The online racing simulator
Steering Angle issue
(9 posts, started )
Steering Angle issue
Hey guys I have an issue I hope you can help me with. I will try to provide you with all the info I can. First I play on my laptop with a G25, I had all setting set up perfectly and played the game. However, when I disconnect the g25 from the laptop, my wheel angle seems to go haywire. I fixed it last time by fiddling with setting, but now I cannot do anything and its constantly off centre. All the g25 settings are set as told in the manual.

Typical night: drive a street based car set to 720 degrees. After 30 minutes move to open wheel car with 400-450 steering angle. Shutdown and take laptop away for the night. (On profiler it is set to game allows changes)... In the profiler settings window the lock to lock reads perfectly accurate but for some reason does not translate to game...

I come back, and when I try to go back to game, intially very small movements of G25 cause in game steering wheel to go lock to lock very quickly. So I play around and try to fix the steering angle, it is now constantly off centre. That is, when I have it set to 720 or 900 and the G25 is centered the in game steering wheel is between 45 degrees and 90 degrees to the left. So my dead centre in game is with the g25 almost 90 degrees to the right. Im not sure what the issue is and am gettting pretty frustrated. Help would be appreciated...
are you starting lfs before plugging the wheel back in? perhaps try plugging it in before starting your laptop...

not sure if that'll help, just an idea.
Some ideas for you to try,

Wheel limit calibration:
When you come back to game from restart, the wheel must re-calibrate itself, that is why small movements translate to large movement in game. The game has to in a re-learn where the limit of the wheel axes are evertime you restart. As you move the wheel further and further the game realises you have a wheel with more allowable degrees.
You can set this permamently - Set your profiler to 720 degrees. then use the options >> controls >> Axes/FF menu ingame and click recalibrate axes up the top right. Then once you've moved all axes (wheel + peddels) to limits, then click lock to save it.
(At least this is how I understand it - but with my system I can leave it on unlock and it still works fine, even when first starting the game. So maybe I don't understand this lock/unlock properly after all. It used to follow this functionality when I used a USB Dual axis Joypad.)

Wheel not centring:
Sometimes my wheel (G25) goes off centre after computer has been alseep. When this happens I either must reboot PC, or unplug G25 from USB and plug it back in an Windows recalibrates and sets the correct centre position. Also moving the wheel while windows account is locked sometimes messes up my wheel centre, requiring me to recalibrate wheel by unplugging/plugging back in G25 USB.

Quote :(On profiler it is set to game allows changes)...

by the way, LFS game cannot yet change G25 profiler settings so this option has no effect in regards to LFS.
I use more or less the same configuration (Laptop + G25) and I have found the following setup saves me from calibrating / changing profiler values:

Profiler set to 720
First time in LFS, calibrate and lock wheel settings.
Wheel turn compensation in LFS set to 1

Unplug wheel after each session, before shutting down the laptop.
1) Plug wheel after laptop boots - it calibrates in Windoze.
2) Start LFS

All cars in LFS now have a wheel rotation value as designed. Drawback: G25 now uses the FFB stops for cars <720°, that can* be overcome (FFB goes dead past that point)

*Usually not when racing, only in pits or getting back in the right direction... like after a spin
If you don't want to go through a lot of hassle, but a bit of hassle everytime you start up LFS:

- connect wheel
- start LFS
- turn wheel full lock to full lock
- your wheel is centered and ready to use.

This always happens to me when I plug in the wheel after I start up my laptop, that's why I leave it plugged in most of the time.
I don't think it's normally necessary to unplug G25 BEFORE shutdown and reconnect AFTER boot up. Something strange with your PC might require this, but I really think this problem is quite rare.

Mine's always connected.
I have a similar problem. After long stints of leaving my G25 pluged in, it will randomly calibrate off center when I start up my computer.

The easy fix for me was to just unplug and replug the wheel. It will then recalibrate at the propper center.

Also, the wheel, I assume, resets and i have to turn the wheel to max lock to reclibrate the wheel manually. As others have said leave the axis set to unlock.
Put the wheel on center, Unplug AC and USB, Wait 30 seconds reconnect and you should be okay.
Thanks for the quick replies gents. Will try all suggestions tonight. Trying to keep fresh in the winter season. Race car is in the garage and only will be autoxing her for a local slush series.

Steering Angle issue
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG