The online racing simulator
Upgrade Advice - CPU or GPU?
(31 posts, started )
i have a xp2600+ (1.99ghz)
1gb corsair extreme ram (pc3200)
and had a fx5200 and it ran lfs at about 50fps on a fair sized grid. i then bought a pci-e (converted to agp) gigabyte 6600gt silentpipe (25% faster than normal gt's) and now i get 60-80 fps. i just don't understand why he is getting bad fps the a much faster cpu than i had
#27 - Jakg
Celerons arent quick, and im geussing its a pc from a shop and therefore it probably has generic ram and a poor quality mobo
urgh, not one of those 'pc's from a shop'
ram and motherboard are not going to play much part in lfs performance, unless you want to get into overclocking, so far as I can see.

my athlon 1800 played lfs fine, main benefit I saw from upgrading it was that I can go through replays at 16x now...
Quote from audimasta :Hi there Zero 7.

I had a 2.8 celeron prosessor on my old computer and a Radeon 9250 graphics card, 700RAM....My framerate was in the same league as you, and i bought the 6600 GT. I had NO increase in framerate at all. So my experience is that LFS HATE Celerons.

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread where I tell about my problem, and read the posts that follows. Hope it helps. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3079&page=2

Thanks for the link audimasta, however I don't really see how you fixed it (if you ever did). I see that your mobo AGP port is set 4X, where as mine is 8X. There is also some conflict between some people saying that the Celeron is the bottleneck and others saying that it could be slow RAM. Did you OC your Celeron like I have (in bios under Frequency Control)?

I also saw a comment that AGP isn't much use with cards that have more than 256MB RAM - is this true? I'll google it, but why then would manufacturers make a 512MB card like the 7600 I posted above? I'm still edging towards the 7600 and for the sake of £20 it's worth the extra power.

Quote from Jakg :well i used to run with a 6600GT (i had two, but i could never get SLi (running two together to get almost twice the power) quite happily, youll get good FPS, and you can add some aa and af, athough with vista comes DX10, so...

Got any going spare??
Quote from Zero7 :Thanks for the link audimasta, however I don't really see how you fixed it (if you ever did). I see that your mobo AGP port is set 4X, where as mine is 8X. There is also some conflict between some people saying that the Celeron is the bottleneck and others saying that it could be slow RAM. Did you OC your Celeron like I have (in bios under Frequency Control)?

Well, i fixed the problem by building a new computer. Bought a new mothercard, processor (this time AMD 64), new ram etc. I don't hope you have to do this though....

I don't really know what to "OC" my Celeron means, but i didn't do anything with it in the bios or anything. Playing with processors is not my thing

As you say, you AGP port is set to 8x, wich can be a difference (i have no clue).

Good luck!
In my view, dump the Celeron for a Pentium or any other processor. Celerons have minimal cache and are dog slow when asked to do more than surf the net.
All the Athalons, Selerons etc are faster and there's a good chance that the Video card won't improve things.

My opinion, get the best processor you can afford <100 and look for an older gefore 4 Ti or ATI 9600/9800. These run LFS really well (only DX8 remember).

Upgrade Advice - CPU or GPU?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG