The online racing simulator
NHL Stanley Cup Finals
(28 posts, started )
NHL Stanley Cup Finals
Here we are, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals was last night. I was glued to the TV in 1991 and 1992 and I was glued to the TV last night.

Sydney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins have won the Stanley Cup!

And I am smiling like a butcher's dog!

Marian Hossa after Pittsburgh loses to the Detroit Redwings in the 2008 Stanley cup finals gives up a pile of money to go to the Redwings because "I want to hold the cup and I think going to Detriot will give me the best chance." It was very nice seeing Hossa sitting at the bench dejected as Pittsburgh piled onto Fleury in celebration after winning game 7 of this year's Cup final.

The following Wheaties and Frosted Flakes are 18 years old still unopened and full of cereal. I am going to need a bigger shelf. Gotta find me a team poster from this year.

Whoohoo! First time ever an NFL football team and NHL hockey team brought home the championship for the same city!
was a good game. glad to see detroit get their ass kicked.
Boo
That's quite a cup.
I was in Pittsburgh this past week on business at my division's HQ. The final game was a fairly hot topic all around the office.
It makes it funnier because it was in Detroit.
Quote from zeugnimod : That's quite a cup.

Purchased in 1892 for $48.67US. Since 1907, every team player/member that has won the cup has had his name engraved on it. When all 5 rings are filled up, they retire the top ring to the Hockey Hall of Fame where the original cup is encased and a new ring is added. I think the names sit on the cup for 64 years before it will move to the Hall of Fame.

The winning team keeps the cup through the summer, then it returns to the Hall of Fame awaiting the next champions. It's been stolen, left behind along the road, pissed in, dropped kicked into the frozen Rideau Canal and left there thinking it was submerged, sat on the stage at a stripclub, and a baby was baptized in it.

It now has a 24 hr a day guard who travels everywhere the cup goes. I want that job!

I don't normally like the "Fail" pictures that are all over the net Dustin, but......

I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. I'm originally from the Detroit area, and it would have been nice to have seen one good thing happen for the city. After watching the entire series, I would have to say that Detroit had it all, and then played some of the crappiest hockey I've ever seen and threw it all away. I thought for sure after the Grand Rapids Griffins beat the Penguins in the first two games that Detroit had the cup.

And I'm sorry, but I still can't see why Sidney Crosby is so amazing. Maybe it was just that series, but he really didn't seem to do much. But then again, neither did Datsyuk.
Quote from mrodgers :I don't normally like the "Fail" pictures that are all over the net Dustin, but......

he sure did pick the wrong team there...

Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :And I'm sorry, but I still can't see why Sidney Crosby is so amazing. Maybe it was just that series, but he really didn't seem to do much. But then again, neither did Datsyuk.

crosby + malkin didn't do a whole lot this series, but you only mentioned datsyuk? hossa didn't do anything... holmstrom... franzen... cleary... zetterberg cheated throughout the entire series... i mean, come on... they had to rely on abdelkader for a couple goals.

plus, whenever crosby or malkin had the puck, they would get triple-teamed into the boards, so it was a "why bother" situation.

i wanted pittsburgh to win, but i think detroit got lazy and greedy after games 3+4... and it cost them in game 7.
Lol the cup has a nice history
This thread just pored salt on my wounds.

This should have been the year.

Go B's

Anyway, the rest of the Penguins really stepped it up, and I hate the Red Wings, so I'm happy with the end result.

As happy as I can be.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. I'm originally from the Detroit area, and it would have been nice to have seen one good thing happen for the city.

Something good such as beating Pittsburgh last year for the Stanley Cup? They were the reining Champions from last year, you know...

Quote :And I'm sorry, but I still can't see why Sidney Crosby is so amazing. Maybe it was just that series, but he really didn't seem to do much. But then again, neither did Datsyuk.

When you have 2 amazing teams like Detroit and Pittsburgh battling, the star players aren't the story. The story moves to your roll players and of course the goaltender. Datsyuk I have a feeling was definitely not at 100%. He didn't play until game 5 (or was it 6?)

Last year, the Pens were starstruck. They were very young with hardly any experience and Detroit walked all over them. Both teams have amazing stars, but when your stars are all not even at the legal age to drink alcohol, the experience makes a difference. This year, those same young players were now had Stanley Cup contender experience.

Both Detroit and Pittsburgh had a single crappy game, games 4 and 5. Other than those, it was an amazing series. Either team could have been hoisting the Cup on Friday night. I don't think the series could have been any better matched than this one compounded with the fact that it was a repeat from last year with the two teams.

Marian Hossa was the definite only fail of this series. Had it not been under the circumstances that it was with him, he would have simply been a non-factor. Other than Hossa, it just came down to who made that one mistake allowing the other team to capitalize. Detroit made many mistakes, but so did Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh capitalized on those mistakes, but so did Detroit. This is why it came down to a final game 7. Goaltending wins Stanley Cups and Detroit threw a fleury at Fleury and he stopped it. I could easily have been Detroits Cup again from the 3rd period. They gave it their all.
Quote from mrodgers :Goaltending wins Stanley Cups and Detroit threw a fleury at Fleury and he stopped it.

:ices_rofl
It was a good game, and a good series overall, I was happy to see the Pens win it all. It doesn't matter that Crosby and Malkin didn't contribute much in the series, they both pretty much carried the team in the previous rounds to actually get them to the Stanley Cup final. And just their presence on the ice is enough to spark the team.
Happy to see the Penguins winning it, have been a fan since number 66 used to play IMO they deserved it! Weren't they considered to be one of the worst teams and then made a quite a comeback last season? Although they did have the top 2 best players
Quote from BAMBO :Weren't they considered to be one of the worst teams and then made a quite a comeback last season?

i'm not entirely sure about being the worst, but at one point jim balsillie wanted to move the penguins... maybe that had something to do with how bad the team was (dying fanbase == less money == cheaper players)...

at any rate, yeah, last year was good until the finals, and then the game 6 upset.

did anyone else get the feeling that detroit didn't want to play game 7 this year?
Yea it seemed like the entire game Detroit couldn't get anything going. They were lucky to even get that one goal.
I'm just so glad Detroit got their asses kicked. They deserved it for being so good <.<

I'm not particularly a fan of the Penguins, but once my team is out, I had to pick one, and it seemed the most likely to make it all the way (out of the eastern teams... boo west :tilt.
Quote from boosterfire :I'm just so glad Detroit got their asses kicked. They deserved it for being so good <.<

I'm not particularly a fan of the Penguins, but once my team is out, I had to pick one, and it seemed the most likely to make it all the way (out of the eastern teams... boo west :tilt.

montreal sucks against boston... i was hoping they both would go far, but that never happened. i'm just glad philly and the rangers didn't go far this year.
Quote from bunder9999 :montreal sucks against boston... i was hoping they both would go far, but that never happened. i'm just glad philly and the rangers didn't go far this year.

I wouldn't have minded for the Rangers, but I do keep a bitter taste of the Phlyers. As for Boston, well it's almost the same story as last year, except that the roles were reversed. We didn't get 7 games, though...

I guess you're hoping for the Hamilton Coyotes?
Quote from bunder9999 :i'm not entirely sure about being the worst, but at one point jim balsillie wanted to move the penguins... maybe that had something to do with how bad the team was (dying fanbase == less money == cheaper players)...

I remember that, and then at the start of a game, Mario Lemieux gone to the middle of the stage and announced that the Penguins will stay at Melon Arena in Pittsburgh. Didn't he also considered moving the team?
Quote from boosterfire :I guess you're hoping for the Hamilton Coyotes?

damn straight... but i hope balsillie changes the name if that should ever happen... this is what, the third team he's tried to get us?

it's no secret that we want a hockey team... it's too expensive or hard to get toronto tickets, and most of us can't be arsed to drive all the way to buffalo. hamilton does have a bit of buffalo fans though - who knows how that will turn out with the new border+passport rules recently added though... the only person who doesn't want us and balsillie to have a team is bettman.
Whonder why i lost interest after conference semi-finals...
Too bad for Hossa, one of my favourite player, he sure know how to choose teams...
Strange, lots of my favourite players were in Detroit (datsyuk it's awesome, so smooth in stickhandling) but i preferred penguins (!) for the cups. Cant survive a year of Detroit fans harassing me again!
Quote from bunder9999 :damn straight... but i hope balsillie changes the name if that should ever happen... this is what, the third team he's tried to get us?

it's no secret that we want a hockey team... it's too expensive or hard to get toronto tickets, and most of us can't be arsed to drive all the way to buffalo. hamilton does have a bit of buffalo fans though - who knows how that will turn out with the new border+passport rules recently added though... the only person who doesn't want us and balsillie to have a team is bettman.

The Judge Baum said he reckons Balsillie would not only have to pay a compensation to the NHL, but also a compensation to the Buffalo and Toronto franchises for the loss of market as well. I say, yes, but since when have Buffalo and Toronto been in any trouble to fill up their arenas? It's like if they tried to put back a team in Quebec City. There aren't that many people willing to drive 2 hours from Quebec City down to Montreal just to see a hockey game. Yes, there are some people, but those who wouldn't do it anymore because they'd have their team in Quebec City would be swiftly replaced by other habs fans. Same thing would happen in Buffalo and Toronto.

I think Bettman has never thought in terms of fan market, but rather in terms of buisness market. This is why he doesn't want teams to go to Hamilton, Quebec City or Winnipeg. While those cities have a the potential to fill up an arena 41 games a year, they might not have the potential to get the required amount of sponsors or corporate lodges. However, Phoenix certainly does have that... it just lacks the fan base.

I don't see, however, how a buisness lacking Hamilton franchise could be less profitable than a 9000 fans per game lacking Phoenix franchise.
Boosterfire: sadly true.
Still i dream to see Whalers again
Or Nordiques...

NHL Stanley Cup Finals
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG