The online racing simulator
LFS music addon: high-bitrate version available?
Hello,

since LFS' music is very enjoyable, I would really like to add it to my game soundtrack collection - however, the tracks are encoded using an 124 to 174 kbit/s bitrate, so I would like to ask if there are 256kbit/s+ versions für the music addon and unbended mind.ogg from S1 available? The forum search didn't returned useful results.

Kind Regards

PS: An official LFS soundtrack on CDDA would be a nice addition to the shop!
I don't think so about the high bitrate ones, maybe Victor has it somewhere and he can cook up some OGGs from it.

A CD of the soundtrack would be pretty good (maybe as a double pack with LFS itself?). Interesting you mentioned Unbended Mind, that disappeared after S1. There's also a remix of 303 Forever available from one of Victor's demoscene profiles, don't remember the URL but I have it here. That would really be good for an intro video...
is your goal to use them inside LFS? If not then i could FLAC the originals if you'd want. Or just high bitrate mp3 .. or whatever really
though the addon pack is still missing the music Vic used in the scirocco video...
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
I vote for FLAC and then anyone can choose to transcode to whatever format they like/use
Downloading now *would buy Victor a pint but can't find dodgy ID*.
And those are free to commercial use?
If anyone needs ogg files then i can convert tracks from mp3 or wav to ogg if needed. I did that to get my current pits and setup music into LFS. I have this playing.
i like nostalgia, plus its the official national banger signature music so it had to be done
Anyone can with Audacity and the equally easily available LAME

It's semi-OT, but is there any chance of including the full soundtrack in the LFS Download itself, LFS has a better sound track that lots of racing titles - sims or varying places on the sim/arcade spectrum (Best original soundtrack by far).
-
To be honest, when using my headphones or PC speakers I don't notice that much of an improvement from 128kbps and anything higher. 64kbps is just a joke, but 128 is perfectly acceptable imo.
I notice the difference quite easily between 128 and 192. The difference of 192 to 256 is almost non-existant to me though.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be honest, when using my headphones or PC speakers I don't notice that much of an improvement from 128kbps and anything higher. 64kbps is just a joke, but 128 is perfectly acceptable imo.

Better headphones await you.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be honest, when using my headphones or PC speakers I don't notice that much of an improvement from 128kbps and anything higher. 64kbps is just a joke, but 128 is perfectly acceptable imo.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :I notice the difference quite easily between 128 and 192. The difference of 192 to 256 is almost non-existant to me though.

'Tis a shame how much quality you're missing out on. I can notice the difference between them quite easily. Of course, if you have cheap hardware you'll get cheap sound.
Cool stuff

Although I'd much prefer the MIDI data for that entry.ogg track so I could give it a big meaty makeover

*downloads all the zips*
If people have midi data/guitarpro data/bass guitar tabs for LFS stuff it would be nice, as I can annoy my neighbours with my non-existant bass/keyboard skillz. I use the term "people" as Victor probably has better things to do, including but not limited to mince pies
Quote from MAGGOT :'Tis a shame how much quality you're missing out on. I can notice the difference between them quite easily. Of course, if you have cheap hardware you'll get cheap sound.

Realtek HD Audio chip, Seinheiser HD570's.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Realtek HD Audio chip, Seinheiser HD570's.

Pay close attention to either end of the sound spectrum, you'll hear artefacts in the compression in the low and high end of a 128kb file, less so in higher bitrates.

You won't hear it on speakers unless you have a half decent set.

I don't really see the point in "HD" soundcards. It's not like installing one enables you to hear at 20,000hz

Quote from duke_toaster :I can hear a difference between 128 and 320/variable higher than 128 on my cheap and nasty MP3 player which I bought because I had an iPoo that broke rather quickly and wanted something cheap lest it brakes, but I find 128 acceptable and I normally use 160 (I think). All of this MP3, of course.

As can I, but I've learnt to hear the difference between 256 and 320kb CBR mp3s over the years, although when it comes to encoding, I use 192kb CBR.
Quote from MAGGOT :'Tis a shame how much quality you're missing out on. I can notice the difference between them quite easily. Of course, if you have cheap hardware you'll get cheap sound.

I dunno, not to say I don't like the higher bitrates, 192 is just the lowest I can tolerate, most of my music is 256 or so AAC audio. FLAC and stuff I can't do, because where I play all my music doesn't really support FLAC.
Thank you Vic

Well to spot flaws you need not only decent equipment (but nothing fancy, really), but paying close attention and drawing comparisons.

If you search a bit on the web you can find useful resources to learn what to pay attention to. If you use an ABX tool like the foobar2k plugin, you will then be able to check whether you really can't tell the difference or not.

I had a friend who couldn't tell simple flaws like clipping and distortion because most things he used to listen to were clipped and distorted - but he immediately became aware of them as soon as I made him take notice.

CBR is not really a good thing in mp3s because you are bound to produce evident artifacts on the hard-to-compress passages, and besides, CBR128 encondings usually have severely impaired dynamics (=the sound is dull, lacking the brilliance and liveliness of the original source).

CBR192 is a bit better, but an APS VBR encoding is not so different sizewise and is a definite improvement.
-
9 year bump, but is there a possibility that someone still has that album Victor uploaded? Link is dead by now. Thanks in advance Smile
I guess that would be me.

The rest of the "album" is in the add on pack (or at least should be)
10 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Feel The Silence
11 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Nowhere.mp3
Attached files
01 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Intro.mp3 - 2.7 MB - 337 views
02 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Blessed Song.mp3 - 8.6 MB - 326 views
03 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Melrose Space.mp3 - 9.1 MB - 324 views
04 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - A Friend.mp3 - 9.1 MB - 276 views
05 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Nr 10.mp3 - 10 MB - 316 views
06 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Fairytailes.mp3 - 5.9 MB - 312 views
07 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Ubik.mp3 - 5.9 MB - 310 views
08 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Louise.mp3 - 6.9 MB - 306 views
09 - Victor Van Vlaardingen - Perfect Chemistry.mp3 - 8.8 MB - 307 views