The online racing simulator
Are you with Plusnet?
(53 posts, started )
Are you with Plusnet?
Hi All,

Just some info for you. I was with Plusnet for over 2.5yrs, no problems at all, then PN decide to install some new Network Management Software. Well guess what. This software is not managing the Network very well. If you are on Plusnet, and having connection problems to LFS, and any other game for that matter, I am afriad, that you have 2 choices.

1. To Grin and Bear it

2. Change ISP

Both me and d34no from T7R had the same problems with Plusnet, and I live East in the UK, and he lives in Scotland. We both changed to another ISP
and the problems have gone away.

Plusnet have confirmed there is problems, and have tried everything, and they still have very high Latency issues. ( Problem being, 3-4 Servers in LFS would ping at 28-30, the rest, anything upto 3000ms )

So, if your with Plusnet, and your having Latency issues with Online Gaming in General, now you know why.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Best Regards

Fordie
ouch! that sucks man...why doesnt plusnet switch back to the old system??
Quote from kiss me :ouch! that sucks man...why doesnt plusnet switch back to the old system??

Don't know, according to the forums, they are loosing people faster than they can keep them happy
thats understandable...
sucks tho
Heh, I'm one step ahead of the game here. I was with Plus.Net, then they went shit, then switched to Eclipse, then they went shit, now I'm with Enta. Fingers crossed this one will stay good.
Quote from Fordman :Oh My, fingers crossed

I'll give eclipse their due, they aren't that bad. For dirty leechers (like Bob ) they have introduced a packet shaping approach to things. Interestingly if you upgrade to the gold package it makes no differences from a bronze package. At least in our experience (we tested it on a few lines, in different locations).

We're fairly confident with the eclipse packages at the moment, and as such are migrating all our home workers from Zen to them. So far, no eclipse specific issues.
#8 - SamH
A friend of mine is a moderator on the Plusnet forums. I give him a really hard time about Plusnet because of their obsession with traffic shaping.

I hope Plusnet crash and burn, in all honesty. A company that's so offensively overbearing with its client-base shouldn't exist. It defies everything I believe about corporate Darwinism.

If you're with Plusnet, I'd strongly suggest you get out now, because it's only going to get worse. It's been getting worse for the last 2 or 3 years, but now it's just gone beyond a joke. I mean.. really!
Indeed, every ISP I've ever ditched has only been due to either myself moving house and or unsubtle traffic shaping stuck on my connection.

My current ISP has download limits, a first for me, but 450GB a month is a bit more sensible than the usual 10 or 20GB most ISPs "offer". With four of us sharing the net, we'll be able to stay under this limit as long as we're sensible.

Btw if you're thinking 450GB a month doesn't seem like a limit at all, you can technically get ~2.5TB per month on an 8Mb line if you max it 24/7.
I'm with PlusNet and are having the problems you described above hence I haven't played LFS for a while now. The problem is though i've only been with them for around 5 or 6 months and isn't it a 12 month contract? Or have they got a clause in there which means I can get out?!

Thanxs
Andy
Quote from AndyC :I'm with PlusNet and are having the problems you described above hence I haven't played LFS for a while now. The problem is though i've only been with them for around 5 or 6 months and isn't it a 12 month contract? Or have they got a clause in there which means I can get out?!

Thanxs
Andy

No AndyC, its a 1 Month contract. Quick getout now, and goto Eclipse, they are blooming Marvelous

PS - Mention me when you do
My self and P1lot recommend VISPA as a new ISP. VERY VERY VERY good

No limitations as long as you pick the right service for yourself. No hidden traffic shaping or any of that guff.
#13 - mr_x
I recommend Pipex myself. been with them for 3 years, and never had 1 disconnect or slow internet at all!

The only 1 time I did have a problem was because of a faulty phone line, so that's BTs fault, not Pipex
My mate works for Plus.Net and the internt at my work is Plus.net and my local has plus.net and no problemos here. But, I'm guessing its different for different people

P.S I with Wanadoo/Wanapoo/Wanadon't etc
Always been with Telewest Blueyonder here. Always been great for me. been down twice for a day since ive been with them and was some initial problems with packet loss (resolved fairly quickly) i Would change to another ISP only if it matched the following:

1.) REAL Broadband (eg cable). not that through the phone line rubbish.
2.) Not having to have a phone line.
3.) Better speeds.

4...) cant really comment on the costs because for me Blueyonder is UBER cheap. (theres a story behind that..)

One thing about Plus.Net though. They contacted me via E-mail about people having connection problems on my servers for LFS. Asked for a few details (IP) so that they could change the routing to my servers from them.. Wether they actually did it or not.. or if they did and made no difference. who's to know....
Glad i left them when i did. Im worried to say that so far TalkTalk have been just as reliable as PlusNet were.
Quote from franky500 :Always been with Telewest Blueyonder here. Always been great for me. been down twice for a day since ive been with them and was some initial problems with packet loss (resolved fairly quickly) i Would change to another ISP only if it matched the following:

1.) REAL Broadband (eg cable). not that through the phone line rubbish.
2.) Not having to have a phone line.
3.) Better speeds.

4...) cant really comment on the costs because for me Blueyonder is UBER cheap. (theres a story behind that..)

One thing about Plus.Net though. They contacted me via E-mail about people having connection problems on my servers for LFS. Asked for a few details (IP) so that they could change the routing to my servers from them.. Wether they actually did it or not.. or if they did and made no difference. who's to know....

Cable this cable that ( If I could I would ) LOL.

Basically, cambridge is cabled ( 30mile south ) and norwich is cabled ( 30miles north ) but no cable available here. Either run out, or the engineers thought ( sod Thetford, I ain't going through there )
Heh, I'm having similar problems with Tiscali, i can recommned not touching them with a barge pole or any other elongated items :S. they drop packets like nobodies business between 5pm and 12am, and even when they arent at peak times we supposedly have a 2mb line and if im lucky i'll get 80kb/s and apparently our line will take up to 7mb :P. randomly throws me out of xfire and MSN and wont let me sign in because of port problems apparently. Want to move back to NTL and cable internet as it is so much better...
Bob, what enta reseller are you with? I'm in the middle of migrating to aquiss atm after nildram went crap
I'll let you know tomorrow, my house mate ordered the connection but he's gone to bed now.
A quick ISP round up from my point of view:

talktalk: gf used to be with them but on wanted to close the account (after moving house) she got involved in a 4 month battle to get a final bill. They wouldn't acknowledge cancelling the account, and got a credit collection agency involved to collect on a bill they wouldn't send out. illepall
Wanadoo: avoid. I've helped three people with their net connections and their problems were only solved by moving ISP.
Tiscali: As wanadoo, but only one person.
Pipex: I'm with them, but wouldn't recommend them. Problems with billing and customer support - 4 out of 5 emails are deleted unread (turning on read receipts can be handy!). Service has been ok though.

Good luck to plusnet users everywhere.
Quote from dUmAsS : I'm in the middle of migrating to aquiss atm after nildram went crap

What went bad?

I have been with Nildram for years (Nildram is Pipex) and have no probs but would like a heads up if theres probs coming my way?

SD.
Yup sadly have to say it, I am with plus net!
Stupid service, use to be very good when I first started back in 2005 with them! Just gone down down down down and a bit more down hill!
I am as we speak looking for a new ISP!

Are you with Plusnet?
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG