The online racing simulator
iPhone, accelerometer..
(15 posts, started )
#1 - STF
iPhone, accelerometer..
I had to share this, couldn`t find it on the forum..
A $13 piece of software vs $150 G-Tech.. provided you already have an iPhone.. meh
I'm going to get an iPhone when they sort out all the problems, and allow TomTom to work with it (with a bluetooth GPS reciever over the one built it).

Edit: How the hell did a 165hp Mini thing get 1.54g acceleration?
Quote from STF :A $13 piece of software vs $150 G-Tech.. provided you already have an iPhone.. meh

You mean a ~900€* device with 13$ software vs ~100€ device. Yeah, that sounds like a good deal :P

* Actual price depends on where you happen to live
Quote from Kegetys :You mean a ~900€* device with 13$ software vs ~100€ device. Yeah, that sounds like a good deal :P

* Actual price depends on where you happen to live

You are correct. It costs Roughly $2000 USD to own an iPhone 3g with the cheapest two year plan.

However If you already want/have an iPhone Or it is unlocked. It would be worth it although From the few reviews I've read it is not very accurate.

Edit: According to that video though it seems to be Pretty accurate. But I'd have to see more than one video like that to confirm it doesn't really suck.

Quote from Tristan :Edit: How the hell did a 165hp Mini thing get 1.54g acceleration?

They are on a prepped Drag strip. And that is the Max Acceleration.
Quote from AjRose :They are on a prepped Drag strip. And that is the Max Acceleration.

I think 1.54g is faster than most hypercars can do It sounds a little unrealistic to me.
i seriously doubt the 1.54g figure
i couldn't find anything on lfsworld
i just managed to see a 1.5g figure, exactly at the moment of the launch, for the FXR with turbo spooled up and stuff.
You do realize that the Max was most likely recorded at the launch. Purpose built drag cars regularly have 2.5+ G's at the launch.

It may be a little high but It's not unreasonable.
Quote from AjRose :You are correct. It costs Roughly $2000 USD to own an iPhone 3g with the cheapest two year plan.

It works on the iPod Touch too.
That g-force could be the "shudder" you see on the onboard camera during the start. It's pretty violent, but very short. They probably didn't apply a good noise filter to prevent such "false" (well they aren't false, but they are not what you're looking for) readings.
so i did good to doubt it

good to know
I doubt a GP2 car sees a true 1.5g peak acceleration (with noise filtered out), let alone a 160hp car weighing in at over a tonne. You can do the maths and work out what torque would be required at the engine!
Quote from AjRose :You do realize that the Max was most likely recorded at the launch. Purpose built drag cars regularly have 2.5+ G's at the launch.

6 gees I heard. But still, for a road car, 1g would be very impressive, especially so for a FWD. Realistically, the only time you're going to pull 1.54g in a mini, is if it's on rails (laterally), with a parachute, or if you drive into a lake (longitudinal decelaration).
#15 - STF
I don`t know, maybe for a fraction of a second at launch.. before it started spinning the wheels for a second.. Warmed tires, semi slicks, special compound high grip runway..
Too bad they didn`t mention G-Tech`s recorded max acceleration.

iPhone, accelerometer..
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG