The online racing simulator
Graphics Help
(8 posts, started )
Graphics Help
I've just bought 256mb XFX GeForce 7600 GS, upgrading from my GeForce 2. I was looking for a great increase in performance, especially in LFS. But, since installing the card, LFS has not improved one bit from before. Still, I get a steady 30 FPS when driving on my own, and 10 FPS with all AI.

I'm not pleased that the main reason I bought a £100 card has not been helped at all. On other games, such as Far Cry, I am able to crank up the graphics, and still get a good, steady frame rate.

Can anybody help?
#2 - Jakg
is HVS on? is the frame limiter on?
Whats the rest of your PC specs like?

If you went from a GF2, I'm willing to put cash on it being a little on the low side....
LFS is mainly CPU limited due to the physics being done in real time, especially with AI (when the CPU has to do all the physics for all the cars in real time). If your CPU isn't up to scratch then you won't gain much in LFS.

Farcry is much more GPU dependant (less physics), and so you benefit.
Quote from Jakg :is HVS on? is the frame limiter on?

What's HVS? My frame limiter is set to 100

Quote from the_angry_angel :Whats the rest of your PC specs like?

If you went from a GF2, I'm willing to put cash on it being a little on the low side....

I have a 1.90 GHz Pentium 4, which is the main reason I lack performace. I may look into getting a higher Pentium 4 as they are coming down in price now.
#6 - Jakg
go to LFS>Options>Graphics>Make sure "Hardware Vertex Shading" is set to "ON"

Turn off the frame limiter (will give you a few more fps anyway) - and a 1.9 P4 is holding you back, but you should still get more than that

What drivers have you installed?
I'll go with eveyone else that it is your cpu holding you back. If you're cpu is weak, then the greatest card won't do anything for you.

FWIW, my 6 yr old daughter plays LFS on her computer networked with me. Celeron 667 MHz and old pci 256mb 9250 Radion card. She gets 30 FPS as well, though at much lower graphics settings and resolution. Though, she is more of a wrecker than a racer Razz . She just loves to drive with me in the autoX arena.
I have narrowed down the problems and have discovered I have an unsufficent power supply. I have a 250W box, and the card requires a 400W box, so when I have that sorted, i'll see what happens.

At the moment, I can't play any games, and am using Windows default drivers.

Graphics Help
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG