The online racing simulator
FAT32 Filesize limit...
(13 posts, started )
FAT32 Filesize limit...
Isn't the filesize limit on a FAT32 partition 4GB? Because I was capturing video from RACER unto a FAT32 partition, and the file was over 4GB, and I could not read it in any program. It would really suck if I had to compress it! My only other choice is to capture two different files, and then join them, and compress as a divx file.
#2 - Vain
Yep. Maximum file size for a FAT32 file is 2^32 = 4 294 967 296 = 4.00 GB

Vain
#3 - Smax
4.7 IIRC...but ffs get with the program and bin fat32 for NTFS
Doesn't AVI have a 2GB file limit itself anyway?
Quote from Smax :4.7 IIRC...but ffs get with the program and bin fat32 for NTFS

If I could find a 99% stable NTFS driver for linux, and I would... Or a ext.2 driver for windows.
Try the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) NTFS (NTFS FUSE) drivers. They allow stable write iirc. You can also mount NTFS as read-only in modern kernels.

Theres plenty of third party modules of ext2/3 in Windows though. I'll see if I can dig out the URL in a sec.
Edit: Ext2/3 Driver: http://www.fs-driver.org/
yup...fat32 has a 4g limit, and avi has a 2g limit.

you could give virtual dub a try. it can be used to work with avis larger than that file size...but it doesn't always work. its free, so its worth a try.
AVI has 2 GB file limit?

What are you talking about, I have hundreds of avis bigger than that.
From what I understand it's more a limitation of the driver/codec that reads the AVI, rather than the file format itself.

Some, particularly older programs, can't handle AVI files larger than 2GB.
#12 - Eggi
*.avi is just a container.
Nothing more or less.

+ Never heard / noticed a 2GB Filesizelimit by any Codecs (wmv9, Xvid, DivX, etc. etc. ...) and i had many many Files bigger then 2GB
+ programs hmm .. must be an Win95/98 StandardinstallationVersion
AVI does not have a 2 GB file size limit. However, many applications use the totally outdated "Video for Windows" architecture which only allows up to 2 GB in file size.

Solutions? Use a different container format, use different software, use segmented avi,...

FAT32 Filesize limit...
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG