The online racing simulator
Using a wireless network with LFS
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a laptop, recognising the need for internet access without a direct connection to the phone line I'm looking for help on which wireless router is the best one in the current market for around £30-£40.

However my main worry is that with the 1MB connection I have at the moment will routing it to my laptop result in an increase in lag and general speed of LFS, or will it be able to cope with no problems?
Quote from Chris_Kerry :

However my main worry is that with the 1MB connection I have at the moment will routing it to my laptop result in an increase in lag and general speed of LFS, or will it be able to cope with no problems?

You shouldnt have any problems with lag or ping to LFS using home wireless network.Depends ofcourse how far away you would be from the router but it basically only should slowdown a speed between router and your laptop.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :You shouldnt have any problems with lag or ping to LFS using home wireless network.Depends ofcourse how far away you would be from the router but it basically only should slowdown a speed between router and your laptop.

I'll be within around 20m or so, no problems with that?
I have a Netgear DG834GT Router and have tested LFS wireless with my laptop , with a strong signal (1-5Meters) I get no problems what so ever , and additional lag didnt seem to be an issue. However if another PC on the network starts browsing , e-mail ect it does slow up the wireless in an inconsistant way , more than other wired PCs .
With a good to poor signal strenth (5-20Meters) I would get d/c from servers anywhere between a few sec's to over 30 mins .

it all depends on your local Interference and the quality of the equipment, but wireless does add latency.

I would always recomend running a cable instead of using wireless for multiplayer gaming to anyone who wants to stay in a server until the race is finished

SD.
#5 - SamH
I have a D-Link wireless router, I'm 3 floors from the router on a BT Cable & Wireless PCI card and I get 100% signal here. My Toshiba Tecra laptop gets about 80% in the same location.

I'm not sure if my D-Link is unusually strong - the signal is definitely better than my old router, but I don't have other D-Links to compare it with. It does rock, though.

I don't suffer from lag on LFS. 1Mb will handle LFS fine. Depending on your own signal strength, and also on your encryption, you should do fine on most/any main-brand routers I think. Probably more important than distance is bricks.. how many walls away from your router will you be?
Wireless with LFS is one of the few games I have played with wireless that is fine.

I'm ~35ft from the router (Linksys jobby, I haven't seen it in so long I forgot the model), it has to go through many walls and a floor, and I can play LFS online fine. And I only have a 500k connection here.

And for your pricetag, you'll have a rather large range of routers to chose from. But here's my 2p. Don't get a Linksys unless you can keep it in a cold location, or want to mod in your own fan. They run very hot (I have to restart mine every now and then as it over heats due to it's location and lack of ventalation), and if you want to get one of the modded firmwares for extra features and signal boosting, they run so hot they crash all the time.
Quote from Chris_Kerry :I'll be within around 20m or so, no problems with that?

Depend on the quality of the wireless router and also on quality of your wifi card in your notebook.
Also it depend on the condition in your house.Strong walls a lot of wiring in walls can make problems.
Its just hard to say you will be 100 percent fine 20 meters away with notebook.
And 1Mbit connection is way enough for LFS.
Right thanks guys, I think I have enough info from that. Sounds to me as if it is a bit of pot luck so to speak with how well it'll work out. Never the less I'll give it ago.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG