The online racing simulator
Router Comparison Please!
(7 posts, started )
Here is the situation..
I have been running a bog-standard Netgear DG834 v3 for about a year now, with only a few minor problems...however, I have just changed ISP and they have given me a shiny new Speedtouch 546(i) v6 router free of charge.
The dilemma is: which of these is the best? Do I reconfigure the Netgear and keep it, or do I just install the Speedtouch?
Configuration is no big deal, just a PITA setting up all my ports again, so if there is no big difference in the performance/stability of the two routers, I'll just stick with the Netgear.

Any comments/recommendations??
I'd argue that if you've had no real problems with the NetGear, why switch? If it's not broken, don't fix it, as they would say if they were literate.
Quote from thisnameistaken :.....If it's not broken, don't fix it...

ROFL!..that has always been my motto... the question would be simple if a=b...unlike the question: "I have a 5200 geforce and somebody gave me a 7950, is it worth changing?"

To tell the truth, I don't know which is the better router. If they are basically the same, then "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" obviously applies, but if one is superior to the other, then the decision becomes more involved.
Well, yeah, but my answer would still be the same: If you've got nice, stable networking, stick with what you're using. I've gone through three router/modems since I've had broadband, because I switched from DSL to cable, and then needed wireless. I was equally happy with all three of the routers - they were all basically fine - I only changed them when I needed to.
I personally prefer the netgear's over the speedtouch devices. I find them to be much more stable.
Using a DG834 here, prefer it to the speedtouch I used to have. Prefer it as well to the hub BT gave me, which I believe is also essentially a speedtouch, it dropped the connection a lot more.
Quote from the_angry_angel :I personally prefer the netgear's over the speedtouch devices. I find them to be much more stable.

Quote from Rtsbasic :Using a DG834 here, prefer it to the speedtouch I used to have. Prefer it as well to the hub BT gave me, which I believe is also essentially a speedtouch, it dropped the connection a lot more.

Thanks guys!
THAT'S what I needed to know; cheers!

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG