The online racing simulator
[F1 2008]Malaysian Grand Prix Discussion *spoilers*
It has been raining on and off for a couple days now at the track, so there's a strong chance of a wet session and maybe even a wet race.

It will be very interesting to see how they go without TC or other aids in the wet on a track like Sepang. Massa will struggle, I think. Hamilton will surely be very strong again; Mclaren were fast here last year. Hopefully Kovaleinen wills step it up and challenge Lewis more.

Driver's Points after Round 1:

Constructor's Points after Round 1:
#2 - aoun
Im a Massa fan, so i hope he does well.

This season im supporting Nico, i want him to win in the Williams and Alonso, i want him to come back in a different car.

Good luck to them, i hope it rains!
Quote from Lateralus :It has been raining on and off for a couple days now at the track, so there's a strong chance of a wet session and maybe even a wet race.

I hope you are right! Monsoon for Sunday.
#4 - samjh
http://www.kjc.gov.my/htdocs2/data/T047E.html

Thunderstorm forecast for all the afternoons this weekend. :mischievo

I think McLaren will definitely be strong. BMW will suffer due to variable winds on the Sepang circuit. Ferrari will be trying hard to get their act together, but Massa will probably continue to struggle. Ferrari has excellent straight-line speed, so perhaps they can capitalise on it on the long straights.

Rain will throw all that out the window though.
i'd think the TC was extremely beneficial on a track like sepang, so maybe we'll see lots of fighting on this track. i wonder what the lap times will be like.
Just the other day wondered how ridiculous this has become... the thing that everyone (including me) is hoping to see few rain races like last year. In pretty much every other series rain ruins everything and most likely guarantees less racing action. Modern F1 is so great, isn't it.
Imagine some rain in Bahrain... whitout TC...
#8 - samjh
Quote from Blas89 :Imagine some rain in Bahrain... whitout TC...

That won't be half as bad as, say, Monza in the rain minus TC.
Quote from samjh :That won't be half as bad as, say, Monza in the rain minus TC.

But we could see mud storms.

If it rains watch out for Redbull and Torro Rosso.
Oh goody, maybe with some rain (i.e. some challenging conditions), even fewer people will finish the race!
#11 - Dru
1st Practice is bone dry and heat haze everywhere
Quote from deggis :Modern F1 is so great, isn't it.

If we had a season of races like Melbourne 2008? Yeah.
Love seeing just about every driver make mistakes, bodes well for when it actually rains.

Coulthard just went off by himself, with the front falling apart over a curb. Definitely Newey's skills from mclaren showing through!

And kimi who again stops on the track, engine just loses power and that's it. He might be hoping for rain just to have cooler temperatures on qualy and racedays?
His year, and everyone using a ferrari engine, might be a disaster if this is going to happen at every warmish race.
I am really hoping for a Ferrari/Kimi resurgence this weekend. Go Kimi!
Quote from Mustafur :But we could see mud storms.

If it rains watch out for Redbull and Torro Rosso.

dont forget Honda as well.
I have been in Kuala Lumpur for the past 8 weeks and I am going to the Grand Prix! Yay! My first one!

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you all a VERY wet race! Come 3-4pm in the afternoon you are VERY likely to have a VERY heavy rain storm! It has done this consistently for the past week at least. It is 15.40 just now, and it is torrential rain, it started at 15.00.

To be honest, I could see the rainfall here being enough for a red flag. I think aqua-planing is a very high possibility, given the sheer volume in such a relatively short space of time. The grand prix is due to start at 3pm local time, so that matches almost exactly with the time of day we have storms here.

I will be taking my waterproof jacket and an Umbrella to the race!

http://www.worldweather.org/020/c00082.htm
#18 - MR_B
Good first post Lateralus...

Just watched practice 2.... What on earth is HE doing in 4th!
The more I watch Vettel the more impressed I become.
Quote from mrbogeyman :I have been in Kuala Lumpur for the past 8 weeks and I am going to the Grand Prix! Yay! My first one!

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you all a VERY wet race! Come 3-4pm in the afternoon you are VERY likely to have a VERY heavy rain storm! It has done this consistently for the past week at least. It is 15.40 just now, and it is torrential rain, it started at 15.00.

To be honest, I could see the rainfall here being enough for a red flag. I think aqua-planing is a very high possibility, given the sheer volume in such a relatively short space of time. The grand prix is due to start at 3pm local time, so that matches almost exactly with the time of day we have storms here.

I will be taking my waterproof jacket and an Umbrella to the race!

http://www.worldweather.org/020/c00082.htm

Wow, thunderstorms !, hope the race doesn't get cancelled.

Those Ferraris look damn quick, especially on the long runs, even though Lewis just put a flyer in at the end there. But, if it's gonna rain, then the race will be another lottery, so it's anyone's guess...

And Yeah, another mighty impressive showing for Vettel, guess that's why there's a few rumours linking him to Ferrari for 2009.
Quote from Lateralus :If we had a season of races like Melbourne 2008? Yeah.

Amount of crashes doesn't equal to great race. Of course it was enjoyable and good "show", at least there was something going on all the time but not what it should be.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Wow, thunderstorms !, hope the race doesn't get cancelled.

Those Ferraris look damn quick, especially on the long runs, even though Lewis just put a flyer in at the end there. But, if it's gonna rain, then the race will be another lottery, so it's anyone's guess...

And Yeah, another mighty impressive showing for Vettel, guess that's why there's a few rumours linking him to Ferrari for 2009.

I would think BMW would have a firm grip on him for when they are ready to win some races.
During the free practice Räikko's Ferrari stopped working...again.. damn
Quote from Töki (HUN) :During the free practice Räikko's Ferrari stopped working...again.. damn

McLaren ECU...

(Not photoshopped, that was in Autosport.com news )
Out of fuel

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG