The online racing simulator
rFactor Help
(47 posts, started )
rFactor Help
Since RSC is b0rked, and I couldn't find much when I searched the interwebs, I thought I'd post my problem here.

I've been trying the rFactor demo recently and, well, I've managed to try the menus... and that's about it.

My problem is that whenever I load the track, the loading bar will get to about 3/4 or sometimes all the way, and then the game will freeze. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and end task to get out of it. No idea what could possibly be causing it, but I'm fairly sure it's not because of my system simply being inadequate.

If it makes any difference, one other problem that I experience when starting up rFactor is that it takes ~5 mins to load the Trymedia (?) "You have x minutes of demo left" screen, and then a further ~3 mins to load rFactor itself. I experience similar program start-up times with Euro Truck Sim, and I read somewhere that it might be Vista related (?).

I can't produce any sort of trace log thingy, as Unseen suggested, because it freezes, and I have to close it. It doesn't crash and close itself.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated. I've already used up 14 minutes of the 1 hour demo, and all I have seen so far is the menu .

Should I contact rFactor support?
Sadly I do not know what to suggest.

It's a nice menu though right?
Thats all you get to see for the demo, you have to buy the game to see the rest.
this will sound odd. but try hitting spacebar whenever the loading bar seems to have frozen in place. Whenever i'm loading 50+ cars and the bar stops for a amount of time, i hit the spacebar and it continues on it's way.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :this will sound odd. but try hitting spacebar whenever the loading bar seems to have frozen in place. Whenever i'm loading 50+ cars and the bar stops for a amount of time, i hit the spacebar and it continues on it's way.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Quote from SilverArrows77 :Trymedia - rFactors biggest bloody flaw .....

rFactor can take awhile to load sometimes, this isnt uncommon, but for it to freeze fully when loading a track, im not sure. I use XP and cant say ive had that prob when i tried demo, or since having bought the full game.

Does it happen on one track, or have you tried more than one? (is there more than one to try in demo these days?) Toban Raceway?

The demo is the full game, but with a 1 hour time limit. I've tried it on a couple of different tracks, but it still freezes.
Quote from JO53PHS :Since
My problem is that whenever I load the track, the loading bar will get to about 3/4 or sometimes all the way, and then the game will freeze. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and end task to get out of it. No idea what could possibly be causing it, but I'm fairly sure it's not because of my system simply being inadequate.

I had the same prob when I D/l'ed Some dodgy mods (like the 147 GTR 1.00 and Silverstone.) It must be some problem the creator did. I think it is just some files that are missing.

All I can say is look at the comments first. Do not download ones with alot of complaints, or low ratings.
AFAIK mods don't work with the demo... I haven't downloaded any anyway
Quote from JO53PHS :AFAIK mods don't work with the demo... I haven't downloaded any anyway

Huh? When I was using the demo, the Lupo Cup worked.... for the remaining 12 mins I had. You sure you are using v1.255?
Quote from Furiously-Fast : You sure you are using v1.255?

Ja rly...

I could just download a mod to see if it makes any difference...

And also he spacebar thing doesn't seem to be working =/
I had some quite similar problems with rF. It was FFDShow codec. It sometimes asked me if I'll use that codec in the current application when playing rF and when that happened rF freezed. If you have FFDShow you will have to config it to not to use it with rF.

Also do you have Nvidia card? From what I have experienced Nvidia isn't able to do proper drivers what will work with rF. Usually when I try to load a big track (like Nordschleife) and more than 30 cars the game will crash, or drivers will crash, or I will get BSOD or if I'm lucky I will get to the game but with AA and AF missing.
Quote from JO53PHS :Ja rly...

I could just download a mod to see if it makes any difference...

And also he spacebar thing doesn't seem to be working =/

Don't forget to make an account of rFactorCentral.

And did you install rF lite? Same game, but with 1 car and 1 track from ISI. Which means, more space for user created mods!
Quote from Sueycide_FD :this will sound odd. but try hitting spacebar whenever the loading bar seems to have frozen in place. Whenever i'm loading 50+ cars and the bar stops for a amount of time, i hit the spacebar and it continues on it's way.

+1 to that - its because it can't load a certain texture or something, it tells you in a pop-up box, but the box is "behind" rFactor so you can't see it
Tried playing with compatibility? Set it to Windows NT, probably helps...
Uninstalled it, and then reinstalled (using the same installer .exe), and it works fine now.

Thanks for your help/suggestions, everyone.
Oh FFS.. now it's just freezing randomly

How is it possible to make software that is so stupidly unstable..
1. Uninstall rTractor
2. Delete the installer
3. Empty the recycle bin
4. ???
5. Problem solved.
I'm going for my second re-install now, and I'm gonna try it on DX7 mode, with No antialiasing, to see if that will keep it happy

Can haz new computer? =(
I don't think it's your PC...
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I don't think it's your PC...

Works fine on mine. Never ever had any problems myself, making sure I only install mods that are known to be good.
i said it in another thread and im saying it again , do what toki suggested , i did , and my experiance of rfactor is brilliant now
Does rfactor not have a forum?
Quote from jwardy :i said it in another thread and im saying it again , do what toki suggested , i did , and my experiance of rfactor is brilliant now

You mean running it in NT compatibility? I'm going to try that now..
i meant binning it but u could try that
Still freezes.. the only difference being that the rFactor window doesn't go black when freezing.

Is it worth trying it in all the other compatibility modes?

My PC Specs, just incase there is something that rFactor might not like that you could immediately tell me about... :

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00 GHz
2GB/Go DDR2 RAM
200 GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT

*Jumps off cliff*

rFactor Help
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG