The online racing simulator
Drilling multi fit alloy wheels???
(6 posts, started )
Hi all, I have just bought a set of 17" rs4 reps very very cheaply (Pics attached) and they are the incorrect pcd for my car, so I'm just looking to clarify what my options might be.

The wheels are multi fit, 4x108 and 4x100, but as sods law would dictate, of course, my car is 4x114.3, however, the way the existing holes are positioned means there is ample room for 4 more holes to be drilled in the correct pcd.

There is more than enough space away from the beginning of the spokes and miles away from the mating face edge on the rear of the wheel that would sit against the hub, and although the 108 holes in the picture sit quite close to the centre cap line, and i am aware that a set of 114 PCD holes may very slightly encroach where the centre cap would fit, i can live with half a millimeter of a bolt hole showing if it comes to it, thats not a concern really, but as I don't know much about wheels I'm just wondering if 12 holes in a wheel is actually safe?

But if its not then would I be able to get them drilled and then have the other holes welded up?

I have exhausted the possibility of hub adapters as the thinnest ones I can find would almost certainly result in the wheel meeting the arch, with an et of 35 on the new rims and 44 on my standards, plus a rim thats wider im going to be getting on for anywhere between 15 and 25mm more poke without any adaptors, and even if by some miracle the 15mm ones I have found were to just clear they aren't hub centric and I wouldn't wish to run with no centre support because I'm basically not a loony.

Another option would be to have the rear of the wheel machined so that I could run a decent hub centric adaptor, but again I'm not sure if removing material from the mating face of a wheel would be wise.

I have also considered having the hubs redrilled but I'm put off a little because if I want to change cars in future then I'd be unable to refit the standard 15s if I wanted to.

Sorry for all the text but I'm pretty clueless and wanted to get all the relevant info in.

Many thanks in advance.
Attached images
rims1.jpg
rims2.jpg
Have you thought about Wheel Adapters rather than drilling another set of holes in your wheels & weaken them.
Google is your friend - https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_ ... adapters+4x114.3+to+4x100
You will probably have to get your arches rolled as well by the sounds of it, also you might be able to change the hubs on the car for different size ones but thats going to be expensive. Another option is see if anyone else has done a wheel conversion your thinking of doing on an owners forum. You never know someone might have already done it for your car.
I have indeed thought about pcd adaptors, but the additional thickness these will add on between the wheel and the hub will almost certainly make the wheels foul on the wheel arches. I have asked on the makes forum but an 17 year old volvo estate isnt usually the car of choice to do things like this to, if truth be told im not really sure why its my choice of car to do things to either really, i just want to be different i guess, plus the car has been flat out reliable all the time ive owned it, so dont want to risk getting something different and it turning out to be a bit of a lemon.
Is it worth it Dan? I see you got them cheap but by the time you've paid to have them machined or drilled they aren't going to be that cheap. Wouldn't it be easier to sell them and buy another set of wheels with the right fitment?
Quote from GAVD999 :Is it worth it Dan? I see you got them cheap but by the time you've paid to have them machined or drilled they aren't going to be that cheap. Wouldn't it be easier to sell them and buy another set of wheels with the right fitment?

Yeah. What he said.
This is crazy talk. 4x114.3 is one of the best stud patterns you can have. They're common and easy to get, and you can find good wheels pretty cheap.

It really wouldn't be worth the effort.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG