The online racing simulator
G25 Shifter Leather Cover Thingiemabob
Is anyone else having issues with the leather shift boot on their G25. It's REALLY getting aggravating for me because half the time I go to shift into 5th gear, I mis-shift because the leather folds over on itself and blocks me from getting all the way into fifth. It's driving me nuts!
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Is anyone else having issues with the leather shift boot on their G25. It's REALLY getting aggravating for me because half the time I go to shift into 5th gear, I mis-shift because the leather folds over on itself and blocks me from getting all the way into fifth. It's driving me nuts!

I've missed one or two shifts because of that, but some people have reported it's really annoying or blocks the 6th gear almost every time. Did yours do it from the beginning?
Well I messed around a bit and hadn't noticed the problem ever. Had missed a few shifts before and maybe a couple of times it was due to the shifter boot but user errors more times then not. But trying to reproduce your problem I had trouble until I pushed the top of the boot all the way down, and it thats your problem maybe a drop of super glue or hot glue could hold it up... (I don't know if this voids the warrenty but I would NOT glue the boot as high as you can - [n]make sure it can reach all gears with *some* slack[/b]. Thats an option you could look into I guess.
Yeah, I'm just curious as to whether or not it was just me. And yeah, it blocks 5th gear for me half the time. It didn't happen before... maybe because the leather was stiffer?
Yep, i got that into 6th quite a lot, but i popped a dot of hot glue onto the top of the steel shaft, then slid the gator up to the top and held it there till the glue cooled. Now it's fine, and looks just as good.
Never had the leather cause any misshifts for me. The only thing that happened once, was that the little plastic ring at the top of the leather (which slides up and down on the metal part of the gear stick) became loose and fell into the shifter mechanism.

But that didn't cause occasional misshifts, it made accessing 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th only work very seldom, so it was much more than a simple annoyance. Getting the ring back out of the mechanism and glueing it back to the leather fixed it, though.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG