The online racing simulator
Set ups
(40 posts, started )
A good setup makes a lot of difference to me and my driving style. I drive a lot IRL and find it difficult to translate those real life experiences into LFS. Non of my online friends own a car and they are all faster than me - real wierd.

When looking to make a set up for any track - I take an aston club set - and then tweak the brakes - camber and tyre pressures. If the track has a fast straight - the gearing is normally about spot on. If shorter then just have to adjust the gearing to suit. Im never gonna be a world record beater but for what ever reason - Im just comfortable that way.

One team mate tweaks set and goes considerably faster - I drive his sets, and I cant touch his pace.
Here is an EASY RACE setup pack that is getting a little old. IT is VERY helpfull though.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... &highlight=Easy+Setup

If I arrive at a track/car combo I am un familiar with I usually go grab a set from Inferno. I have the ones above installed. And of course the RACE-S default one.

I start with the Default Race setup. Do about 3 or 4 laps and watch my best time. Then I see if I find either the HIGH Downforce or LOW Downforce EASY set from the above link is easier/faster and then last but not least I try the Inferno Set I downloaded. I stick with the best one for my style. As time goes on and people that are using other sets give you theirs to try, you try those. Eventually I end up with a set called something like BESTFERNOfoxBLgp1 or something like that for a given track/car.

Now if I could just become a decent driver. LOL. But I am often happy to be a few seconds behind the leaders given how much I drive compared to most of them.

C.
Quote from BlueFlame :Try to get as close to a WR as you can with the RACE_S setup with the XRT, then you tell me its not down to setups.. thats like 1 even 2 seconds off the pace

Spikee was driving RACE_S on bl gp with XRT for a while. He got it to high 23.x I believe, and that was less than 0.5s from his PB. I'm pretty sure Svemirko Joca could do mid 23 with it. So you can't blame 1-2 sec only on the set; the original 0.5s estimate is pretty accurate in this case, I'd say.
#29 - halo
+1 for forced set on servers as an option.
This forced set could be a neutral car set, with few people inside.(for fun-XFG)

For me,
Mind/mood+Correct Setup=driving pleasure.
With the bad set, you have to deal with the moments; "trying drive faster",
With the correct set, you feel that you can push more and good lap times comes after naturally.
A good set (it may not WR sets) makes sense.
"Good" means the set is suitable to your driving style and it "whispers" to you; "you can do better".

I suggest to learn setup creation/adjusting in details for your benefits, otherwise you have to rely on your luck.

I have many sets, included WR set. I made a new one with changing springs frequency and related other adjustments and i made my pb.(1.33.46) at BL1 with this new set. It is interesting because it is quite out of mostly familiar settings in terms of spring strength.
Try it if you want, it provides good handling but keep away from the bumps.
Attached files
XF GTI_^afunset_46man.set - 132 B - 284 views
Yeah, I think a forced setup would be good aswell.
Also as many of you have said that if you don't have a good setup then you won't be fast, I don't beleive that at all.
I find you can drive on almost any setup and still be inside atleast 1 second of the world record. I don't really get too technical with my setups, I just tweak them to what makes it easier for me, after all, setups are for making the driving easier for you, the driver, not making it harder.
Forcing same set-ups would be a good option on some servers for a change of pace. However, I don't think it would be fair to implement it too much due to the various driving styles and hardware amongst the different players.

I normally use a G-25, but when some of my squadmates jump on, they use a KB & mouse. To be fair, I'll use KB&M also and my "awesome" setup (for my wheel) is all over the place when using the mouse. (I know...I know...LOL.)

As for me, I've downloaded and tried countless setups on various cars. Many WR sets I have tried were useless to me because of the differences between my driving style and the creator's driving style. I like to brake before I turn in and I prefer to take cleaner lines. Many,not all, but many WR sets drift around and slide a lot as you can see in many WR replays and they won't help you remain competitive in races longer than 5-10 laps since the camber/toe angles are so extreme the tires wear very quickly. Furthermore, I have found many WR sets are less than friendly when cantact is made between to vehicles. It often comes down to personal preference and driving style.

The most important "setup" for me is gear ratio. As long as my car has decent acceleration throughout the powerband and handles predictably, I am happy. For example, in the underpowered UF1 races, I loved my personal "suspension" setup because it fits my style. However, I would always get dusted in the straights by cars I kept up with or passed around the corners. Because I am competent, but not great at setting gear ratios yet (even w/ the help of the GR Calc.) I took some WR gear setups as a testbed, set my gear ratio to my liking, and kept my "suspension" setup that suited my style. I improved considerably once my car's acceleration was competitive with the majority of the field.

As it was said before, setups are not the end all be all to winning races. The most important thing is to learn your vehicles limitations and increase your skill level. I could have the best setup in the world, but I wouldn't have a snowball's chance of winning against a truly skilled racer that mastered both his car and the track running a default setup.

My friends and I were KB&M in a server a few nights ago. A driver who won most of the races asked what we were using? We responded KB&M and he said he was using an X-Box controller. I told my friends on TS that I was gonna switch to the wheel and "put him down". Although my race improved considerably with the wheel, I still lost a couple to him for no other reason than the fact that he was more skilled with his particular car on that specific track.
Setups
I think it would be a good idea to at least have the option to have a forced setup online, for some servers at least, could make for some close racing.

On a slightly related subject, how do you send someone a setup? (had a request from someone and i've only just started to race online)
Nice bump
Quote from JasonL220 :Nice bump

Nice reply
Anyways you can send setup by pressing "n" and in the connection list click "ss" to send setup. In the same connection list you can see green "S" when someone sends you a setup.
Quote from VexorG :I think it would be a good idea to at least have the option to have a forced setup online, for some servers at least, could make for some close racing.

You should try the Dead Men Racing server (dMR) on Sunday evenings then

Team racing with fixed setups. It's a unique (afaik) concept where you are paired up automatically with a partner. The fastest guy with the slowest guy, second fastest with second slowest etc. You then race one leg each (pitting mid race for a driver change. Everyone has to use the RACE_S setup.

It's fun! Give it a go. I really should do it more often myself
Ive been thinking about this post since it was first put up and the answer is........ 42!

btw my opinion is that there should be a limited setup option, not a fixed setup option (ie tyre presures, toe, fluffy dice etc still adjustable)

Troy
Quote from FlintFredstone :btw my opinion is that there should be a limited setup option, not a fixed setup option

QFT!

Each car need limited setup parameters like they would irl. The amount of adjustments you can do to some of the road cars is ridiculous.
Off topic: Moose, whenever I glance over your avatar it always seems to say "Shitehead" at the bottom I always have to look twice to verify that that's not the case
Quote from obsolum :Off topic: Moose, whenever I glance over your avatar it always seems to say "Shitehead" at the bottom I always have to look twice to verify that that's not the case

It sums me up pretty well. Don't bother with a second look
#40 - AMB
Quote from The Moose :It sums me up pretty well. Don't bother with a second look

I clocked that a while ago didn't I

Set ups
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG