The online racing simulator
Ford return to BTCC after 8 years
(38 posts, started )
Quote :Arena, who had previously run the works Honda squad in the BTCC, announced on Tuesday that they will field a team of Independently-run Ford Focus STs in 2009 with multiple race-winner Tom Chilton as the lead driver.

I know many people here dislike the BTCC, but I think it's nice to see Ford back (unfortunatley not with a factory team though).

Will be interesting to see how the Focus performs.
Cool. As it happens, I'm currently wearing my Ford Team Mondeo t-shirt, bought at a BTCC race back in the day. At the time, they were the only car to have an engine that sounded different to the rest of the pack, and in a good way too.
I would imagine its the same engine that's used in the Volvo C30 from the STCC and WTCC, so it won't sound as tasty as the old V6's in the ST200 era Mondeo

Aslong as they don't have the run the silly camber the Volvo's do!!!!.

I await piccies of the Arena Focus
Will be good to see the blue oval banging doors again.

Hopefully a good show by Arena will pave the way towards a works team

Although I'd like to see them run the Mondeo. I don't like these hatchback touring cars.
#5 - amp88
I heard those old V6 Mondeos at Knockhill back in the day. Very nice sound. Not really that interested in Ford returning to the BTCC at the moment though.
Yes, I was hoping they would run the Mondie, however, I think they'd be too big and unwieldy to be competetive.

Also, all the engine development, which was a bit I imagine seeing as they have to sleeve a 2.5lt 5 cylinder engine down to 2lt, has already been done by Volvo for the C30, so it's a logical step to use the Focus, assuming they are going to use the same engine, and not some other 4 cylinder lump.
Quote from danowat :Yes, I was hoping they would run the Mondie, however, I think they'd be too big and unwieldy to be competetive.

I thought the same about the Vectra.

Aren't the two comparable in size?
Good point, hadn't thought of that!!!
#9 - mr_x
I'm quite happy about this, always been a Ford fan, got a Focus now and will probably get a Focus for my next car too (maybe an ST), so will be following this one very closely. Shame about Tom Chilton, but I will be proven wrong if he does come good this year.
what a joy to see this news.

cant wait to see the focus racing

im a bit of a ford fan.....see photo! (2 of the 3 i dont own anymore, but you get the idea!)
Attached images
love fords.JPG
-
(DeKo) DELETED by DeKo
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :They will use the WTCC Ford Focus, it's cheaper to adapt it for the BTCC than make a whole new car.

http://www.pidocchio.net/turbo ... wtccFord%20Focus%2013.jpg

http://www.pidocchio.net/turbo ... wtccFord%20Focus%2008.jpg

Other sources are saying they will use the Focus ST 5-door. Which doesn't exist yet AFAIK, unless it's going to be a Dynamics type issue with ST running gear in the normal one.

Speculation is that it will be the same I5 engine used in the Polestar Volvo C30s - they will be the same model.
Quote from duke_toaster :Other sources are saying they will use the Focus ST 5-door. Which doesn't exist yet AFAIK, unless it's going to be a Dynamics type issue with ST running gear in the normal one.

Speculation is that it will be the same I5 engine used in the Polestar Volvo C30s - they will be the same model.

It does exist, and have been existing all the time.
Ooh good news! Shame it's not factory run, nor a Mondeo, but it's still good.
Quote from Mikkel Petersen :It does exist, and have been existing all the time.

Sorry, I've been talking out of my arse, I was thinking of a saloon ST, and they will be using the 5-door hatch, which is in existance.

Minimaxman : Bear in mind this is independant, it simply appears that the Focus is more suited to Super 2000 than the Mondeo.
Yeh I agree the Focus seems the more obvious choice, I just miss the days of seeing big 5-door Mondeos, 406s, 3 series, Cavaliers and Primeras blatting round.
Quote from Minimaxman :Yeh I agree the Focus seems the more obvious choice, I just miss the days of seeing big 5-door Mondeos, 406s, 3 series, Cavaliers and Primeras blatting round.

yes i miss that too
#18 - JCTK
Quote from Syfoon :I thought the same about the Vectra.

Aren't the two comparable in size?

I think the latest mondeo has grown quite a lot in size through, making it very incompatible (or uncompetitive) for BTCC...
hatchback is the way to go... short car with long(ish) wheelbase and short overhangs...
Quote from JCTK :I think the latest mondeo has grown quite a lot in size through, making it very incompatible (or uncompetitive) for BTCC...
hatchback is the way to go... short car with long(ish) wheelbase and short overhangs...

Just had a proper nose at the bloke over the roads Mondie, it is pretty large.

I was just hoping for seeing the Vectra, Mondeo and any BMW 320's hacking round Brands
#20 - mr_x
Yeah my dad has a new Mondeo and it's huge, too big for touring cars that's for certain. I'd love to see it in touring car form though. At the same time, can't wait to see the Focus in its touring car form.
Mannn sweet. Im a big follower of the BTCC.
I was a bit miffed to see Seat leave though.

Anyone know who Jason Plato is driving for next season?
Quote from Cpl.Anger :Anyone know who Jason Plato is driving for next season?

Not yet, however, there are a couple of free spots in teams, Tempus have a seat going in their Lacetti's, and we still don't know who will partner Chilton in the 2nd Focus.

I think James Thompson is going to make a return to BTCC, with Team Dynamics.
Quote from danowat :
I think James Thompson is going to make a return to BTCC, with Team Dynamics.

It seems very likely, although I do think it's slightly insane that the guy has not been offered a drive in one of the top WTCC teams. I definately think he is too good for the BTCC. Plato will probably end up in an independant team running the old Seat Leons.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :These guys do have a point though, they could use the saloon version of the Focus. My uncle has one, it's not very nice to look at but it's smaller than the Mondeo and a 5 door.

http://www.msdesigndirect.com/ ... ocus_Sedan2004_titelb.jpg

Really? I think the saloon is nicer than the hatch - it looks a lot more "racey". I could just see it slammed on some big wheels, and a phat spoiler hanging off the back. Would remind me of the Cavs that Vauxhall used to race in the 90s.

(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG