The online racing simulator
Good ol' Aprilia RS125
(73 posts, started )
I can only assume you weigh less than 57 kilo's and shall be satisfied with no real power. An 250cc will save you money over the course of ownership and be more fun to ride or race.
I've only been riding for 40 years though so I'm too old to play with anything less than 1000cc.

My old ride. 99 VTR1000F

Current Ride. 04 FJR1300

Show us pictures when you get your new ride.
Quote from nmanley :I can only assume you weigh less than 57 kilo's and shall be satisfied with no real power. An 250cc will save you money over the course of ownership and be more fun to ride or race.
I've only been riding for 40 years though so I'm too old to play with anything less than 1000cc.

My old ride. 99 VTR1000F

Current Ride. 04 FJR1300

Show us pictures when you get your new ride.

Nice bikes

(Ty for the input Tristan o.o)

Unfortunatly the legal law requires that I am only able to ride up to 125Cc on the CBT licence, before I go about doing my big bike test.

Had a look at one today, it's the full power version (Makes around 30Bhp, I weigh like 185 lbs, should be fine...)the people who owned it seem nice enough, and it sounds ok, not overly rattly or anything - It's been down the road but the damage is pretty minor, just a (severely) scratched swingarm. Also needs a new rear tyre, it's overly worn (we suspect burnout abuse >_>), and it needs a service (It's had the first one, it's done basically 3000 miles, and the service light is on, but overall however it's nice, so I'm *hopefully* gunna have it by next weekend
I think I've fallen in love with the XR125L, brand new is ~£2,200 OTR, when not going through Honda, I am so going to get myself one.

But I have seen 50cc scooters hauling ass with two men on them and by seen I mean I was one of those men, at the time I was ~60KG, the other guy was ~70KG. Admittedly it is not quite the power seen on a 1l bike, but 125cc is plenty of punt.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I think I've fallen in love with the XR125L, brand new is ~£2,200 OTR, when not going through Honda, I am so going to get myself one.

But I have seen 50cc scooters hauling ass with two men on them and by seen I mean I was one of those men, at the time I was ~60KG, the other guy was ~70KG. Admittedly it is not quite the power seen on a 1l bike, but 125cc is plenty of punt.

Kinda not worth buying new, unless you plan on keeping it for 3 or so years, they depreciate alot and unless you're either very lucky or very experienced you'll almost certainly drop it
if keeping this bike would be a hobby, i think i should buy one. right now my all day go on computer
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Kinda not worth buying new, unless you plan on keeping it for 3 or so years, they depreciate alot and unless you're either very lucky or very experienced you'll almost certainly drop it

I expect to keep it until it costs too much to keep going or it dies as it'll be for commuting and the odd dash up the side up a muddy hill and because the XR is such a learner friendly bike more often than not it has been ragged by a previous owner.

I don't buy vehicles as an asset, they are a tool so depreciation doesn't bother me.
Ahh, fair enough then, hahaha. They're pretty rugged I hear if you look after them (goes without saying really)

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nice bikes

(Ty for the input Tristan o.o)

Unfortunatly the legal law requires that I am only able to ride up to 125Cc on the CBT licence, before I go about doing my big bike test.

AAhhh yes, sorry but I forget the governing by different countries. :sorry:

I assume they feel it's safer to hit something on a small motorcycle and less damaging than on a larger motorcycle but it's the body that suffers from the impact as the motorcycle does not feel a thing. 150km crash on a 125 must hurt as much as on a 1000.

Thank you for the compliment. Enjoy your riding but treat every driver in 4 wheels as if you are invisible to them, because you are! They always tell the police they never see you coming!
I have to add a big to danowat.

I had an RS125 for 2 years, and rode over 12000 miles on it. It never blew up. The only thing that did go wrong was the powervalve disconnected from the open/close mechanism. I took it to the dealer, they said "yep, manufacturing fault, free replacement".

Ran it on Putolene's finest, put sticky tyres on it, always made sure it had a temperature showing on the display (i.e. not "cold"), had great fun - including 400 mile round trips through the yorkshire dales.

There's plenty fun ahead, S14
Quote from Christofire :I have to add a big to danowat.

I had an RS125 for 2 years, and rode over 12000 miles on it. It never blew up. The only thing that did go wrong was the powervalve disconnected from the open/close mechanism. I took it to the dealer, they said "yep, manufacturing fault, free replacement".

Ran it on Putolene's finest, put sticky tyres on it, always made sure it had a temperature showing on the display (i.e. not "cold"), had great fun - including 400 mile round trips through the yorkshire dales.

There's plenty fun ahead, S14

That's reassuring to hear. By the way, was yours the ~1996 RS which the Rotrax 123 Engine, or the 1996~Present day Rotrax 122? (Heard the 123 was less reliable)

I would be running it on the Castrol 2T oil that you can buy in halfords or bike dealerships, it's around £12/liter. I'm assuming that this is good stuff for this bike? Better be since I haven't seen any others around haha

Was also thinking of replacing the 3000 mile old front tyre when I replace the rear, which does need changing (Currents are Dunlop D207's iirc, wanted Pirelli or Michellen, and can't mix different brands of tyres afaik), was thinking Pirelli Diablos or Michellen Pilot Sport 2's. The Pilot Sportys are what my dad has on his Tiger 1050, and he says they're great, and really grippy for normal to fast road use, and confidence inspiring in the wet, but 125~130 Bhp on his bike with such large tyres in comparison with the smaller tyres on the RS would affect this, possibly resulting in different performance?

What 'sticky' tyres did you put on yours, just out of curiosity?
#36 - Jakg
You can get Puntoline from any local bike shop (not Halfrauds) - It's where I get mine.
Anything fully synthetic in the 'prila will be good. Castrol, Putoline or Silkolene are probably the the best ones to go for.

Damn I love the smell of a two stroke thrashing past full whack, one of the nicest burning smells ever. Sorry, just thought i'd share that with you.
I have an Aprilia SX50 (super motard) and i never have any problems at all, and im always going full throttle. Only when you buy them new the tyres are garbage. Mine only has an racing exhaust and it does 105 km/ on GPS, pretty fast for a stock 50cc engine
I love how you have Dunlop decals and Pirelli tyres. It always cracks me up when I see that.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I love how you have Dunlop decals and Pirelli tyres. It always cracks me up when I see that.

Haha, I can agree. But the thing that looks more stupid, in my opinion, is the size 900 writing on the side of the tyre , rather than the more common, and in my opinion better looking slight 'rubber text' you get on most tyres. Probbably got the stickers free in a mag and slapped them on
Oh but he has sponsors on his bike, that means everyone needs to see the text on the tyres

I suppose the plus side is it'll look like he has whitewalls at speed.
It's a Tetsuya Harada replica, I didn't choose the 'sponsors' neither did I choose the tyres. None the less, I was young, stupid and didn't really care at the time. They looked alright when they were spinning round with the tyre paint stuff on.
Ive always wanted a go on a full power rs125 just to see how fast they really are
not bad
Treating it like that on a daily basis wouldn't be good for barrel nor piston+ring life.

Rerestricted can, I'm told, happily hit 15k miles without need for a rebuild as long as they're serviced and run on the right oil.

Full power ones need the rebuild at around 9k miles.

Thankfully a new cylinder/piston kit is only around £200 inc delivery, and if you're handy with a spanner, can easily be done in an afternoon.

I'll think I'll be sending mine to PJME, and get them to do it
Depends how long you are planning on keeping on a 125 for
If thats the case, considering your size, I'd suggest a Honda Varadero 125.

Not a sports bike, but a big (and they are big) 125cc v-twin trailie, would be a much more comfy to ride than both the prila and mito, plus it'll last a hell of a lot longer and would have a better resale value.

However, it's a pure head over heart decision, and you'll probably end up getting a prila or mito!!!!, but it's good to have options
Look into a 4-stroke, perhaps a 250.

IMO, the only reason to get a 2-stroke these days is if you're going to race, in which case you're better off with a purpose-built 125 or 250cc race machine.

Good ol' Aprilia RS125
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG