The online racing simulator
Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
Quote from Sueycide_FD :That or a old c230 kompressor. Start small and work your way up to a e36m3 or e46 330ci.

C230 Kompressor and "start small" in the same sentence. Sorry but thats so 'murican (That Benz is a typical 'doctors-wife' car here. Normal first cars for young drivers rarely have more than 1.6 litres and/or 100 hp)

Quote from Jakg :In the interests of fairness our cars and car-related-taxes are very cheap compared to similar European countries so we really can't complain that much.

plus no TÜV (MOT is a joke compared to it :razz and iirc your driving schools are very cheap compared to ours.
Quote from ACCAkut :

plus no TÜV (MOT is a joke compared to it :razz and iirc your driving schools are very cheap compared to ours.

They both are jokes if you look after your car.
Quote from Crashgate3 :haha, good luck getting a 17 year old insured on either of those for less than £5000, if they'll even do it at all.

But they are gutless??
Not everyone drives round in V8 Holdens
I found quite a good deal (I think), £3,728.66 Annually for a:
2011 Volkswagen POLO MK5 HATCHBACK 5-DR 1.2 Moda....what do you guys think? And btw my birthday isnt until August so hopefully the offer won't go up

I looked at some Vauxhalls, Citerons, Peugeots, Renaults, Fiats, Volvos and the Opel manta but all of them were between £4000 and £10,000, I'm actually surprised that I got £3,728.66 for a VW :O
Quote from Crashgate3 :Not everyone drives round in V8 Holdens

Yes we do !
That or V8 Falcons.

Jap crap is just for those who want to be posers, and 'little boy ricers' ( AKA, Ak kiddies )
(Little NZ joke)
It's just that our in'sewer'ance, like the rest of hobbitland, is 10 years behind the rest of the world, and we let kiddies drive from 15 cus 'the farmers need cheap labour'

And buying euro's here, forget it, parts etc are so exie that there's no point in bothering.

Anyway, here's a real typical kiwi car.
V8 300hp Hillman Avenger...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF5DGWY9Fvc

Smile and wave Dennis, smile and wave ......
Just use taxis. You could get a lot of rides to places for nearly £4000!

I thought insurance was bad when I was quoted £800 when I was 17 in 2007.
Quote from Crashgate3 :haha, good luck getting a 17 year old insured on either of those for less than £5000, if they'll even do it at all.

What about pick-up trucks? Are they cheaper to insure than sedans over there?
The draw back to owning a pick-up though is how many friends call you up when they want to move.
You don't really get pick-up trucks over here. The odd Toyota Hilux on farms and I've a couple of Nissan Navaros, but they're like monster trucks; I wouldn't want to try driving one in a city regularly.
PPRE 6 rotor <3

i just made up some details of what an average 17 year old and got a quote for 780 pounds on a 1999 E36 316Ti Compact manual using that go compare.
Quote from Mustafur :i just made up some details of what an average 17 year old and got a quote for 780 pounds on a 1999 E36 316Ti Compact manual using that go compare.

Too weak to enjoy RWD anyway.
Quote from Mustafur :i just made up some details of what an average 17 year old and got a quote for 780 pounds on a 1999 E36 316Ti Compact manual using that go compare.

Bollocks did you. You put something in wrong then.
#93 - Jakg

Just got a quote with an E36 Compact 316i, using average details of a 17 year old, just passed their test, work full time in a supermarket, good area, £500 excess, third party fire and theft.

Best price was £5,456.30. Only 13 out of 125 insurers even provided a quote.

I then ran it again with two older parents on there, good driving history etc as a named driver. £3,754.52 (which was quite a lot cheaper than I thought it'd be).

No way would you get a quote of £780.
take away the job(they are 17, why would they be working full time?) and say its in a locked garage, and no peak hour driving.

I got 2 quotes under 1000 pounds the rest where like 3-6k.
#95 - Jakg
Quote from Mustafur :take away the job(they are 17, why would they be working full time?) and say its in a locked garage, and no peak hour driving.

I got 2 quotes under 1000 pounds the rest where like 3-6k.

Still calling bullshit. Garages usually increase the premium (for no good reason), and declaring yourself "unemployed" also increases the cost quite a lot. And irrespective of my views on "no peak hour driving" I don't think any insurers load for it.

Most people who have cars aged 17 usually have a job to pay for even some of it.
Thats strange. I can insure a E30 M3 for 150 a month with my history and neighborhood. When i had my MR-2 non turbo i was paying around 600 every 6 months.
Quote from Jakg :Still calling bullshit. Garages usually increase the premium (for no good reason), and declaring yourself "unemployed" also increases the cost quite a lot. And irrespective of my views on "no peak hour driving" I don't think any insurers load for it.

Most people who have cars aged 17 usually have a job to pay for even some of it.

Yeah but its insurance, they dont have to know that stuff.

I also put a outside of london address if that matters(Swindon).
Quote from Jakg :Garages usually increase the premium (for no good reason)

Do you have evidence of that? Because usually when parked off road or in a garage the premium comes down because insurance only covers you when on a public road - on private property it comes off the property insurance. This is why you see so many "At your own risk" signs about in car parks and what-not.

I've never had a car park crash myself but I did have a guy have a go at me once whilst turning around and reversing the back of my car onto his drive, he came running out and started ranting about some bloke who crashed into his wall 6 months earlier doing a similar thing and who then claimed on his house insurance which put his premiums up.

People are ****s.
Quote from Becky Rose :Do you have evidence of that? Because usually when parked off road or in a garage the premium comes down because insurance only covers you when on a public road - on private property it comes off the property insurance. This is why you see so many "At your own risk" signs about in car parks and what-not.

When I moved and changed my insurance details from parked on a road to parked on a driveway it went up not down......so I changed it back.

A 17 year old getting any quote under £1000 is leaving some important information out some where.
good example me,being 28(first insurance in uk tho) it didnt matter what car i got or what occupation i entered(i entered mechanic at the end and it went down a bit,which is wierd) all it mattered is the adress,and 10 month policy isntead of 12. the end result is 1600 gbp on a 2002 325i

Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG