The online racing simulator
PS2 keyboard = twice lower FPS
(14 posts, started )
I found some old PS2/USB adapter in desk tray, so I thought since I have PS2 ports on my motherboard it would be good idea to free one USB port. So I connected keyboard via PS2 and after some time started LFS, I noticed instantly that my FPS is much lower than usually, although its still little above 60 in single player (usually about 120-150). First I thought maybe some graphics settings changed or something, checked LFS graphics settings, then Catalyst... everything seems to be normal. So I reconnected keyboard to USB port and FPS was still about 60-70, after rebooting computer 130+ FPS So basicly I discovered that if I boot my computer with any PS2 device, I got twice lower FPS in LFS. I can't tell for other games, since I don't play anything else. Seems to be some weird conflict happening in my computer.
Any solutions for that? (I have only 4 USB ports )
Can you actually reproduce the problem like this?
- Shut down the computer
- Swap an USB keyboard for a PS/2 one
- Boot up, check the performance under various circumstances, particularly the CPU load
- Repeat with the USB keyboard
Yes, whenever I boot with some PS/2 device FPS is bad.

I've checked CPU and GPU load in both situations, here are results:

keyboard CPU usage(dual core) GPU usage

PS/2 50-55% 45-60%
USB 50-55% 80-90%

It seems like CPU is much more stressed with PS/2. I doubt this will be easy to fix...
After 10 years of LFS its suddenly time to think about PS/2 users? Don't think so lol.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Yes, whenever I boot with some PS/2 device FPS is bad.

Even if it's just a PS/2 mouse without any PS/2 keyboard connected? This looks like some sort of problem with IRQ handling.
Yes, if only mouse over PS/2 or both over PS/2, same problem

Gonna see if I can find some USB front panel in local store...
Unfortunately Windows doesn't come with a tool that would allow you to check if there are any problems with IRQ, but most BIOSes have a "Plug and Play aware OS" option. According to MS it should be set to "No", but perhaps in case of a buggy BIOS it'd be better to set it to "Yes". Another step would be a BIOS update.

It's difficult to even guess what could be wrong without any meaningful diagnostics output... which I have no idea how to get on Windows. Do you see performance problems everywhere or is it just LFS?
Quote from chucknorris :After 10 years of LFS its suddenly time to think about PS/2 users? Don't think so lol.

Ha-ha-ha. I'm using ball mouse. Me love how it work when clean.

This??
It's probably like MadCatx mentioned and due to some IRQ / interrupt request. I've encountered similar issues in the past also with PS/2 keyboards Daniel. Your best option is to pick up a USB-splitter and a USB keyboard. It fixed my issue before and hopefully will fix yours as well.
and be aware that (for some reason) not all PS/2 adapters work with all USB input devices. You shouldn't mix up different manufactures, I remember reading about someone frying their mainboard using the wrong adapter. And don't even think about testing it with anything else than keyboard and mouse.
I'm of the opinion that this is an IRQ problem too.

I suggest you install Process Explorer from sysinternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sysinternals

This can replace task manager, and give you far more information on what is happening to your PC.

Using the IO and CPU history graphs, it is possible to see if interrupts are hogging resources.

Windows does try to map physical IRQ's as virtual ones, and even share them where possible, but for legacy hardware, they may expect exclusivity and enter a loop of service request, fail, retry (seen as a regular spike in the graph).

It may be possible to remap your IRQ's in BIOS so they do get exclusivity, and windows will remap others to suit.
Hmmm, makes me want to get a USB keyboard now and see if my FPS goes up.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG