The online racing simulator
Monitor making noise?
(13 posts, started )
Monitor making noise?
I have a few year old Samsung SyncMaster 959nf CRT, which has been great. But now it has started to make this weird sound. It's like faint buzzing that seems to come up when the monitor has been on for a while. It also seems to change its tone after turning the monitor off and back on again. Could be something to do with heat as it's a bit warm at the moment too?

But the question. Is it normal or should I be worried the monitor stops working soon? It has never made any sound, and this buzzing is irritating me.
It's the sound of the inevitable death of the monitor.

Something in the inside is broken or about to break.
It's going to explode in your face. Hope you're wearing glasses...
Haha it won't explode. But the monitor is probably near it's end. Don't be surprized if it just turns off and won't come back on, or if you start smelling something melt. If either happen just unplug it, and start shopping for a new LCD monitor.
~Bryan~
#5 - need
As above, it's the noise of your monitor starting to fail.
It may take a while, but eventually it'll give a pop and stop working, or as in the case of my TV a few years back, give a loud bang, a bright flash and stop working while leaving a burn mark on the screen.
I'd start thinking about putting the money together for a new monitor. My guess is you'll get annoyed enough about the whining to go out and buy one before it actually goes pop though
I did with my last monitor, it's still up in my loft as a spare monitor for testing/setting up system's with when I don't need to be running them for very long.
have you got a right idea of the pitch ? its probably a faulty part on either the h or v deflection
i had a borrowed monitor from a friend while my fw900 was in intensive care that made noises for years already ... while it was with me the v delfection eventually died causing the top half of the picture to collapse into a single white line mid screen (shifting the monitor position actually helped so its probably just a cold soldering point ... an issue monitors are notorious for)
Well, the sound isn't that loud. It might be more of a case that my computer is silent so I can hear it. But it has been that silent long as I've had this monitor, so it's definitely making some sound. But it has gone away again.

I hope it's not going to fail me. My new computer parts arrive next week, and had to spend enough for those, and I want to save the rest of the money I've made this summer. :worried:

edit.

Shotglass posted while I was typ(o)ing.

What is h or v deflection?

edit2. I see, thanks for wiki.
concerning the deflection bit ... seeing as you didnt know what it was i suggest you dont try to repair it by yourself
crts arent exactly safe to repair if you dont know what youre dealing with
Quote from Shotglass :concerning the deflection bit ... seeing as you didnt know what it was i suggest you dont try to repair it by yourself
crts arent exactly safe to repair if you dont know what youre dealing with

Well, I got the idea that it has something to do with the electronic tube thing. But I don't usually go repairing electronics myself if they don't work. I would especially avoid monitors because I don't want burn the house down....never really got the hang of welding either you see.

But maybe I could over clock and possibly water cool it.

But thanks anyways guys. I hope it doesn't give up yet.
Weird screen. Was fine for 4-5 hours after firing up the thing, but now started whistling again. It went away yesterday and now it seems to change the loudness and tone too.

Got to put some music on I guess.
i used to have an old CRT that would make this high pitched squealing noise after being on for a while. i eventually found out that if i hit it a couple times it would usually stop for a couple more hours. so that's what i would do.
Ah yes, the American Way. If it doesn't work, hit it!

Aaayyyyy!
</fonzie>
I had the exact same monitor. After a while (some months) it started to give this low buzzing sound. There was no problems with the picture so I didn't take any action. Besides the sound was so low it didn't bother me. It has worked flawlesly after that for years, but I gave it away this summer for a new TFT. My father has it now and it's working fine.

Monitor making noise?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG