The online racing simulator
What happens When we reach Patch Z S2, will it go to S3?
Of course not, We will either go beta (highly doubt it though), or 0.6 Alpha Patch A.
what is beta?
#4 - Slopi
"Beta" is usually the stage in development of software, just before the 'final' version is complete. Mind you, 'final' does not mean complete in most cases, that is why you see new versions of non-beta software all the time. Beta is still to be considered a test stage though, where everything following the beta isn't.
Does it matter what they call LFS?, bottomline, its better now than it's ever been, and will continue to get better.

Forget the name tags, and just drive the damn thing
Quote from Gintoki :What happens When we reach Patch Z S2, will it go to S3?

If more patches are required you usually add extra digits like going from 9 to 10 so the series continues

......X, Y, Z, AA, AB, AC......

Maxim
Quote from h3adbang3r :Of course not, We will either go beta (highly doubt it though), or 0.6 Alpha Patch A.

I highly doubt that it will go to beta testing. I am really sure that it's 0.6 Alpha Patch A.
Quote from MaximUK :If more patches are required you usually add extra digits like going from 9 to 10 so the series continues

......X, Y, Z, AA, AB, AC......

Maxim

Read above posts. Or are you talking about the test patches?
to answer the original question, it will goto 0.6.
And as it will be the initial release of 0.6, it wont be known as 0.6 patch A... until the first 0.6 patch is released

i thought that with software development, alpha was version 0 to 0.5
and beta was 0.6 to 0.9

either way, we should be happy with the progress
The 0.5 thing never appeared on the front page of the LFS web site! I highly doubt we will simply have a patch A again with a 0.6! That would be too much confusing on the web site! There 're plenty of ways to continu the series.
I hope some day see LFS raining!! maybe at S3? Is it any kind of chanco to see a huge development regarding S3?? I mean , to be a LFS as a option to buy.
Quote from DasBoeseC :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

.....as far as I know 0.6 should be the initial release version of S2.....

yes, so "Alpha level software can be considered approximately 35% complete"
and "Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete"

i think that they should start from 0.1 again just to confuse the noobs :P
Quote from Scawen himself on Beta/Alpha:

Quote :Just a note about BETA / ALPHA.

LFS must be called ALPHA while there are blatantly unfinished things. Such as : AI drivers can't pit. F11 and F12 don't work in single player. These have still not been fixed, because there were more important and more interesting things to be done for this patch.

BETA has a clear definition : The software is 100% finished, and is in final testing before release. So... in Beta stage, only very minor changes and bug fixes can be made. Beta is a shorter stage of development, unless the developer seriously underestimated how complete the software was.

So... the next patch is still Alpha, just a better Alpha than you have at the moment, and with some new features and improvements, which I am sure you will like.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=99226#post99226
#14 - Jakg
Quote from Mike85 :I predict that S2 0.5 Y will be even more hardware demanding.

thats a big claim, considering you've seen none of the code
Quote from Jakg :thats a big claim, considering you've seen none of the code

...that Scawen hasn't written yet.
About the CPU ! Does LSF use more than one core on a multi core CPU?
I would guess that it doesn't since the game is pretty old
Just wondering!
We have to see I think they will go on with Version AA or something like that, its not that much confusing.

As far as I know S3 is still far away... I heard people saying it would come next year, Don't know if that is true we just have to wait and see.
Old?? It's still in development Yes, the code was started before dual core but that doesn't mean it can't be added. Possibly?
#19 - Jakg
Quote from Maelstrom :About the CPU ! Does LSF use more than one core on a multi core CPU?
I would guess that it doesn't since the game is pretty old
Just wondering!

This game is actually fairly new patch wise, but no multi-threading (yet, i hope) - more and more games are getting multi-threaded, but most new games aren't
Quote from TiJay :Old?? It's still in development Yes, the code was started before dual core but that doesn't mean it can't be added. Possibly?

Quote from Jakg :This game is actually fairly new patch wise, but no multi-threading (yet, i hope) - more and more games are getting multi-threaded, but most new games aren't

When I said old i meant that it started a long time ago. I have that feeling (I maybe wrong) that multi threading have to be think from the beginning even if it doens't mean that improvements done later could be done in that way.

Would be nice if AI were calculated on other cores
Quote from Mike85 :I predict that S2 0.5 Y will be even more hardware demanding.

I would actually predict the exact opposite. Each patch, Scawen finds places to streamline the code and make it better. We also know that the next patch will be incompatible and have physics changes. This is the perfect time for Scawen to make big changes that could improve fps since everything will be incompatible anyway.

People are getting fewer fps in Patch X because the grids are bigger. But, I think that comparing apples to apples, Patch X gives better fps than patch U, V, or W.
Quote from Maelstrom :When I said old i meant that it started a long time ago. I have that feeling (I maybe wrong) that multi threading have to be think from the beginning even if it doens't mean that improvements done later could be done in that way.

Would be nice if AI were calculated on other cores

But if you dont have a dual core processor then it could affect how you can play the game, even if your processor is faster than a dual core
Duuude hehe, you thinking about S3 allready? Put more twenty years until there... no offense
I find it funny with people talking about beta's and the testing involved. LFS has certainly gone through a different process of development than most games with thousands testing alpha daily

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG