The online racing simulator
Visible windshield.
(48 posts, started )
Visible windshield.
I think that for S2 final, it would be nice if we could have visible windshield.
Now, it's just like there is no windshield, because it seems like there's an empty space, like there is no window..
I think a simple effect like some dust on it would do the job, just so i know that it is there... I think it would add a great deal to the whole immersion.
I don't know how difficult would it be to add, or would it affect FPS, but it would be great.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I think that for S2 final, it would be nice if we could have visible windshield.
Now, it's just like there is no windshield, because it seems like there's an empty space, like there is no window..
I think a simple effect like some dust on it would do the job, just so i know that it is there... I think it would add a great deal to the whole immersion.
I don't know how difficult would it be to add, or would it affect FPS, but it would be great.

Interestingly, the windsheild becomes instantly transparant when viewed from the inside. It's there in the outside view.

Try a replay with the LX6, Pause, zoom to a side on view of the windshield. It becomes transparent from one direction but not the other.
So it wouldn't be an FPS killer, who knows why it's not there yet.
Probably because the external shine effect would be the same as the outside if they allowed the outside and inside faces to draw shine. But the inside could be a texture for dirt buildup, however if you really wanted to make it look real, you'd need to make it reflect the top of the dash a bit as well as great an entirely different glare on it. Especially for tintops. The Formula cars have the little wind visor on the front of the cockpit, they are mildly translucent, I'd be happy with something like that even... tho just not so white.
Can't be too hard when NR2003 did it with dirty windshields and tear-offs a few years ago. I'd love to see the windshield get dirty.
devs still have to figure out the alpha layer problem first (for those that dont know.. just look for skid marks through the windows of the FOX or other open wheel car with a windshield [yes.. looking through the shield]) you wont see any

lfs' graphics engine probably needs to be revamped anyway
+1
-1 Makes no difference one way or another.
Quote from XCNuse :devs still have to figure out the alpha layer problem first (for those that dont know.. just look for skid marks through the windows of the FOX or other open wheel car with a windshield [yes.. looking through the shield]) you wont see any

lfs' graphics engine probably needs to be revamped anyway

This also happens in other video games, I can't think of a good example right now, but you'll notice it in games that have transparent effects and decals. I believe it doesn't draw those things at all, since they are technically not viewable, because the engine doesn't account for the transparency of the windshield.
#9 - wark
Well, we got windshields in the formula cars (if you dare set your view to a realistic height!!), but currently you can't see skid marks or the racing "groove" through them... oh, yeah--that should be fixed too.
I don't know if this kind of thing ever works - in Racer there were cars with tinted windows and all it ever did was make the track darker and harder to see. It was an annoying effect that anyone interested in driving (instead of admiring the cleverness) got rid of as soon as possible.

When looking at a computer screen your eyes don't focus beyond the muck or adjust to the tint, because everything is happening on the same plane - its a two-dimensional image no matter how real you imagine it to be. For me, this type of effect is always a barrier to immersion.
thats because in racer, the reflections reflected off the interior window, such as, when live env was enabled, you saw the road on the windscreen
Quote from wheel4hummer :-1 Makes no difference one way or another.

you're saying it makes no difference as when an engine blows and grease and junk goes splatters all over your window or you go rallying and dirt covers the windshield?
Or when someone infront of you hits a dirt patch, and throws it all over your wind shield, making your vision worse.....
with the dirty windshields well need wipers 2... and after that some 1 gets their panties in a bunch again and asks 4 windshield washer...
Quote from loulew :with the dirty windshields well need wipers 2... and after that some 1 gets their panties in a bunch again and asks 4 windshield washer...

Well, most road cars do have 2 wipers, so, yes, there will probably be 2. But for the 4 windshield washers... We would probably only need 1 since we only have 1 windshield.

Cheers!
Isnt the windshiled invisible from the inside because its just one face?
I used to do modelling a few years ago and the faces were only visible from one side.
Quote from Rednik :Isnt the windshiled invisible from the inside because its just one face?

That's precisely the point. We want to have it visible from both sides. Of course, we would need to have working windshield wipers too.
This would be a cool idea, especially the windshield wipers, which would somtimes smear the dirt on the window. Realistic!

And it would be cool to have an option in the pitstop to clean the windows =P

Mabey when S3 is along, LFS will be so far in technolagy that we will see the little pit crew members actually clean the windsheild. Now THAT would be freaking cool
Quote from XCNuse :you're saying it makes no difference as when an engine blows and grease and junk goes splatters all over your window or you go rallying and dirt covers the windshield?

ofcourse it doesnt matter if you blow your engine and no oil splatters on your screen, because if your engine blows your out of the race anyway so why does it matter if losing a race looks good or not my thoughts anyway
Quote from lEl E Talon :ofcourse it doesnt matter if you blow your engine and no oil splatters on your screen, because if your engine blows your out of the race anyway so why does it matter if losing a race looks good or not

I do believe he is talking about the car in front of you puking all the gunk out of its engine and said gunk ending up on your windscreen.

Quote :my thoughts anyway

Your thoughts need more hampsters!
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :

Mabey when S3 is along, LFS will be so far in technolagy that we will see the little pit crew members actually clean the windsheild. Now THAT would be freaking cool

We already had that 11 years ago: Perfectly programmed and stunning looking (if not even photo-realistical) ... remember good old Microprose Grand Prix 2? That IS freaking cool!
Attached images
gp2_pits.jpg
#22 - col
Quote from nihil :When looking at a computer screen your eyes don't focus beyond the muck or adjust to the tint, because everything is happening on the same plane - its a two-dimensional image no matter how real you imagine it to be. For me, this type of effect is always a barrier to immersion.

EXACTLY !

I can't believe how many people don't understand this simple fact.

When you are driving, you never look at the muck on the windscreen, you always look through/past it. The most you ever see is a slight blurring (or heavy blurring) of the view. Unfortunately, until your PC can look into your eyes, analyse how the muscles are distorting the lens and react by choosing to focus/blur different depth regions of the image* - in real time - this kind of effect will never be 'realistic' it will just amplify the unrealistic aspects of PC sims (flat screen etc.) compromising immersion.

*A more sensible system would use some sort of binocular type 3d shutter glasses and just look at both eyes working out where their focus converges rather than looking at the lenses.

--------------------

Quote from XCNuse :you're saying it makes no difference as when an engine blows and grease and junk goes splatters all over your window or you go rallying and dirt covers the windshield?

Of course it makes a difference, but with current tech, its not possible to do the effect in a remotely convincing/realistic way, so why bother ?.
The best thing I guess would be to have transparent hazy, very blurred blobs appear and have wipers to remove them, but I'm not sure is would be worth the hassle.
However it's done, most folks will look at it before racing a few laps and go "wow, thats cool!". Then after a few laps they will go "wow that's annoying!" and turn it off for ever more.... (maybe occasionally turning it on briefly to show their mates.)
For some (different) reason you tend to "look through" it in sims to. In GTR2, when I'm focussed I don't really notice it a lot at all except for certain circumstances - but it's there (dirt etc). The trick is just to find the balance to make it subtle enough. Just because things can't be done perfectly doesn't mean they shouldn't be done at all. I imagine you play LFS with no sound and no graphics then right? :rolleyes:

Anything to at least mimick things that happen IRL are worthwhile in a sim.
+1
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :For some (different) reason you tend to "look through" it in sims to. In GTR2, when I'm focussed I don't really notice it a lot at all except for certain circumstances - but it's there (dirt etc). The trick is just to find the balance to make it subtle enough. Just because things can't be done perfectly doesn't mean they shouldn't be done at all. I imagine you play LFS with no sound and no graphics then right? :rolleyes:

Anything to at least mimick things that happen IRL are worthwhile in a sim.

'

Visible windshield.
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG