats the first thing you get when you put it into? A minute long (no skipable) trailer saying that piracy is bad and you'll get straight ahead to jail. Not a "thank you for buying this product". And it gets worse with games and all the different kinds of copy protections messing and blocking the pc. The Downloader doesn't have that problems, he gets straight to the movie and no safedisc (or similar) bullshit.

Next thing is that most of the PC games are just hacked together by some monkeys with more bugs in it than lines of code. Then the games get max. 3 patches which solve maybe the half of the problems and a message that due piracy (insert laugh here) the game is not longer developed (Crysis for example). Would you buy anything from that company again?

I do buy a lot of music and dvd stuff, but mostly stuff that is years old and comes with a normal price, but when I can't even play that stuff on my pc I'm asking myself why...
Quote from Electrik Kar :To compete with pirates, games companies will need to start posting their games out to you for free, wrapped nicely in ribbon with a block of Cadbury's chocolate thrown in for good measure.

Actually, that's a good idea.

Honestly though, I think there should be an incentive for buyers rather than a not working means to keep pirates away. Now it's up to the game developers to create those benefits.

I for one don't care if I have to be online and logged in into an account for something (like steam) as long as I can install and play my game everywhere and as often as I like, so for me, extended online features (which doesn't necessarily mean multiplayer, but DLC, etc) are a reason for me o buy a game. Also, going back to the roots of gaming, where it was common to have a huge manual with backstories and various gimmicks like cloth maps, tin figurines etc, in the box would be an incentive to buy a game.

The motto shouldn't be "let's try to block piracy", but "let's try to make paying customers as happy as they can be".
too bad. I never liked prince of persia
Quote :patch that rendered the PC version of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 unusable saw Ubisoft releasing a no-CD crack, produced by a warez group, as an official fix

Lol ^.
I haven't pirated a game since the Amiga days, and even then only because I was given the copies for free. But this discussion doesn't really just apply to games does it?
It does feel dishonest (to me) to use something, whatever form it might "exist" in and however massive the corporation which sells it might be, without having legally acquired the right to do so. Nobody here would condone someone cracking LFS. I think that in many ways it's hypocritical to justify other "pirate" activities if on the other hand you condemn one.
Quote from RossUK :...............................For example, if I download a fairly cheap indie game as a demo, and I like it, and can then pay through paypal to unlock the full game with little hassle, I will

No idea where THAT scheme came from, I doubt if it would ever work in real life!

As for the pros and cons of piracy:
Pros for the software companies...
I recently BOUGHT Call of Duty WaW - preordered it even! because of the enjoyment I got from CoD4MW. I BOUGHT that because I did get the free extended demo version from a torrent site, enjoyed it, so was willing to pay for it. I did the same for GTA4 and UT3.
With the exception of UT3, I would NEVER have bought these games as I would not have known what to expect from them in the first place.
Therefore, thanks to piracy, they sold 3 games that they would never have sold in the first place...they win!

Pros for the buyer. (pirate):
I grabbed a copy of Dead Space from another torrent..played it for about 20 mins, then deleted the POS. Had I paid good money for it, I would have been most disappointed; especially as it is easier to get sense out of a politician than it is to get a refund out of Game.

IF the software producers want to put a halt to piracy, then the best way is to release product that is decent and as bugfree as possible, without banging it on the shelves whether its finished or not, just to meet deadlines (Take Note Mr Rockstar Toronto!!!), and to release it at a REASONABLE price. Rockstar spent $200,000 on a new super version of Securom for GTA 4 apparently.....the crack was released within days, and now has fewer problems than the legit release!!!

Maybe NOT forking out a fortune on useless anti piracy measures and investing instead in decent coders would give a better product that more people would be willing to buy... as stated earlier, its better to sell 1,000,000@£10 than to sell 20,000@£40
If these companies that make stupidly high profits decide to call me a potential criminal, instead of thanking me for buying their product, then I don't give a shit if I make a tiny dent in their profits by pirating their film instead of watching it at the cinema. When I bought LFS I wasn't forced to watch a film about how evil game piracy is, and I was not treated like an idiotic statistic that didn't know the law.

My opinion has always been that if you call an honest innocent person a criminal enough times, eventually they will stop paying extra to be honest and just resort to piracy. The way I see it, I am paying £15 to be called a potential criminal, when I could get the same thing for free and without the patronising talk on the evils of piracy.

I tell you what, instead of spending $200,000 on piracy software, they could spend that on marketing and make more sales. Even just a thank you message for buying the game would be nice, "We understand you can get this game for free elsewhere, and we thank you for supporting us by purchasing it legally and allowing us to keep on producing the products you enjoy".
Quote from Bladerunner :No idea where THAT scheme came from, I doubt if it would ever work in real life!

Well I have paid for several games that way (usually indie games like I said). It was a much easier and quicker way for me than going to the shops or using Steam.

It works for me
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If these companies that make stupidly high profits decide to call me a potential criminal, instead of thanking me for buying their product, then I don't give a shit if I make a tiny dent in their profits by pirating their film instead of watching it at the cinema. When I bought LFS I wasn't forced to watch a film about how evil game piracy is, and I was not treated like an idiotic statistic that didn't know the law.

My opinion has always been that if you call an honest innocent person a criminal enough times, eventually they will stop paying extra to be honest and just resort to piracy. The way I see it, I am paying £15 to be called a potential criminal, when I could get the same thing for free and without the patronising talk on the evils of piracy.

I tell you what, instead of spending $200,000 on piracy software, they could spend that on marketing and make more sales. Even just a thank you message for buying the game would be nice, "We understand you can get this game for free elsewhere, and we thank you for supporting us by purchasing it legally and allowing us to keep on producing the products you enjoy".

Haha, I agree so much with that lul!
I have only one pirated game, NFS U2. I have only 3 games, LFS, NFSU2 and CS 1.6.
Quote from RossUK :Well I have paid for several games that way (usually indie games like I said). It was a much easier and quicker way for me than going to the shops or using Steam.

It works for me

Spot the person who cant see sarcasm when it jumps up and bites him on the bum!!!!

How do think we got LFS??? (Me looks for smiley of Homer going: "DOH!")

You got me there. I forgot I brought LFS that way!
Quote from rc10racer :http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56328

too bad they watered down pop from utterly frustrating to something you can get right on your first try
still a great move from them... now if theyd also offer a drm free iso via paypal or creditcard itll be a viable alternative to the convenience of torrents (certainly not a coincidence that most of my latest purchases gp bikes, pa adventures 1 and 2 were of that kind... for an industry thats supposed to know their dmeogephic they managed to miss out on the geeks unlikelyness to go out of the house rather a lot)

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Even just a thank you message for buying the game would be nice, "We understand you can get this game for free elsewhere, and we thank you for supporting us by purchasing it legally and allowing us to keep on producing the products you enjoy".

not being bombared by 5 different unskippable intro commercials of the runs best on nvidia intel and whatever kind would help too
Quote from Shadowww :I have only one pirated game, NFS U2. I have only 3 games, LFS, NFSU2 and CS 1.6.

You forgot iRacing - You uploaded a torrent for that
Short premise: I haven't read the article from TweakGuides yet (I'll read it later though I don't like that site too much), and many of the sensible remarks so...

Quote from Electrik Kar :As the article points out, piracy is rife and is most definitely affecting the (PC) games industry in negative ways, which in turn of course affects gamers.

I find utterly ironic how the world seems to work in each and every of its small parts, those who are affected negatively by something are those that mostly can't do anything about it.

The others, who are not affected, have enough power and money to have something made to increase the amount of power of money they already have, even if they weren't damaged in the first place and their thirst and greed won't be quenched at all.

While doing this, they also manage to ruin some of the good things mankind has come up with over the painful course of history.

I'd like to see those lobbying bitches thrown out of the window exactly like the representatives of Ferdinand II when the 30 Years War was started. It wouldn't fix anything but at least it would be a pleasant sight
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You forgot iRacing - You uploaded a torrent for that

I deleted it from my pc after getting ~20 seeders

Games Piracy
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG