The online racing simulator
STOCK CAR 03
(32 posts, started )
STOCK CAR 03
Even though it's been public for some time now, I've decided to create a thread for it to gather feedback.

Inspiration

- The 3D model is based on this low-poly model. Even though it's based on a NASCAR cup car from the 2003 season, however I'm not aiming for an exact 1:1 copy, so there's some room for creativity I guess Smile

- The suspension geometry and some engine characteristics are based on Bob Smith's NASCAR experiment, which is based on the Car of Tomorrow (around 2009).

Mod page: https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/98F5ED

It is skinnable, the setup has two configurations:
- DEFAULT (with light stickers)
- NO DECALS (without light stickers)

Things to do

- Fix tyres overheating too quickly
- Update interior (roll cage, driver seat, gear stick...)
- Iron out some parts of the car body
- More default skins
- and probably much more...
Some progress on the steering wheel:

I've used this as a reference picture:

Attached images
lfs_00000134.jpg
That's a good job dude!
y the gauge up side down?
I was also wondering this, actually, a lot of gauges are angled kind of oddly. But I guess once the car gets up to speed the needles are somehow aligned in a nice visible position such that the driver can pick it up by a peripheral vision more easily. Also, the car is designed for oval racing, so most of the time driver head is also tilted to one side Smile
this mod is one of my favourites !Nod
clearly wow effect when i saw a Nascar Project !
good Job Thumbs up
Quote from scania :y the gauge up side down?

The thing spends most of its time at high revs so placing it upside down gives driver better view where he is at, rather than wasting the space for revs that car is never at. I've seen same thing in Dirt Rally 2 with the VW Golf 2 and people always asked the same question
As you may have noticed, the tyres overheat quite quickly with this car - driving around Kyoto Oval, they go after 4-5 laps. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it because the car is too powerful and needs a restrictor for the fast oval? Or is there something wrong with the suspension / setup?

For those who want to fiddle with it - I've attached the zipped mod archive for the editor - just unzip it in LFS_EDITOR\data.

I'd be very happy if someone could help with this issue Smile
Attached files
STOCK CAR 03.7z - 1.9 MB - 280 views
#9 - BeNoM
I think it's an LFS tyre issue moreso than an issue with the mod.
Just for the reference - I have done 5 laps with Bob Smith's NASCAR mod in version X and then with my mod, did similar laptimes and it actually seems to have the same issue.

Here are comparison screenshots of the tyre temperatures:

And here is suspension geometry - I tried to replicate that as close as possible:
Attached images
nascar_tyres_comparison.jpg
nascar_suspension_comparison.jpg
Beautiful
rear should be live axle?
Yes but solid axle is not supported in LFS.
Just gotta update it to be a 2022 Stock Car and then the non-solid axle is realistic Big grin
A small update is available - a window net on the left side and a bit of roll cage in the front part. The car also has a proper NASCAR steering wheel now. Smile

Attached images
lfs_00000154.jpg
lfs_00000155.jpg
hmm you said solid axle is not supported? what about the semi trailing arm option?
Maybe the best workaround is to just force-lock the diff in the setup, if that's possible.
Quote from BlueFlame :Maybe the best workaround is to just force-lock the diff in the setup, if that's possible.

Solid axle =/= locked diferential
Quote from Eclipsed :Solid axle =/= locked diferential

I was mistaken. I was thinking about differential instead of suspension stuff.
Quote from Flame CZE :As you may have noticed, the tyres overheat quite quickly with this car - driving around Kyoto Oval, they go after 4-5 laps. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it because the car is too powerful and needs a restrictor for the fast oval? Or is there something wrong with the suspension / setup?

For those who want to fiddle with it - I've attached the zipped mod archive for the editor - just unzip it in LFS_EDITOR\data.

Could it be downforce related?

If I'm not mistaken, oval configs are a different aero package for the whole car and not just the absence of wing angle or spoiler size. I don't know how aero is calculated with a modded car E.X. if the base body has X value of downforce and the wing elements only add to that base value or whether the wing values = the entire total downforce of the car. If that's the case maybe if it cannot be a configurable option in the traditional sense maybe it would be necessary to make another version of the car for oval trim.

Could be worth a look.
Quote from Flame CZE :As you may have noticed, the tyres overheat quite quickly with this car - driving around Kyoto Oval, they go after 4-5 laps. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it because the car is too powerful and needs a restrictor for the fast oval? Or is there something wrong with the suspension / setup?

My ARVW & Deltawing also have this problem
Quote from Flame CZE :Yes but solid axle is not supported in LFS.

Linear/Trailing arm will work very close to it
As per BlueFlame's request, I've increased the base & maximum steering lock from 20° to 35°, which results in a steering ratio of 10:1.
I'll try it later with wheel but one thing I see in LFS these days is when you scale down the max steering lock, the ratio is compensated as you scroll the steering lock down, so the "sensitivity" of the ratio steering remains exactly the same, despite removing max lock.

It's been a while since I've driven LFS regularly especially since the latter updates after 2014 or so I'm wondering if this has always been there or if there is a way to solve it via mod settings especially since steering ratio itself is very driver specific.

STOCK CAR 03
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG